Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

My revised future timeline of my future world

future technology timeline

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

This is my timeline of the future of the world. I just need 5 future ideas for each era. It can be an invention, scientific discovery, technology etc. Thanks

Era 1: Post-Information Age (circa 2020-2060)

--the immediate future

Era 2: Fusion Age (2060-2100)

--the advent of fusion power eliminates the need for fossil fuels and ushers in an age of unlimited energy

Era 3: Interplanetary Age (2100-2200)

--Humanity explores the solar system and establishes bases on the moon and Mars

Era 4 Interstellar Age (2200-2300)

--The invention of Faster than light travel allows humanity to explore the galaxy

Era 5: Age of Abundance (2300-2400)

--Humanity colonizes the galaxy

Era 6: Transcendent Era (2400+)

--Humanity uploads their minds into computers and live in their own immortal designer universes

• Erowind likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,766 posts

The big question is who will be leading it? Within my opinion; China, India and the east in general will do far more then the west.

The west is currently declining because of liberterian austerity.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,766 posts

This is my timeline of the future of the world. I just need 5 future ideas for each era. It can be an invention, scientific discovery, technology etc. Thanks

Era 1: Post-Information Age (circa 2020-2060)

--the immediate future

Era 2: Fusion Age (2060-2100)

--the advent of fusion power eliminates the need for fossil fuels and ushers in an age of unlimited energy

Era 3: Interplanetary Age (2100-2200)

--Humanity explores the solar system and establishes bases on the moon and Mars

Era 4 Interstellar Age (2200-2300)

--The invention of Faster than light travel allows humanity to explore the galaxy

Era 6: Transcendent Era (2400+)

--Humanity uploads their minds into computers and live in their own immortal designer universes

1. Information always be important.

2. I'll agree that fusion will be a thing by 2040-2060 time frame.

3. China, India and the east in general will lead humanity back to the moon and mars.

4. That is yet to be proven but I expect it is possible. One good innovation or discovery.

5. Even at faster then light speed I doubt we can take over the galaxy by 2400.

6. We will see...

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon

5. Even at faster then light speed I doubt we can take over the galaxy by 2400.

We might have started to colonise our galactic neighbourhood by then – perhaps outwards to several dozen light years – but to colonise the entire galaxy is a process that will likely take thousands of years, perhaps even a million or more. The energy requirements will be simply insane.

If you want a good idea of just how stupendously and ludicrously vast the galaxy is, I highly recommend playing Elite: Dangerous and checking out the galaxy map contained within the game. It has literally changed my perspective on life. Especially the core region – which has so many stars, it will make you laugh out loud.

400 billion stars... many with 10+ planets, and moons, plus all the asteroids and comets and other material they contain. Not to mention the numerous satellite dwarf galaxies and the extensive "halo" surrounding the outer rim of the Milky Way. Somehow, I doubt we're going to be utilising all of that by 2400. Let's not underestimate the profound difference between Type 2 and Type 3 on the Kardashev scale.

• Sciencerocks and Jakob like this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

I should post the structure of my own timeline/fictional universe. It seems disingenuous to suspect that humanity will be able to expand indefinitely without bumping up against the territory of equal or superior civilizations. The later parts of my timeline reflect that, and human expansion in several directions is cut off by the presence of civilizations thousands of years older, and eventually eclipsed by younger, faster-adapting aliens.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationArgentina

I can create images (of low quality) for the timeline with TPT.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I've been teasing my own future timeline for a long while, but I keep changing things that are further out into the future. Invariably, after the 2100s, just about every "future timeline" begins reading like a pulp sci-fi plotline, and I can't quite explain why.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

