Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Autonomous Vehicles News and Discussions

Tesla autonomous vehicles self-driving cars passenger drones AVs Google Uber Autopilot driverless car self-driving truck

• Please log in to reply
391 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The World’s First Autonomous Ship Will Set Sail In 2018

A Norwegian container ship called the Yara Birkeland will be the world’s first electric, autonomous, zero-emissions ship.
With a capacity of up to 150 shipping containers, the battery-powered ship will be small compared to modern standards (the biggest container ship in the world holds 19,000 containers, and an average-size ship holds 3,500), but its launch will mark the beginning of a transformation of the global shipping industry. This transformation could heavily impact global trade as well as the environment.

S7shTFn.jpg

• eacao likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

Does a barge count as a ship?

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,743 posts

Daimler backs radical eighteen rotor autonomous air taxi
Source: Daily Mail

German automobile firm Daimler and other investors have has invested more than $29 million dollars (25 million euro) in aviation start-up Volocopter.

Volocopter plans to use the money to invest in further developing its electrically powered, autonomous Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) aircraft and 'conquer' the market for flying air taxis.

Volocopter's 'Volocopter 2X' is a fully electric VTOL with 18 quiet rotors and a maximum airspeed of 100 kilometers (62 miles) per hour - and it can transport two passengers without a pilot.

...snip...

Volocopter announced that in the fourth quarter of 2017, it will work with Dubai's Road and Transport Authority (RTA) to conduct tests of its vehicle as an autonomous air taxi. The trial operations and certification program is expected to continue for five years

Read more: http://www.dailymail...s-air-taxi.html

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Mazda to put self-driving technology in all car models by 2025

• Mazda said it would launch a new engine in 2019 that would be the first commercial gasoline engine to use compression ignition, improving fuel efficiency
  • Mazda said autonomous-driving technology would be standard on all its models by 2025

• Casey likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,743 posts

Tesla applying to test self-driving semi-trucks in Nevada and California
brian wang | August 10, 2017 |

Tesla is developing a long-haul, electric semi-truck that can drive itself and move in “platoons” that automatically follow a lead vehicle, and is getting closer to testing a prototype, according to an email discussion of potential road tests between the car company and the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), seen by Reuters.

California officials are meeting with Tesla on Wednesday “to talk about Tesla’s efforts with autonomous trucks,” state DMV spokeswoman Jessica Gonzalez said.

https://www.nextbigf...california.html

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Tesla developing self-driving tech for semi-truck, wants to test in Nevada

Long-haul, electric semi-truck that can drive itself and move in "platoons" that automatically follow a lead vehicle

Tesla Inc is developing a long-haul, electric semi-truck that can drive itself and move in "platoons" that automatically follow a lead vehicle, and is getting closer to testing a prototype, according to an email discussion of potential road tests between the car company and the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), seen by Reuters.
Meanwhile, California officials are meeting with Tesla on Wednesday "to talk about Tesla's efforts with autonomous trucks," state DMV spokeswoman Jessica Gonzalez told Reuters.
The correspondence and meeting show that Tesla is putting self-driving technology into the electric truck it has said it plans to unveil in September, and is advancing toward real-life tests, potentially moving it forward in a highly competitive area of commercial transport also being pursued by Uber Technologies Inc [UBER.UL] and Alphabet Inc's Waymo.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Intel says it will build a fleet of 100 fully autonomous vehicles

Fresh off its acquisition of auto-visual company Mobileye, Intel announced today that it will build a fleet of Level 4, fully self-driving vehicles for testing in the US, Israel, and Europe. The first vehicles will hit the road later this year, and the fleet will eventually scale to more than 100 automobiles.
The cars will be Level 4 autonomous, meaning that they will be capable of handing most driving situations themselves, whereas Level 5 is largely theoretical and covers complete automation in any condition.
Intel announced plans to acquire Israel-based Mobileye for $15.3 billion back in March. That deal just closed on Tuesday, spurring the chipmaker to begin making aggressive moves in the emerging self-driving market that Intel itself predicted will come to be worth over $7 trillion. Intel previously said it will spend $250 million over the next two years on the development of autonomous vehicles.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Intel’s Acquisition Of Mobileye To “Accelerate The Future Of Autonomous Driving”

Intel’s acquisition of outstanding ordinary shares of Mobileye NV is now complete, which should soon make some of the goals of the acquisition more clear. That means Intel is spending roughly $15.3 billion to acquire around 84% of Mobileye’s ordinary shares. With that in mind, the newest press release (revealing the completion of the tender offer) states that Intel estimates the “vehicle systems, data, and services market opportunity to be up to $70 billion by 2030.”
While it had been obvious that Intel’s interest in Mobileye was partly in order to play catchup in the self-driving vehicle sector, hearing exact figures like that is still pretty interesting.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Driverless Cars - The Race to Level 5 Autonomous Vehicles

