Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Nuclear Fusion News and Discussions

fusion nuclear fusion energy physics material science fusion power nuclear power ITER cold fusion tokamak

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon

LOCKHEED: We Made A Huge Breakthrough In Nuclear Fusion

Andrea Shalal, Reuters
Oct. 15, 2014, 9:07 AM

Lockheed Martin Corp said on Wednesday it had made a technological breakthrough in developing a power source based on nuclear fusion, and the first reactors, small enough to fit on the back of a truck, could be ready for use in a decade.

[...]

Initial work demonstrated the feasibility of building a 100-megawatt reactor measuring seven feet by 10 feet, which could fit on the back of a large truck, and is about 10 times smaller than current reactors, McGuire told reporters.

In a statement, the company, the Pentagon's largest supplier, said it would build and test a compact fusion reactor in less than a year, and build a prototype in five years.

Read more: http://www.businessi...through-2014-10

• mic of orion, Raklian, eacao and 2 others like this

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I sincerely hope they know what they are talking about.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
Lockheed is one of the largest government suppliers of military hardware and would likely jeopardize their relationship with the military if they were blowing smoke up their buttholes, so they better

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Lockheed is one of the largest government suppliers of military hardware and would likely jeopardize their relationship with the military if they were blowing smoke up their buttholes, so they better

Part of it is because the Navy is itching for a very robust, clean energy source for their warships equipped with rail guns.

star0

star0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

I posted this in the energy news thread earlier.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Lol fckin lockheed martin...

My friend worked there for a while. Actually got a low level security clearance. He didn't really like it though.

I hope this is legit though. I havwen't heard much news about it besides this post.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

JCO

JCO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

First this is Lockheed Martin. If they are saying they will have a working reactor in 1 year and prototype for power generation in 5 it is usually a good bet.

It is also not all that new. Last year the reported that they would have a reactor working within 5 years. http://www.e-catworl...totype-by-2017/

Also the head of the program, Thomas John McGuire, has been working in the field a while. In '77 he did his thesis on fusion: http://dspace.mit.ed...le/1721.1/38527

More recently in '08 he published a paper on just this type of reactor: http://arc.aiaa.org/...514/6.2008-4675

Remember also the reason for this announcement is to get partners and investors and LM is not planning on using kickstarter, they want to attract the like of GE, MIT and the US government.

Confirmed Agnostic - I know that I don't know for sure and I am almost certain no one else does either.

Ghostreaper

Ghostreaper

Hopelessly optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

If only they were self contained units that you could just take anywhere on a truck and plug into the grid...

“If the genius of invention were to reveal to-morrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought.” 

Nikola Tesla - New York World, May 19th 1907 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
That's probably what they are.
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I sincerely hope they know what they are talking about.

Lockheed Martin.

skunkworks_projects.jpg

Lockheed Martin.

fbj9XAo.jpg

LOCKHEED MARTIN.

lockheed_martin_long_range_strike_1.jpg

LOCKHEED. MOTHER. FUCKING. MARTIN.

2014-12-10t23-53-12-066z--1280x720.nbcne

These motherfuckers are 30 years ahead of the rest of us anyway. If they didn't know what they were doing, do you know how royally fuck't we'd be right now?

Whereas

Whereas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Great news. Ahead of timeline schedule by about a decade, and may mean widespread adoption a lot sooner as well.

If you're wrong, how would you know it?

Bradley

Bradley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

My guess is that LM is full of crap and performing a dog and pony show to acquire financing for a 'moon shot' project. If they really had a breakthrough they wouldn't need to publicize it to acquire financing partners. This totally smells like risk offsetting for a project in which they have 51% confidence. 

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

Risk offsetting is not something you do at that level without at least 99% confidence.... If this turns out to be bogus it could do a lot of damage to the company.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

This is fusion we're talking about.

There are already hundreds of hundreds of the world's greatest minds working on solving this at ITER, and yet they're 20 years away from going beyond break-even.

So, I hope they know what they're talking about.

Whereas

Whereas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

There are already hundreds of hundreds of the world's greatest minds working on solving this at ITER, and yet they're 20 years away from going beyond break-even.

It's a matter of approach with these things. It's not that the people at ITER aren't bright, it's just that they've been pushing through with a different approach. Find a novel approach and you may be able to solve a problem that has baffled bright minds for the longest time.

If you're wrong, how would you know it?

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I hope you're right.

JCO

JCO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

If only they were self contained units that you could just take anywhere on a truck and plug into the grid...

That's probably what they are.

If you go back to the original post you can see that the reactor 'core' is what is small enough to move on a pickup truck. That is just the 'combustion chamber'. It will most likely work by heating water so you will need a chamber will be heated to steam and then a generator to convert the steam to electricity. Also this is a multi-grid inertial electrostatic confinement fusion device which means you need all the power feeds and control equipment. You may also need a preheating step to convert the fuel to plasma before injecting it into the chamber. Cryo tanks for the fuel. Not to mention the need for radiation shielding. You will not be fitting it on even a Mac truck. It should fit nicely into your average missile cruiser though.

• Ghostreaper likes this

Confirmed Agnostic - I know that I don't know for sure and I am almost certain no one else does either.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Still, that's far smaller than a million-Earth wide star. Thus, useful for humans.

JCO

JCO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

I was just trying to bring a little perspective to the description provided for the reactor. I am afraid my naval knowledge is a bit murky. Reviewing wikipedia for better reference I think I meant to suggest that it would fit nicely in your average destroyer. Infact you could likely fit more than one. I read the specs on one destroyer that I think it said had 4 gas turbine engines that generated a total of 70 MW. Two like the reactor LM is looking to develop would have almost 3 time the power output. Can anybody say helicarrier? 

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

I'll believe it when they show it to us working on the news working!

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fusion, nuclear fusion, energy, physics, material science, fusion power, nuclear power, ITER, cold fusion, tokamak

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users