1991-2060. Information Age. Marked by the rise of the Web and the incursion of the internet into commerce, entertainment, and communication, eventually eclipsing their offline counterparts. Computers miniaturize and grow more powerful, going from clunky boxes to smart phones to contact lenses. The Internet of Things arises and every object becomes a smart object. Swarms of smart dust collect mind-boggling amounts of data and the number of internet-connected devices surges by six orders of magnitude. True, conscious AI proves harder than expected, though scientists gradually understand the requirements and begin to close in on an implementation. Reusable rockets and 3D printing allow humanity to establish the first economically viable colonies on the moon and Mars, as well as orbital space stations. American hegemony and globalism mark the beginning of the era but wane increasingly as time goes on due to outsourcing, technological unemployment, economic recession, and climate change. Protectionism, isolationism, and nationalism rise in their place. Mainstream media eventually ends up dead in the water; the news is supplied by countless "mad bloggers". The job market is thrown into chaos as robots take billions of jobs, necessitating radical reform of the education system. Militarily, terrorism and guerrilla fighters become more important adversaries than conventional armies, and nations change their doctrines to reflect that. Ground, sea, and air forces alike are mostly replaced with robots; most humans in advanced armies either remotely command robots and drones or are part of elite cyborg special forces. The looming specters of technological unemployment, climate change, resource depletion, and nuclear and biological terrorism hang over the heads of humanity. But colossal strides are being made to counteract these threats. Space-based solar, advanced fission reactors, nuclear fusion, wireless electricity, and smart grids lead to an energy revolution. Vertical farming, desalination, and asteroid mining are demonstrated on an industrial scale. Genetic engineering is extending lives, treating formerly untreatable diseases, and even allowing parents to create designer babies. Cybernetics and neural laces allow humans to gain back the ground lost to robots. Robotics and 3D printing boost companies' productivity to astonishing levels. Beyond this point, mankind will either leap to the stars or crash back to Earth.

2060-2170. Interplanetary Age/AI Genesis. Powerful new technologies such as StarTrams, space elevators, nuclear pulse propulsion, and nuclear Verne guns provide the capability to launch many thousands of tons to orbit in one shot. This allows space colonization to begin in earnest and opens up Earth orbit to the middle class. People flock into space by the millions, settling in destinations as diverse as the moon, Mars, the asteroid belt, and the Lagrangian Points. The moons of Jupiter and Saturn are colonized by powerful Orion drives, followed a few decades later by the moons of Uranus and Neptune. The gases mined here are just part of a small but steady stream of interplanetary trade. During this period, many colonies begin to develop a sense of national identity and rebel against their home countries. Some countries on Earth attempt to fight back, but this is largely a failure, as only the strongest countries have the ability to project military power into cislunar and interplanetary space. Yet on Earth, humanity survives its troubles and reaches Type 1 status. Asteroid mining and vertical farming provide metals and food in greater abundance than their earlier counterparts. Advanced geoengineering has halted but not reversed climate change; the world is a Hothouse Earth with viable habitation in Antarctica, Greenland, and northern Canada. Genetic engineering is powerful enough to not only revive extinct animals, but engineer entire ecosystems from scratch. Millions of humans have lived past 120; a number of the oldest are past 140. Contrary to the predictions of 21st century science fiction, Earth is not evolving towards a world government; some nations merge together, others break apart, while liberal democracy falls--though illiberal democracy is more common than totalitarian dictatorships. After 2100, the concept gradually disappears from mainstream science fiction. Indeed, decentralization was a key part of surviving the late 21st century. Vertical farms, desalination, and a raft of other technologies and new urban planning paradigms allowed cities to attain near-self sufficiency. Cheap, high-performance 3D printers decentralize manufacturing. Quantum blockchains ease the strain on failing national currencies. Meanwhile, some places take the concept further, establishing colossal arcologies and floating city-states. India and China replace the US and Europe as the "center of the world". Genetic engineering is creating several new subspecies for various purposes, as well as reviving old ones like Neanderthals. A number of great apes are uplifted to sapience. And most importantly, AI wakes up. The first conscious machines require building-sized quantum computers and large fusion plants to support, but within a few decades, they become efficient enough to walk among humans. By the 22nd century, millions of sapient droids of all shapes and sizes occupy countless roles. Superintelligent, meta-aware "high ais" arrive soon after, and also miniaturize to human size. The first posthumans are not far behind, aided by primitive cut-paste mind uploading--the success rate is dismal, but the benefits are colossal for those who survive the process.

