Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Autonomous Vehicles News and Discussions

Tesla autonomous vehicles self-driving cars passenger drones AVs Google Uber Autopilot driverless car self-driving truck

• Please log in to reply
391 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,228 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

Google can also decide what is The Truth and what is not.

https://en.wikipedia..._deciding_truth

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

It also made me wonder if this is the reason Google is pioneering self-driving technology - more web time, more revenue.

Oh wait a minute... all the other wonderful things Google is doing for us... no it can't be... all just for more ad revenue!

Google is more evil than we suspect!

Or maybe we're more evil than we think we are.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
BlhOBtX.jpg
  • hiraeth and sorcerer like this

FuturistUndertaking

FuturistUndertaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGermany

That quote by Nino Karotta doesn't make sense to me. 

I expect humanity as we know it to outlast the widespread use of AVs by no more than three decades. I'd bet that by 2065 we'll either have more in common with our AVs than with current humans, or we will be extinct altogether.

What does he base this on? What exactly does he even mean by "more in common with AVs"?

If you're bored, check out my blog on social, economic and environmental change http://futuristunder....wordpress.com/

I'm still figuring out what I want to write about, so any suggestions, problems and interesting issues in general are very much appreciated.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
"Humanity as we know it" + "More in common with AVs than current humans" = Transhumanism

Out of context, it sounds pessimistic.

FuturistUndertaking

FuturistUndertaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGermany

Alright. Am I alone in thinking that this form of transhumanism (by 2065), as he lays it out, is completely overexaggerated?

If you're bored, check out my blog on social, economic and environmental change http://futuristunder....wordpress.com/

I'm still figuring out what I want to write about, so any suggestions, problems and interesting issues in general are very much appreciated.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
And Kurzweil's (ever expanding nanite intelligence) isn't? It's the extinction line that throws me off.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
And here's an infographic!

http://www.driverles...ture.com/?p=750

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

RobSkelton

RobSkelton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Drove past a speed limit sign today, and the top screw was missing so the sign and fallen and hung from the bottom screw only. Instead of saying 80 it said 08. 

Now, what would a self-driving make of that? Would it obey the mapping system it was using (80 kph) or the sign it observes (08 kph)? 

Not a big problem (everyone else can overtake it), but an example of what I presume is a massive number of scenarios that these cars might struggle with, and aren't common enough to program for. 

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,228 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

Drove past a speed limit sign today, and the top screw was missing so the sign and fallen and hung from the bottom screw only. Instead of saying 80 it said 08. 

Now, what would a self-driving make of that? Would it obey the mapping system it was using (80 kph) or the sign it observes (08 kph)? 

Not a big problem (everyone else can overtake it), but an example of what I presume is a massive number of scenarios that these cars might struggle with, and aren't common enough to program for. 

I would think that it would use the mapping system, not what it saw on the road. Signs can, after all, be messed with. Then again, signs might not even be present. Have a look at this (one of my first posts on the forum!)

Also, welcome.

Edited by Jakob, 15 May 2015 - 12:37 PM.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Ghostreaper

Ghostreaper

Hopelessly optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

It would likely have all the signs registered in its software, so it would see the sign compare it against it's database of signs and match it to one it knows, if it sees a sign of 08 it would not be able to match that against any data it has and would probably then ignore it.

“If the genius of invention were to reveal to-morrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought.” 

Nikola Tesla - New York World, May 19th 1907 

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Question: what will you guys do if you feel the car is moving too slowly for your taste because it HAS to follow the speed limit and you're already late for work?

IMO, there is nothing we can do about it. It is our responsibility to leave our residences at the time we know would allow the autonomous car to arrive at the workplace on time while following the speed limit signs along the way.

I'm pretty sure the controls in the car will calculate for you how much time it will take to get from point A to point B under various start and end times. Heck, we'll probably have apps custom-made for interfacing with all aspects of your car, including navigation metrics. Tesla is already doing this.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Ghostreaper

Ghostreaper

Hopelessly optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

Aside from the problems associated with the internet of things (fears of hacking etc) future cars may be part of it, so would be cool for it to be linked with your alarm clock in the morning and tell you as soon as you get up what time you need to leave the house in order to get to work on time for that specific day.

