Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

What would a galactic Internet protocol be?

cyberspace internet systems archtexture

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNashChat

I was wondering, am I the only one curious about what a galactic internet protocol would be like? It seems like at the rate of private space travel booming on the horizon, it seems like there would need to be a way for different star commands and so forth to be able to communicate with each other.

I have a friend on Wattpad that is writing a Space Cyberpunk, which kind of created the question in my mind. It's not anything I would write, but it's an idea that I'm extremely curious about.

Obviously White Hat hacking would be different in this era.

But galactic internet protocols? Quantum public key cryptography?

I'm honestly at a loss.

Space fiction isn't my area of expertise.

Cerebrum Cerebellum -- Speculative Non-Fiction -- Writing

Luna Network -- Nodal Sneaker Network -- Programming

Published Works: https://www.wattpad.com/432077022-tevun-krus-44-sword-planet-the-intergalactic-heads

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

Are you talking about a interplanetary or interstellar internet? If the former, we've already got the basic protocols and systems in place.

Interstellar internet would of course be orders of magnitude harder. Interstellar wormhole routers would likely form the backbone of the system, similar to the Nexus in Orion's Arm. Nanometer-scale wormholes shouldn't be too hard to build and transport, and they'd be large enough that you can beam lasers through them. In principle, such a network could expand nearly as fast as the galactic frontier, though in practice, demand may limit wormhole routers to strategic star systems. It isn't practical to wire up a billion systems to a billion other systems, and wormhole infrastructure may become unavailable during natural disasters or turbulent political conditions. Other technologies are needed.

In star systems not connected to the interstellar network, broadcasts would likely be accomplished by neutrino communication, since they're both omnidirectional and long-range. Point-to-point messages would likely be sent by laser arrays.

I'd love to see this story and give my critiques.

• LWFlouisa likes this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNashChat

Are you talking about a interplanetary or interstellar internet? If the former, we've already got the basic protocols and systems in place.

Interstellar internet would of course be orders of magnitude harder. Interstellar wormhole routers would likely form the backbone of the system, similar to the Nexus in Orion's Arm. Nanometer-scale wormholes shouldn't be too hard to build and transport, and they'd be large enough that you can beam lasers through them. In principle, such a network could expand nearly as fast as the galactic frontier, though in practice, demand may limit wormhole routers to strategic star systems. It isn't practical to wire up a billion systems to a billion other systems, and wormhole infrastructure may become unavailable during natural disasters or turbulent political conditions. Other technologies are needed.

In star systems not connected to the interstellar network, broadcasts would likely be accomplished by neutrino communication, since they're both omnidirectional and long-range. Point-to-point messages would likely be sent by laser arrays.

It's a story a friend of mine is writing on wattpad. The Space Cyberpunk I mean.

I do more ... Psychic Espionage stories myself.:3

Published Works: https://www.wattpad.com/432077022-tevun-krus-44-sword-planet-the-intergalactic-heads

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

It's a story a friend of mine is writing on wattpad. The Space Cyberpunk I mean.

Link?

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNashChat

Link?

I periodically work on this: https://www.wattpad....n-ai-programmer

https://www.quotev.c...brum-Cerebellum

And my friend JunaydCash does this: https://www.wattpad....870-hackerspace

I had been increasingly moving into a Psychic espionage direction, even when I doing things that were more purely cyberpunk. It's weird thinking though that The Incarnations Of Hemato Tomato And Anna-Marie was considered literary but not SF. :/

• Jakob likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cyberspace, internet, systems, archtexture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users