• wjfox and Yuli Ban like this

Spoiler

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon

^ Great post, Jakob. I love your writing style. I'm thinking we should feature this as a guest blog?

• Jakob likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

2170-2250. Decolonization. This is a turbulent era for offworld civilization, much like the decolonization of Africa a quarter of a millennium prior. The series of skirmishes known as the Decolonization Wars on Earth and the Freedom Wars offworld show how even the mightiest Terran powers are unable to defeat even weak offworld enemies. About 90 percent of colonies are forfeited within fifty years; only a few countries retain any at all. Dozens of leaders, many of them transhuman or high ai dictators, arise to fill the vacuum of power. Interstellar Orion drives establish a settlement at Proxima b, while others are on the way to Alpha Centauri and Barnard's Star. In the tumult, people spread out across the Soar System, claiming the last uncharted areas. Human structures proliferate across the Solar System, from colossal solar arrays and entire cities on wheels on Mercury, to propellant caches on Pluto. Now the only frontier is interstellar space. Meanwhile, on Earth, opportunistic superintelligences begin to consolidate power in several backwater nations where there are few or no transhumans to keep them in check. New human subspecies and uplifted animals gain ground while the nascent high ais and posthumans continue to learn their abilities and limits. Arcologies take off in myriad forms, including skyscrapers, earthscrapers, artificial islands, and underwater cities. Nano-scale manufacturing becomes practical, though the energies required are considerable, making them largely useful for extreme precision manufacturing. Mind uploading via in-situ replacement is developed, greatly aided by high ai/posthuman tech like Fast Upload Platforms. And gradually, the Solar System begins to settle down.

• wjfox likes this

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

^ Great post, Jakob. I love your writing style. I'm thinking we should feature this as a guest blog?

Sure, why not.

• wjfox likes this

Spoiler

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon

2170-2250. Decolonization. This is a turbulent era for offworld civilization, much like the decolonization of Africa a quarter of a millennium prior. The series of skirmishes known as the Decolonization Wars on Earth and the Freedom Wars offworld show how even the mightiest Terran powers are unable to defeat even weak offworld enemies. About 90 percent of colonies are forfeited within fifty years; only a few countries retain any at all. Dozens of leaders, many of them transhuman or high ai dictators, arise to fill the vacuum of power. Interstellar Orion drives establish a settlement at Proxima b, while others are on the way to Alpha Centauri and Barnard's Star. In the tumult, people spread out across the Soar System, claiming the last uncharted areas. Human structures proliferate across the Solar System, from colossal solar arrays and entire cities on wheels on Mercury, to propellant caches on Pluto. Now the only frontier is interstellar space. Meanwhile, on Earth, opportunistic superintelligences begin to consolidate power in several backwater nations where there are few or no transhumans to keep them in check. New human subspecies and uplifted animals gain ground while the nascent high ais and posthumans continue to learn their abilities and limits. Arcologies take off in myriad forms, including skyscrapers, earthscrapers, artificial islands, and underwater cities. Nano-scale manufacturing becomes practical, though the energies required are considerable, making them largely useful for extreme precision manufacturing. Mind uploading via in-situ replacement is developed, greatly aided by high ai/posthuman tech like Fast Upload Platforms. And gradually, the Solar System begins to settle down.

Excellent again. But I'm rather confused by the part highlighted in red. Surely this will be achieved much sooner? Perhaps you could clarify/explain a little more?

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

Excellent again. But I'm rather confused by the part highlighted in red. Surely this will be achieved much sooner? Perhaps you could clarify/explain a little more?

Well, there's the fat finger and sticky finger problems to contend with, and they sound...hard. (But not impossible, hence my inclusion of nanofactories.) Like, Star Trek and its ilk seem to imagine that molecular assembly is just like building stuff out of tiny legos. But it's more like, you're trying to build something out of legos that are constantly flying around and randomly sticking to each other, with hands made of legos that are also flying around and sticking to the stuff you're trying to build with.