Much like the infamous flying car, people have been dreaming of cars that can do the driving for them for nearly a century.
While their aerial brethren are still largely mired in the conceptual stage, the technology to put self-driving cars on the road is already here. Of course, there are still questions of legislation, liability and ethics to consider, but almost every major automotive company currently has a self-driving car either being tested on the road or in the works.
Meanwhile, many companies outside the automotive industry are now either producing or partnering with more experienced to make autonomous vehicles a reality. With so many players in the game, producing so many different vehicles, we wanted to take a look at who is doing what and how far along they are.
Cars with autonomous capabilities are currently ranked on a level system established by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). The levels range from 0 to 5, with Level 0 being no automation at all and Level 5 being completely autonomous in all conditions.

QZgkHHC.png

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

NVIDIA CEO: fully autonomous branded cars will start hitting around 2020 and 2021

NVIDIA began in the the spring of 2016 to profit from the transitioning toward self-driving vehicles when it started shipping its DRIVE PX 2 AI (artificial intelligence) car platform. This is a supercomputer for processing and interpreting all the data taken in by the various sensors about the surroundings of semi-autonomous and fully autonomous vehicles.

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The Paradox of Safety Testing Autonomous Cars

Automotive engineers have to redefine standard safety tests for self-driving cars

A motorcycle helmet strapped onto my head, I nod at my driver as he charges into the beginning of a hot lap, snaking through hairpin turns in a black Dodge Charger, the wheel screaming and spinning out behind us. This is one of the final tests for passenger cars, to determine how the vehicle will handle under the extreme condition of sharp turns on uncertain roads. I laugh almost hysterically as we hit gravel purposely thrown on the track and the back end of the car whips out more dramatically.
But despite the chaos, my driver laughs. “What seems to be losing control and causing the rear end to slide,” Mark Tami says, “is actually being able to make it slide where you want to and make it stop sliding when you want to.”
Tami was then the director of the Transportation Research Center, who left the position shortly after I visited in late June. I had traveled 40 miles west of Columbus, Ohio, to the TRC, the largest independent vehicle-testing center in North America, to understand how engineers at the center are starting to designsafety tests for autonomous cars.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,743 posts

New Tesla Autopilot Software Update Increases Shadow Mode Data Collection

September 1st, 2017 by Steve Hanley

This article on Tesla Autopilot was first published on Gas2.

Elon Musk is not a man who is easily deterred. Nearly a year ago, he announced that a Tesla using Autopilot software would drive from Los Angeles to New York City without any input from a human driver before the end of 2017. The end of the year is rapidly approaching, so Father Time is holding Musk’s feet to the fire to make him make good on his claim.

One facet of Tesla’s Autopilot system — now known as AP 2 since it’s a “second” round of Autopilot hardware — is that every Tesla manufactured since October 2016 has been gathering data from every mile it is driven, and sharing that data with the Tesla Mother Ship in Silicon Valley. Operating in “shadow mode,” the system does not directly affect how an individual car operates, but it does provide the raw data engineers need to drive progress toward a future in which self-driving cars are the norm. (Related: Our Autonomous Future & The Insane Value of Tesla’s Data — Something Almost No One Mentions)

Now, members of the Tesla Motors Club forum indicate that the latest updates to the Autopilot software have expanded the amount of data being collected. After one Model S owner gained access to the data stream being downloaded from his car, Tesla released a statement saying it has begun capturing short video clips from cameras on Model S and Model X vehicles. “We are working hard to improve autonomous safety features and make self-driving a reality for you as soon as possible,” the company now says in its Data Sharing Policy.

https://cleantechnic...ata-collection/

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

House unanimously approves sweeping self-driving car measure

The U.S. House on Wednesday unanimously approved a sweeping proposal to speed the deployment of self-driving cars without human controls and bar states from blocking autonomous vehicles

The U.S. House on Wednesday unanimously approved a sweeping proposal to speed the deployment of self-driving cars without human controls and bar states from blocking autonomous vehicles.

The bill now goes to the Senate and would allow automakers to obtain exemptions to deploy up to 25,000 vehicles without meeting existing auto safety standards in the first year, a cap that would rise to 100,000 vehicles annually over three years.

Automakers and technology companies, including General Motors Co and Alphabet Inc‘s self-driving unit Waymo, have been pushing for new federal rules making it easier to deploy self-driving technology.

