Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Death of the Smartphone: What Will Come After

smartphone nanotechnology microtechnology phones computers transhumanism transhuman BCI microchip internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Check this one out:

Death of the smartphone and what comes after

One day, not too soon — but still sooner than you think — the smartphone will all but vanish, the way beepers and fax machines did before it.
Make no mistake: We're still probably at least a decade away from any kind of meaningful shift away from the smartphone. (And if we're all cyborgs by 2027, I'll happily eat my words. Assuming we're still eating at all, I guess.)
Yet, piece by piece, the groundwork for the eventual demise of the smartphone is being laid by Elon Musk, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, and a countless number of startups that still have a part to play.
And, let me tell you: If and when the smartphone does die, that's when things are going to get really weird for everybody. Not just in terms of individual products but in terms of how we actually live our everyday lives and maybe our humanity itself.
Here's a brief look at the slow, ceaseless march toward the death of the smartphone — and what the post-smartphone world is shaping up to look like.

I was going through the iPhone 9 and Beyond thread and was going to post this in there, but then something caught my mind.
I've been thinking about what comes after the next models of iPhones and Samsung phones and whatnot, what actual innovations future smartphones will allow. Sure, we're going to have 4k displays and wireless charging, but beyond that, what else is there for smartphones?

But that's the wrong question. I should've asked, "what comes after the smartphone?"

Well first we have to settle one other question: what is a smartphone?

For starters, it's not a phone.

Here's a way to think about it: were australopithecines humans? No, of course not. They had some of our features, but they were not of our genus. They simply led to us. We kept on getting more and more advanced until, now, there's literally never been another animal on Earth like us. Not even the australopithecines. 

That's an analogy for smartphone evolution as well. The cell phones of the 1970s and 1980s were not practical and had only one feature anyhow: telephoning. 

The "smart" in smartphone refers to its ability to access the internet. Except there's just one problem: if a phone can connect to the internet, then it's no longer a phone. It's a hybrid between a personal computer and a phone. These days, the idea that phones used to only be able to let you talk to someone from a distance and play "Snake" is the modern version of "we used to only have 3 TV channels", except exponentially more extreme.

Smartphones can access the internet— not a watered down "port" of the internet made for them alone, but the actual World Wide Web. They can run games that are on par with the Xbox 360 and PS3. One can run their whole lives just by using a smartphone.

Now that smartphones have begun rivaling middlingly powerful desktop computers, it's becoming painstakingly obvious they're no longer just phones. They're many, many things, and being a phone is just one of them.

If I could rename the things, I'd sooner call them "mobile computers" instead of  "smartphones".

Because let's face it— that smartphone of yours is basically a "megachip". As opposed to a microchip, your megachip keeps tabs on you and allows you to function in modern society much more efficiently. The only difference is that you carry it around in your hands instead of having it implanted in your skull. 

So we've defined smartphones. 

What now? Ask yourself this: what have computers been doing for the longest time? Shrinking. What's something that allowed the common person to easily use computers? User input. 

You can see where I'm going, right? Soon, very soon, the tech necessary to run a modern day iPhone 7s will be capable of running something that's only a cubic millimeter in size. 

But we can't use something that small! At that scale, they're more like grains of sand than mobile computers. 

However, we can use them to optimize ourselves. We could use that technology to create smartglasses, and then smart implants. We'll begin seeing wholly new user interfaces. At first, it may be gesture control. But then, it'll be direct BCI control. 

At which point, these post-smartphones once again become hybrids— hybrids with us. We often say that smartphones are already extensions of ourselves, but that isn't the literal case. Not until they're a part of our biology. 

As the article says, it may be sooner than you think.

• sasuke2490 likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

sasuke2490

sasuke2490

veteran gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

I'm guessing this will be around late 2030s early 2040s.

https://www.instagc.com/scorch9722

Use my link for free steam wallet codes if you want

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

The next big thing (before BCI) could be wearables that utilize light field display technology. I can imagine smart mini-projectors fielded everywhere so that as you walk by they will project light fields into your eyes, reaching your retinas.

Like that advertisement scene in Minority Report.

Notice that no one uses a smartphone. :D

What are you without the sum of your parts?

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

Nah, in my mind the future of the smartphone will merge with the tablet and laptops and maybe even the desktop computer.

Think of it this way, a few years ago the phone was the heart of it, the interface. then you started getting bluetooth ear pieces that allowed you to just keep the phone in your pocket and click the ear piece tell it who to call and then hands free use it. Then we started looking at google glass, and smart watches that linked back to the pocket carry phones.

So imagine the phones, drop the touch screens, boost the storage capacity and battery life, and make it possible to have several bluetooth synced devices at once. so you can have wireless earphones, a mic, a small highdef capable camera in a something like a necklace, watch or glasses. And then make a bunch of various sized touch screens that link via something like bluetooth.

A pen that rolls out like a scroll to become a touch screen. a crystal clear bar of soap like object in your pocket that is a phone interface, a tabletop that is an interactive display, a projector in a conference room. Augmented reality glasses, HUD in cars, a desk in a classroom.

Sync with your smart home, sync with the external hard drive and docking station at home to make it a desktop computer.

With cloud storage available it makes it even easier.

so the phone/tablet/laptop/computer... will essentially be about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of most current smartphones, it will likely clip to your keys or wallet (given that you can pay with and unlock doors and start some cars with them they may just become the wallet/key too) and everyone will carry one around and maybe one or two earphones and displays, though you will likely have public displays you can sync to temporarily.

• Yuli Ban and Jakob like this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

I'm terrified of this honestly, as much I love the idea of BCI I'm not willing to hand all my thoughts over to an advertiser controlled megamind. Capitalism must be replaced otherwise we will see a modern iteration of Brave New World. I hope we get an analogue to free BSD or sailfish OS for BCI, otherwise the privacy conscious folks like myself are going to be left in the stone age.

• name likes this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

voluntaryist

voluntaryist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

I think that the next step will be a device about the size of a USB drive, containing the cellular, WiFi, and Bluetooth transceivers, GPS receiver, processor, memory, and other circuitry (a personal base station, if you will) that will go in your pocket, that communicates via Bluetooth with smart contact lenses, microphones, etc. 

• Yuli Ban likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,742 posts

Probably AR glasses super imposing  on the real world an  digital screen  with hand control of where you  want to search for(taking over for the mouse) or the touch screen.

Everyone by 2035 will be walking around with what looks like a normal pair of glasses but will have gloves on their hands constantly moving their fingers.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: smartphone, nanotechnology, microtechnology, phones, computers, transhumanism, transhuman, BCI, microchip, internet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users