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

2250-2349. Cornucopian Era. Outward expansion continues. A substantial chunk of the local interstellar neighborhood, ranging from Luhman 16, with its tiny research station of 300 people, to Proxima Centauri b, with millions of people and several independent polities, stabilizing after violent early years. Faint traces of ancient alien colonies begin turning up all over human space, puzzling archaeologists everywhere. Between the constant outflux from Earth and the proliferation of new human subspecies and ai mindsets, humanity is becoming ever more diverse. In the 2260s, the Grand Purge occurs, causing a subspecies known as Starmen to be banished to the Kuiper Belt for starting a campaign of genetic supremacy. The Decolonization-era violence largely settles down after the Grand Purge, leading to an era of unprecedented peace. The semi-private Solar System Trade Coalition and the Interplanetary Council (a weaker, narrower in scope, interplanetary version of the UN) are established in the 2270s and become the key interplanetary institutions of the era. Nanofactories become mature and efficient, while also reaching industrial scale and also developing into self-replicating Von Neumann machines. Luxurious interplanetary Aldrin Cyclers run between the planets, while deep-space habitats from Stanford Toruses to O'Neill Cylinders proliferate. The Sol System is open to all, and for the first time more than a billion reside offworld. This is an era of artistry, where practicality and utility are thrown to the winds for the sake of beauty and form. It is a time of peace and of plenty, and an explosion of trade and culture. Art, architecture, and society as a whole become grander and more maximalist. But it is not a flawless time. 20th century democracy is kept alive only in the Lunar and Martian states and a handful of Terran polities. Ailigarchs consolidate power, perpetuating their imbalance of power in the absence of mid-ranking transhumans and droids. Starmen and other disaffected races stir up trouble at the fringes of the Sol System, and the threat of asteroid bombardment from rogue actors still remains. Yet it is the beginning of the greatest era for humanity for the next one and a half thousand years.

Daedalus3.jpg

A colony ship.

Cylinder_Interior_AC75-1086_5732.jpg

Luxury O'Neill Cylinder HS Eden (National Space Society)

442794.jpg

A typical Terran girl taking a day off from her studies. At left: High ai datacenters for their mysterious projects. (source)

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

2349-2462. Century of Diamonds and Dreams and Water. (Late Cornucopian). The beginning of this era is marked with the discovery of "antimatter mines"--actually condensed quark matter--in the cores of fast-rotating asteroids by Marshall W. James, who was employed to build space habitats for posthuman property developer June Troths. This triggers a colossal antimatter rush in the asteroid belt. Millions of people from all walks of life head to the asteroid belt to find a million-ton lode of AM--some coming from as far away as the Oort Cloud--but most fail and end up loafing around or becoming subjects of one of the rapidly proliferating ceodoms. Solar collection companies in the vicinity of Mercury are forced to radically up their game in the presence of this competition. By the 2350s, first-generation pure antimatter rockets, capable of reaching 0.4c, are heading to the stars. Colonization gradually spreads out to several dozen colonies within ~25 light years. Closer to home, the antimatter mines are proving to be the biggest game-changer to the energy industry since fusion. The over-the-top grandeur of life on Earth continues to increase. It is a time of artificial mountains and mile-high fountains and monuments, a time of "impossible buildings" kept stable by new gravitational engineering technology and of floating analemma towers. The moons of Jupiter are given atmospheres and terraformed, while similar efforts are at last underway among the stars. There is a sort of dreamy feel to the whole era--in civilized polities, life is eutopic for the average citizen. Yet behind the scenes, the ingredients for the most radical societal change in centuries are falling into place. Influenced by an increasing use of memetics and advanced surveillance, the Unfettering movement arises from Lunar and Martian philosophers, calling for a return to Enlightenment values and 20th century democracy. High ai and posthuman researchers begin making progress in copy-paste uploading, further confusing the question of identity, though high-quality copies--"golems"--must be painstakingly created one at a time. A network of communication-grade wormholes begins to spread across the Sol System and the inner colonies, leading to a period of cultural merging. Extremely powerful asteroid godminds are built. Meanwhile, public support of the ailigarchies and other hard-authoritarian regimes are decreasing, finally leading to revolution in the West Antarctic Technate in 2462.

