Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Japan Watch Thread

Japan Shinzō Abe China Korea sci-tech military politics USA East Asia Pacific

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,060 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.
Japan's population will shrink by a staggering 30% by 2060, according to a new estimate by the country's government.

The current population will shrink from the current level of 128 million to 86.74 million, as the graying nation's aging accelerates and the birthrate continues to stay low.

From http://edition.cnn.c...lation-decline/

Thats because the total population in 2060 will account for 39.9% and be aged 65 and older.
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
As a society becomes more technologically advanced it's inevitable that the need to bare offspring will reduce.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
There are several reasons for it. It's very complicated. Just last week I finished book from 2011 about japanese society and culture. I've been interested in Japan for years, but it's the first time I've come across such complementary, logical thing. Normally you'll read only about their attitude towards technology, or their family issues and relations or their work ethics, while this one presents whole picture. And it ain't pleasant picture. It's a deeply disturbed, crazy society, and it's hard to see good outcome for them.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon
^ Which book?

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
"Tatami vs chairs - of Japan and Japanese" - I'm afraid it's in Polish, there's no English version (dunno if they're gonna translate it, even though reception was very positive).
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Care to give us the jist of it?

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Lack of one's opinion - Japanese individuals seem to be unable to form their own opinions. They'll either say what they think is expected of them, or what majority says. Their need for belonging to group is stronger than any other nation. In many terms they seem like bipolar nation, they won't use non-japanese products, they preffer their own social networks to facebook, they despise gaijin, but they do everything to follow gaijin fashion, brightening their skin, doing some weird shit with the epicanthic fold. Their hygiene seems perfect, and they consider other nations to be dirty and stinky, yet it's mostly concering smell, and study shown horrible neglect in terms of underwear or oral hygiene in young and young adults. Their idea of relax is typically panchiko saloons - loud as hell shrieking with noisy metal balls and lour music, filled with cigarette smoke and quite idle game. Small living spaces developed crazy ideas about intimacy and personal space. Highly controlled political, economic and work environments created society that needs to be told what to do. Till early 1900's (!!!) they were deemed to be lazy, so under outside impression their powers, and superiors turned them into work-crazed robots that can't cope with stress. Karoshi is normally depicted as horrible death from overworking, but everything points to conclusion that they die incredibly happy. Unemployed mothers terrorize their children, who are expected to be the best (another thing you'd say is typical in western culture, but not even nearly to this extend), making them prone to suicide. Hikikomori is another result of artificial shaping of society, some individuals just shut off. Married people don't know each other, this results in severe depression when man retires - suddenly wife is no longer alone in her perfect little harmonious world. Suddenly there's this strange man she doesn't know in her little apartament, making noise, watching tv, listening to radio. There's constant mixture between nostalgia toward old times and attempts to challenge way society works (like hikikomori, freelancers, avoidance of marriage). They even managed to turn holidays into horror called "golden week" or something like that. Since japanese man couldn't cope with idea of not being in work while others are working, they go on holiday together, usually visiting country. All of them at once. This turns holiday into exhausting ritual. Their economy and employment rate was great untill globalisation, that cripples their ability to support and shape it as they would see fit. But ethos remains the same, hence some crazy ideas emerged like special companies that help you pretend that you're still employed. Since working man is a good man, there's inemuri syndrome - people dozing off on various occasions, like meetings, in subway and so on. It's reason for pride, because this guy clearly works as hard as he can. Or more. Very low rate of crime is contradicted by serious problems with violence in schools and other places, since shame is mostly to strong for bullied or hurt japanese to report this to authoirities. This are just some random things. It's hard to give the jist, since book is nearly 300 pages long and links all those things with one another, and with their history, making it all logical results of how things were done there and what happened in their history.

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
Right now, do we have another Chernobyl where the region will not be safe for another several thousand years?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon
Japanese women fall behind Hong Kong in longevity

Japanese women have fallen behind Hong Kong in global life expectancy rankings for the first time in 25 years.

This was partly due to the devastating earthquake and tsunami that hit the country in March 2011, said an annual report by Japan's health ministry.

The expected lifespan for Japanese women dropped from 86.30 years in 2010 to to 85.90 years in 2011.

