Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Autonomous Vehicles News and Discussions

Tesla autonomous vehicles self-driving cars passenger drones AVs Google Uber Autopilot driverless car self-driving truck

• Please log in to reply
391 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

. Car driving will have it's place as a sport I think. I don't see car races disappear.

I think people will still enjoy driving in the future. it gives a sense of control and this kind of sense is very pleasurable for humans psychologically speaking.  Many people will still drive in the future even when we will have self-driving cars.

In other words" You don't see too many people using horses for travel now, but does that mean no one's mounted a horse in a hundred years?

Manually driven cars will move towards being the domain sports lovers and enthusiasts. Racecar driving will still be a thing a hundred years from now, just as horse racing is. Hell, when the vast majority of people don't know how to drive a car, racecar drivers would actually have compound fame, not just as extreme sports stars but as drivers.

• Casey likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Well then, I better keep honing my precious driving skills. Who knows if I become an extremely valuable commodity. :)

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
http://techcrunch.co...eel-and-pedals/

Brin said the company decided to develop this prototype vehicle because it could do a better job than with one of its retrofitted vehicles.

The big reason it could be better was safety — placement becomes more optimal with where it could put lasers. Steering was also better, with redundant power steering, and it had redundant braking as well.

The cars, for now, only drive about 25 miles an hour, which also increases safety. It also adds about two feet of foam on the front, and instead of glass uses plastic. The company plans to build about 100-200 prototypes.

The car companies were moving much too slow for Google's liking. I really think this was a good move.

The downside?

Posted Image
Is the target audience 4 year olds? In the immortal words of the Angry Video Game Nerd, it looks like a pile of infected hippo shit ejaculated out of a reject donkey's annihilated anus.
I'm not riding around in that. Make it either a futuristic orb or a typical car.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

I don't know about not having a steering wheel; what if you need to take over for whatever reason? 

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Ghostreaper

Ghostreaper

Hopelessly optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

Jeez where did they get their designers?

On the plus side, since you don't have to do anything you can hide down behind the doors or in the foot wells so no one sees you in it :p

found another pic.... seriously.... they should just stick to the software side....

Posted Image

“If the genius of invention were to reveal to-morrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought.” 

Nikola Tesla - New York World, May 19th 1907 

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Guys, this is just a prototype. I'm pretty sure Google will quickly change the design after receiving feedback by critics and masses alike.

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

If they get rid of the sensors on top and change up the color pallet it could pass off as any generic smart car. That being said atm these things have a pretty limited use, maybe at large airports to help people find their cars?

Bradley

Bradley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

It has a max speed of 25 mph and is designed for public transportation. My wild ass guess is that they will test deploy them in a Del Web retirement community near the bay area. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
http://techcrunch.co...iverless-ubers/ According to a source, Uber will be a part of Google’s self-driving car pilot program at some point in the far future. Hints at the company’s involvement follow Google co-founder Sergey Brin’s unveiling of the self-driving prototype at the conference yesterday. Uber might enable those cars, which lack a steering wheel and pedals to actually drive, to be hailed through its mobile app when there are enough prototypes on the road and the cars are deemed road-safe. Right now the self-driving vehicle is in a limited test in the Mountain View area. While our source says that it might be ages before anything comes to market at scale, it just makes sense that Google and Uber are further cozying up to one another. Last summer, Google’s venture firm invested $258 million into Uber as part of a huge round of funding. More recently, Google added the ability to hail an Uber from its Google Maps app. And today, it announced an Android-powered new driver program.

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Maybe it needs to be super light for everything to work correctly right now, and as they perfect the software they'll be able to use bigger and heavier cars.  If Uber is going to come pick me up in one, I'd like it to be at least as big as a Toyota Camry, and preferably they would offer 7-passenger SUV's for groups of people who want to party and drink (which is what Uber is for right now) and not drive home.

The only thing we ever want is more

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

its like they come up with a goofy bubbly design every time, like it supposed to be advanced. make it look normal, like this at least

Posted Image

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

rather than that make a car that can move forward/reverse and side to side without having to turn.

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Now this is what I've been talking about!!!  There is no reason with our current technology that we shouldn't have limited self driving cars today.  The only problem I have with Cruise is that they're mapping everything themselves, which is totally unnecessary.  There are plenty of other companies that have already done that.  Maybe Google wouldn't licence Google Maps to them since they're kind of competition for them, but what about Garmin or TomTom?  They couldn't form a partnership with them (or buy them outright) to license their maps?