• Casey and Alislaws like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Lyft Is Launching a Fleet of Self-Driving Cars in San Francisco

"Select customers in the San Francisco Bay Area will be offered free rides in autonomous cars"

IF UBER'S SCANDALS, lawsuits, and federal investigations haven’t already driven you into the backseat of its competition just yet, maybe this will: Lyft is launching a fleet of self-driving cars and select customers in the San Francisco Bay Area will be offered free rides in autonomous cars developed and operated by self-driving outfit Drive.ai. (With a human at the wheel for backup, per California law. And common sense.)
Lyft and Drive.ai haven’t revealed certain key details about the pilot program—like when it will start (“soon”), how long it will run, how riders will be selected, or how the time of day, weather, and location will determine when to deploy the AV—but the new service provides an opportunity for Lyft to explore how it could fold this new way of moving into its existing service, and secure its place in the future of transportation. “We really want to understand, what are all the pieces that need to come into place?” says Taggart Matthiesen, Lyft’s product chief.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Here’s how Alphabet’s self-driving cars learn to navigate a tricky intersection

In Chandler, Ariz., where Alphabet is testing its autonomous cars, its software came across something it had never encountered before. It was a flashing yellow left-turn signal.

When the signal is flashing, drivers — both humans and robot — are expected to maneuver their way through oncoming traffic. It’s a difficult move for humans, much less a computer that has never come across a traffic light like this.

The safety driver behind the wheel of the self-driving car took over and its researchers took the event and translated it into a virtual simulation where the company could teach the software how to handle the situation.

This is a crucial part of getting fully self-driving cars on the road. Since it’s nearly impossible for Alphabet’s cars to encounter every driving experience, testing virtual and challenging situations is integral to being able to ensure these cars can safely drive themselves at all times.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

U.S. Air Force is buying a Tesla Model X to study its ‘fully self-driving’ capability

As the only option when it comes to all-electric SUVs, Tesla’s Model x is slowly growing in popularity.
Now apparently, even the U.S. Air Force wants one, but they are especially interested in its autonomous driving capability rather than the fact that it is electric.
Interestingly, they are requesting specifically for the vehicle to be a ‘Tesla Model X’, but not just any Model X.
They are also requesting that the vehicle features several options including Tesla’s ‘Fully Self-Driving Capability’, the towing package, and preferrably with Dark Blue, Silver, or Black paint job – though the solicitation for the acquisition says that any color is “acceptable.”
We reached out to the U.S. Air Force’s press desk for a comment on the purchase.
Apparently, they plan to use the vehicle at the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The Department of Behavioral Science and Leadership, Trust, Automation and Human Machine Teaming Center will study the “interaction of human behaviors in relation to the operation

• eacao and Casey like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,145 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Fully driverless cars could be months away

Real driverless cars could come to the Phoenix area this year, according to a Monday report from The Information's Amir Efrati. Two anonymous sources have told Efrati that Google's self-driving car unit, Waymo, is preparing to launch "a commercial ride-sharing service powered by self-driving vehicles with no human 'safety' drivers as soon as this fall."

Obviously, there's no guarantee that Waymo will hit this ambitious target. But it's a sign that Waymo believes its technology is very close to being ready for commercial use. And it suggests that Waymo is likely to introduce a fully driverless car network in 2018 if it doesn't do so in the remaining months of 2017.

I dunno, I feel this is just too soon. I'm all for futuristic sci-tech, but I just feel that we need better AI for this to really work.

• Casey likes this

Ghostreaper

Ghostreaper

Hopelessly optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

Real driverless cars could come to the Phoenix area this year, according to a Monday report from The Information's Amir Efrati. Two anonymous sources have told Efrati that Google's self-driving car unit, Waymo, is preparing to launch "a commercial ride-sharing service powered by self-driving vehicles with no human 'safety' drivers as soon as this fall."

Obviously, there's no guarantee that Waymo will hit this ambitious target. But it's a sign that Waymo believes its technology is very close to being ready for commercial use. And it suggests that Waymo is likely to introduce a fully driverless car network in 2018 if it doesn't do so in the remaining months of 2017.

I dunno, I feel this is just too soon. I'm all for futuristic sci-tech, but I just feel that we need better AI for this to really work.

At the basic level, how do autonomous cars work right now? Do the sensors and cameras feed information to a computer on board the vehicle or is all the information sent to a distant data crunching server and instructions sent back to the car?

“If the genius of invention were to reveal to-morrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought.” 

Nikola Tesla - New York World, May 19th 1907 

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

At the basic level, how do autonomous cars work right now? Do the sensors and cameras feed information to a computer on board the vehicle or is all the information sent to a distant data crunching server and instructions sent back to the car?

Most processing is done onboard but there is communication with the company's server from which the algorithms can learn or be tweaked from the accrued experience. Or at least that is my guess from what i've read. 

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tesla, autonomous vehicles, self-driving cars, passenger drones, AVs, Google, Uber, Autopilot, driverless car, self-driving truck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users