The official life expectancy for women in Hong Kong last year was 86.70 years.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-19008870

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon
'Severe abnormalities' found in Fukushima butterflies

Exposure to radioactive material released into the environment has caused mutations in butterflies found in Japan, a study suggests.

Scientists found an increase in leg, antennae and wing shape mutations among butterflies collected following the 2011 Fukushima accident.

The link between the mutations and the radioactive material was shown by laboratory experiments, they report.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-19245818

Posted Image

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
actually the wild life around chernobyl has managed way better than we expected it would. but it would be interesting to see the data that compares this to the atom bombs dropped. I have my suspiscions about the future of the area. That whole section of Japan will be crumbling radioactive ruins. The population of the area is going to see a huge number of deaths and sickness coming in the next thrity some odd years. The air and waters around there are going to be so toxic, the food supply from the whole region will be compromised. and the radius of cancer and sickness and compromised soil and foods from the sea. Japans population was not a booming one to begin with but I can imagine that we're about to see a health crisis and population collapse like we've not seen before. I'm not sure but I think I'm being generous when I suggest the population of Japan will be less than it is today in thirty years. That's not only a halt to growth but a decline in population. With their economy in the pot too, they may not be able to handle it all, it could go so bad as to lose 1/4 their population between sickness, infertility and infant deaths, and economic collapse. To come out of this it looks like they'll have to reinvent themselves like they did during the post WW2 days. oh and i looked it up. this is more than double chernobyl in magnitude, though smaller in land damage (but the effects on the sea remain to be seen). It's also the equivalent of 2000 atomic bombs. let that sink in for a second.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.
It's actually been found that radiation exposure to the local residents around Fukushima is less than expected.
http://in.news.yahoo...-055619772.html

Edited by CamGoldenGun, 17 August 2012 - 04:41 PM.

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
For the first time in over 300 years, it seems that the famed Mt Fuji is to erupt one again as a side efect of the 2011 Earthquakes of the Tohoku region. Terrifiying.... http://www.vision.or...s.aspx?id=59575

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US
Terrifying indeed. I just read this on a separate article. The recent eruptive pressure increase has put it in an imminent eruptive state. Hope Japan gets serious about this quickly.

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
jeeze japan is really getting flogged by the natural forces and this could well be something that disrupts more of their infrastructure. Not sure if this is something that will sink japan and they may never recover any of their influence on economic or political and cultural fronts. Or if this is one of those things that can result in unifying a populace toward recovering faster, like the war efforts saw us rebound from our great depression in the US.
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

H3llion

H3llion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUnder your Desk

jeeze japan is really getting flogged by the natural forces and this could well be something that disrupts more of their infrastructure.

Not sure if this is something that will sink japan and they may never recover any of their influence on economic or political and cultural fronts. Or if this is one of those things that can result in unifying a populace toward recovering faster, like the war efforts saw us rebound from our great depression in the US.

Exactly, they really do not deserve this. I hope best for Japan, if something really does go on I hope the whole world will help to put Japan back on its knees.

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace
I really hope it does not happen.

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,507 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Worse case scenario: most areas of Japan become inhospitable, and Canada and United States open their western borders to millions of Japanese refugees. There is very little chance of that happening, though.
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,060 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.
Japan on Thursday appointed a new ambassador to China, months after the last nominee died before he could take up his post and as tensions simmer between Tokyo and Beijing over disputed territory. From http://www.spacedail..._China_999.html Good Luck to the new ambassador to China.
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

The stuff nightmares are made of:

1. http://www.businessi...disaster-2013-5 - Japan Is On the Brink Of Disaster

2. http://www.reuters.c...E94N04020130524 - The Deeper Agenda Behind "Abenomics"

3. http://www.bloomberg...an-economy.html - Kuroda Backs Japan Bulls After Share Slump Jolts Abenomics

----

I am absolutely amazed that anyone thinks what the Japanese are doing is a good idea. I can only see one outcome to this policy, and that is hyperinflation, government bankruptcy, and the destruction of the Japanese banking system.

None of this addresses the REAL problem with EVERYTHING about Japan, the fact that the population is NOT growing. PERIOD.

Edited by MarcZ, 27 May 2013 - 02:39 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Japan, Shinzō Abe, China, Korea, sci-tech, military, politics, USA, East Asia, Pacific

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users