• Raklian likes this

“If the genius of invention were to reveal to-morrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought.” 

Nikola Tesla - New York World, May 19th 1907 

sorcerer

sorcerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationFrance

I guarantee that someone would hack into the system and program it to exceed the speed limit, cut up all the BMW's it sees, and otherwise severely irritate all the other smart cars. Maybe they'd retaliate.....

Suppose the cars became so smart they'd change their programming? Maybe they'd go on strike or start hooting at each other, doing doughnuts in the middle of the M25, and otherwise misbehaving.

You wouldn't need suicide bombers anymore, by the way....

I'm still in favour of them, though, since I live in France. :biggrin:

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Aside from the problems associated with the internet of things (fears of hacking etc) future cars may be part of it, so would be cool for it to be linked with your alarm clock in the morning and tell you as soon as you get up what time you need to leave the house in order to get to work on time for that specific day.

Also part of the Internet of Things should be an autonomous electrocuter to "assist" with waking up. Of course, this shocking contraption and the car will collaborate in the best interest of the sleeping guy.  :)

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

So as far as I know, there were up to this point no commercially available self-driving cars.  I know that Volvo is testing some in Europe, Google is testing some in the Silicon Valley, and no doubt other car companies are testing their own versions.  However, today every Tesla owner received this email:

Sent: Friday, October 16, 2015 12:11 AM
Subject: Your Autopilot has arrived

Starting today, every Model S comes equipped with Tesla Version 7 software and Autopilot capabilities. Model S is designed to keep getting better over time. Our latest software update allows Model S to use its unique combination of cameras, radar, ultrasonic sensors, and data to steer down the highway, change lanes, and adjust speed in response to traffic. Once you’ve arrived at your destination, Model S scans for a parking space and parallel parks on your command.

150513_NA_Santa_Barbara_Grand_Opening_gr

Model S

Model X

Supercharger

Powerwall

151014_software_7-0_update_hero.jpg

Starting today, every Model S comes equipped with Tesla Version 7 software and Autopilot capabilities. Model S is designed to keep getting better over time. Our latest software update allows Model S to use its unique combination of cameras, radar, ultrasonic sensors, and data to steer down the highway, change lanes, and adjust speed in response to traffic. Once you’ve arrived at your destination, Model S scans for a parking space and parallel parks on your command.

Model S can’t make traffic disappear, but Version 7 software makes it a lot easier, safer, and more pleasant to endure.

To experience Model S for yourself, book a test drive at your nearest store.

TEST DRIVE

FIND OUT MORE

VALUE MY TRADE

150319_Software_v62_Update__ftr_wordmark

Tesla Motors | 3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304

Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe

So as of today, everyone who owns a Tesla Model S now has their self-driving feature, called Autopilot.  It is NOT a fully autonomous car that can drive itself without someone in the driver's seat, but it can drive itself in limited situations.  So I believe this is it.  We now live in a world where anyone with the money can buy a car that can drive itself.  Primarily this going to be like cruise control.  It's not good for city driving, but it can handle highway driving just fine, and it can change lanes.  You do still have to sit in the driver's seat, and the car makes you touch the steering wheel every so often just to make sure you're paying attention.  Still, I'm super excited that the technology is here!  Now I just want to know how much longer until my car can drive itself to work with me taking a nap in the back seat!

• wjfox, Casey, Yuli Ban and 2 others like this

The only thing we ever want is more

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

Let's wait a month or so to see how this pans out huh....

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
Of course we're gonna wait a bit to make sure it works as advertised, but goddammit, my prediction still came true.

A semi-autonomous car is released to the market

• wjfox likes this

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Hard to believe it's only 2015.

• wjfox, Yuli Ban and nomad like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tesla, autonomous vehicles, self-driving cars, passenger drones, AVs, Google, Uber, Autopilot, driverless car, self-driving truck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users