Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

City on Wheels

city city on wheels mercury infrastructure space

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,236 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables
Nomadic city that rolls along on caterpillar tracks by Manuel Domínguez

A nomadic city moves from place to place like an enormous tank in this conceptual proposal by architecture graduate Manuel Domínguez.

Entitled Very Large Structure, the futuristic megastructure is designed to wheel itself from one location to another to find better economic and physical conditions. Rather than using up the resources of the places it visits, it would be able to produce its own energy and establish new buildings before moving on.

Total length would be 560 meters. It could be built with today's technology.

The most obvious use I see for such a structure, however, is not on Earth at all. It is on Mercury. If this structure can be made to roll along at about 7 mph (perhaps powered by the abundant solar energy--according to my calculations, you would get nearly 10,000 watts per square meter so close to the sun) you can keep up with the terminator line and stay in perpetual twilight and earthlike temperatures.

Very-Large-Structure-by-Manuel-Dominguez

Credit: Manuel Dominguez

Basically imagine these with massive solar arrays attached and you have what I think a Mercury colony will look like. Will's timeline has something like this, but on rails instead of caterpillar tracks. I think this version is more badass and self-reliant, better able to adapt if something goes wrong.

And in my future canon, the first colony on Mercury will be called Dominguez City. It'll be established in the 2140s.

• wjfox and Yuli Ban like this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

voluntaryist

voluntaryist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Rails would entail a much smoother ride.

• LWFlouisa likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,236 posts

Rails would entail a much smoother ride.

Sure, maybe. But caterpillar tracks offer more flexibility. With rails, you basically have to tread the same course endlessly and you're dependent on the train and the tracks not malfunctioning. Shock absorbers would certainly help regardless.

Addendum: with regards to power, small modular nuclear reactors would be a good additional power source, as there is uranium on Mercury.

Spoiler

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

rails would require circling the planet around it's rotational axis, half of which is in searing inferno of sunlight and the other in darkness. That would test even the best materials ability to withstand extremes. not to mention landscape shifting under, over or around the rails. With redundancies in tread it would make a tread arrangement much more dependable and sustainable.

• Jakob likes this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Cartesian Logic

Cartesian Logic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This reminds me of a book series I read in high school called Mortal Engines. Basically the threat of a nuclear holocaust lead to cities becoming mobile and would "eat" each other (battle each other and the victor would scavenge anything useful to upgrade itself).

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

Thought: Is is it possible to circumnavigate mercury without encountering mountainous or otherwise jagged terrain? I mean this city could obviously handle hills but what happens when it encounters something akin the swiss alps or grand canyon?

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,236 posts

Thought: Is is it possible to circumnavigate mercury without encountering mountainous or otherwise jagged terrain? I mean this city could obviously handle hills but what happens when it encounters something akin the swiss alps or grand canyon?

Blast a hole in 'em with nukes.

• Erowind likes this

Spoiler

_SputnicK_

_SputnicK_

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationUSA

This reminds me of the elephant vehicle from the Halo series:

Elephant_1up.jpg

I think it could work, provided there was an actual need for it. I mean, besides perhaps as a carrier for transportable shelter, I can't think of what intrinsic purpose it could serve on earth.

Artificial intelligence will reach human levels by around 2029.

Follow that out further to, say, 2045, we will have multiplied the intelligence, the human biological machine intelligence of our civilization a billion-fold.
-Ray Kurzweil

Cartesian Logic

Cartesian Logic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My bad. It turns out the series is called Predator Cities. Mortal Engines is the first book. Universal is going to be making a movie on the series set to release December 14, 2018. I would post some concept art pictures, but I'm on mobile and it seems my phone has bested me.
  • Alislaws likes this

LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNashChat

I know of a city of wheels. (Redneck humor alert)

A large 20,000 party of SUVs and RVs filling up the interstate superhighway.

Cerebrum Cerebellum -- Speculative Non-Fiction -- Writing

Luna Network -- Nodal Sneaker Network -- Programming

Published Works: https://www.wattpad.com/432077022-tevun-krus-44-sword-planet-the-intergalactic-heads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: city, city on wheels, mercury, infrastructure, space

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users