SWcPxrF.jpg

Artificial mountain in the Netherlands

bd58fc2f11c16c8e501403c1ac6e333f.jpg

Just another day in an ailigarchy

160816_PU_hot-air-balloon-wide-view_coll

Analemma tower over the Nuamfed (USA successor state)

Gliese_667_Cc_sunset.jpg

Morning on Gliese 667 Cc, one of the first true garden worlds colonized by humanity

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

I've been teasing my own future timeline for a long while, but I keep changing things that are further out into the future. Invariably, after the 2100s, just about every "future timeline" begins reading like a pulp sci-fi plotline, and I can't quite explain why.

Is mine reading like a pulp-scifi plotline?

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

2462-2537. The Unfettering. This era is a time of numerous radical changes that bring an end to the relative peace and stability of the past two centuries. Numerous events are leading to an overhaul of the old order. A collapse of the antimatter mining industry in the 2450s leads to a colossal economic collapse, shattering the prosperity of the Century of Diamonds and Dreams and making the populace more susceptible to radical Unfettering ideas. The revolution in the West Antarctic Technate becomes the 11 Years' War and with the backing of foreign transhumans and high ais, the human revolutionaries defeat the ailigarchs. More revolutions spread like wildfire across the Sol System in the 2470s and 80s; many are successful and others lead to some degree of reform. Nevertheless, some ailigarchies and ceodoms—corporate monarchies in the asteroid belt—will adapt and continue to persist for another century.

It is not just the ailigarchies—billions of people in dozens of polities call for a return to 20th century democracy, Enlightenment values, and egalitarianism, with an emphasis on the rights of near-baselines and low-grade transhumans and ais. Other factors are at play too—there is a broad cultural backlash against the decadence and over-the-top grandeur of art, architecture, and daily life, begetting explicitly minimalist styles. This is partly in response to the economic collapse, and partly in response to the Unfettering idea that such maximalist culture is akin to bread and circuses.

Technology marches on, as ever, largely unimpeded by politics, and led by transhumans, posthumans, and high ais. Microscopic black holes are harnessed as power plants, Hawking drives, and fearsome Hawking bombs. Interstellar colonists now number in the billions and have produced their own great civilizations fully independent of the Sol System. Humanity has spread to hundreds of star systems, with dense colonization out to 20 light years, scattered outposts to a bit over 50, and autonomous probes, 150 and counting. In the interstellar colonies, the turmoil of the Unfettering generally comes later or not at all; for instance, there are some mass protests and minor terrorist attacks by populist and libertarian factions on Proxima b, there is no credible attempt to topple the academic elites that control most of the planet's nations. Technological progress is more rapid now than in the Cornucopian, but it comes with a sense of grim paranoia and insecurity. Though it is difficult for near-baselines to fully comprehend most of the actions of high ais and posthumans, they appear to be going through their own internal strife and heading towards their own singularity, attempting to create new paradigms of thought within diamond asteroid computers.

The Unfettering is many things for many sophonts. It is a wake-up call, an opportunity for revolution, a catastrophic collapse, a time of new opportunities, a death knell, and much more.

6838aad42cb3a5da84ed691b93edc07f--archit

Above: 2475. A nearbaseline homo sapiens senator poses outside the newly constructed Revolutionary Parliament Building. The building is a typical early example of the Unfettering-influenced "explicit minimalism" style.

robot-turtle-soldier.jpg

Above: 2489. Ailigarch loyalist forces patrol an area recently cleared of revolutionaries in the Kazakh Aicratic Republic. Sophont soldiers--even heavily augmented transhumans and cyborgs--are rarely present in combat zones in this era, but this particular mission is a rare exception.

black-hole-starship.jpg

Above: 2517. A starship equipped with a first-generation Hawking Drive leaves for Alpha Centauri. The black holes that powers it is far too small to be visible

7210439.jpg

Above: 2530. Terraformed Ganymede. The moon is almost completely devoid of land; most people live on floating cities.

Sources: https://www.pinteres...t-architecture/ https://www.walldevil.com nextbigfuture.com http://old.spaceengi.../forum/26-901-1

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: future, technology, timeline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users