Cruise RP-1 can convert your ride into a self-driving car. Hello, Google

Google self-driving cars are still in the testing phase but start-up Cruise Automation can convert your car into a self-driving car.

Cruise's self-driving kit is called the RP-1, which has a price tag of $10,000. Kyle Vogt, co-founder and CEO of the company, says that the kit is a "highway autopilot." Once the RP-1 is installed in a car, drivers can go to a highway and to the lane they want the car to be in. With just a push of a button, the system takes control of the vehicle. Drivers have the option to take the control back with a push on the gas pedal or by just taking control of the car's steering wheel.

Vogt says that the RP-1 autopilot feature cannot work on any highway and is not a replacement for a driver. Roads where the RP-1 is to be used should be mapped first before the kit can run. The company says that it is planning to map freeways and share the data between the vehicles, which will allow it to create a large road data. Unlike, some self-driving cars in testing such as Google's, the Cruise RP-1 system is not meant to take a car from one location to another.

The Cruise RP-1 is made up of a number of components. The kit includes custom-designed sensors that are fixed to the top of a car; actuators for the steering wheel, brakes, and accelerator; and a computer system in the trunk of the car that processes all data. Users will find a button installed in the dashboard, which will allow drivers to switch between autopilot and human driving modes.

"In the trunk of your car you will find the Computer - the brain of the RP-1. Taking up less than two feet of space and mounted off to the side, the Computer calculates exactly what it needs to do to keep you and your loved ones safe using state-of-the-art computer vision algorithms," per Cruise.

Currently, the Cruise RP-1 can be installed only on two Audi models, a 2012 or newer Audi A4 or Audi S4. The company plans to offer the kit for other cars made by other automakers as well. The system can currently be used only in the state of California.

Customers have the option to reserve their RP-1, which will be initially limited to 50 units only. The company hopes to start shipment of the kit in 2015.

Self-driving cars are still in infancy but with the launch of Cruise RP-1, customers will be able to get a glimpse of what more could be on offer in the future.

The only thing we ever want is more

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,244 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

I suppose that with the rise of self-driving cars, the minimnum driving age could be abolished.

Also, car trips would be a lot less honerous going at 200+ mph instead of 65 mph (because self-driving cars will be good enough to maintain such speeds without crashing).

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

The cars will never have to stop at once on the long commute between work and your residence. :)

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,244 posts

Well, I was mainly talking about long-distance trips.

Spoiler

Bradley

Bradley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

I think I'd rather take a 50MPH autonomous car to the airport and then have a 500MPH autonomous airplane take me where I wanted to go. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I wonder how many will trust to have a self driving car.

When it's publicly available it will be better than every human driver...

Oh please, I thought for sure that you knew by now that facts will never get in front of the TRUTH, which is that autonomous cars are responsible for millions of deaths the world over that the liberal scientists and automakers don't want you to know and are secretly monitoring you and your habits for the Illuminati to control you and are proof that poor people are too lazy and must suck up and get to work.

DRIVING IS MURIKAN. Don't let the libtards and Obamunists take our right to drive wherever the fuck we want away from us! 

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,244 posts

I wonder how many will trust to have a self driving car.

When it's publicly available it will be better than every human driver...

Oh please, I thought for sure that you knew by now that facts will never get in front of the TRUTH, which is that autonomous cars are responsible for millions of deaths the world over that the liberal scientists and automakers don't want you to know and are secretly monitoring you and your habits for the Illuminati to control you and are proof that poor people are too lazy and must suck up and get to work.

DRIVING IS MURIKAN. Don't let the libtards and Obamunists take our right to drive wherever the fuck we want away from us! 

Lol. I wouldn't be surprised to see that in Conservapedia.

Oh, I forgot to mention: don't forget the evil lizardmen profiting from this evil scheme. :p

Edited by Jakob, 26 June 2014 - 10:16 PM.

Spoiler

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

http://www.theverge....ent-of-the-time

In an excerpt from a CNNMoney interview, Tesla boss Elon Musk says that the self-driving car — or "autopilot," the term he prefers — is basically just months away from retail. Here's the language:

Go Elon!

• wjfox, Zaphod, Casey and 2 others like this

What difference does it make?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tesla, autonomous vehicles, self-driving cars, passenger drones, AVs, Google, Uber, Autopilot, driverless car, self-driving truck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users