So there's this subreddit I used to frequent that I rediscovered today— /r/BadHistory.
Badhistory is a place to facepalm and discuss the particularly dire sorts of history that we encounter on a day-to-day basis. Although we primarily focus on Reddit, history from anywhere is welcome whether it's from school, tv, books, real life conversations, movies, or anything else.
Badhistory is a place to equally learn, and have a good time, with both serious and silly topics!
Not for the faint of heart or the partisan. Expect many things you used to believe to collapse in the face of actual, objective evidence!
- Was the Western Front of WW1 fought with "Mostly White Europeans"? Many people, annoyed with the range of ethnicities in Battlefield 1, certainly think so.
- /r/atheism is still in the Christ myth camp
- Cleopatra was black, Alexander the Great was black and only black people could survive in Ancient Egypt - it's too hot!
- Oh no ! It's that graph again ! Only this time it's less ugly and it makes even less sense— sorry, Christianity didn't kill scientific progress and plunge us into a Dark Age
- The corsets in Downton Abbey are very wrong.
- White Supremacist website falsely conflates Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity with other Sub Saharan Africans recently converted by missionaries, falsely claims Africans had no metal working technology, archeological history, oral history or civilization, before Europeans.
- Wherein AskReddit gilds a man for saying "knowledge of science and the Bible" would make him a god in the Middle Ages
- The continued badhistory of Neil deGrasse Tyson: This time, it's the slightly esoteric field of WW1 naval fire control
- Before [white Europeans] colonized the United States the only permanent structures were tents and mounds of dirt."
- On the concept of Soviet Barrier Troops, as portrayed in popular media and in reality
- User citing horrific WWI badhistory, accuses two flaired AskHistorians users flaired in WWI for being badhistory, and believes citing historians/academic works is "Appeal to Authority" and believes saying something happened without any citations is a "primary source"
- Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon has 7 factual errors in the first 20 minutes.
- Mali Empire didn't have roads, written language, or two-story buildings apparently before the White Man and Arabs gave it to them
- "Until the end of the 20th century, there never was a nation or a culture that recognized marriage between two people of the same sex"
- "Iran/Persia is a 3000 year old civilization. They are good, cultured people. The rest of the middle east is barely civilized. They just got off their camels and into their Ferrari's 30 years ago."
- "African Empires only lasted a few centuries so they don't count."
- "Nazism Was A Far Left Movement With A Right Wing Paint Job"
- "Religion is the main cause of war and the root of most suffering in the world"
- from /r/conservative: "Nearly all wars between nations in the history of the world were started by a muslim nation being the aggressor."
- King Arthur's Knights were Black, Aristotle was a Hack and other PC-revisionist gems
- TIL this repost about Oxford is as old as the Aztec Empire
- Democrats are the Real Racists, News at 11
- Neil deGrasse Tyson, or how to fight the flat-Earth lunacy by spreading historical myth (a.k.a Dark Agers knew s*it)
- Let's read a Soviet history textbook together! And analyze just how well they know their World War II!
- "Well afghanistan has been at war for literally 3000 years, since the time of Alexander the Great." AKA "I didn't pick up a history book, and am thoroughly ignorant."
- One /r/ukpolitics user opines that "diversity and multiculturism (sic) brought down the Roman Empire, and was the death of them".
- "Jesus is just a made up saviour, copied from pagan gods and didn't actually exist"
- "The United States has killed 10s of millions of people since WW2"
- "Jesus actually appears to be a carbon copy of the Egyptian god Horus. This particular information cannot be found in any history books BUT they are found in the pyramids of Luxor. They say that the virgin Isis (Virgin Mary) was impregnated by the holy ghost of Neth."
- Bernie Sanders does some Bad History in passing about German Parlimentary Politics.
- "Most Chinese children do suffer from an astonishing lack of creativity. Is it genetic?" "Of course it's genetic."
- 'Japan really fought to liberate Asia, it's just the Jewish-Zionist media are hiding it from us' and other nonesense.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Adequately Sourced. Yes, it's /r/Communism again
- How I Learned to Stop Taking Responsibility and Blame the Muslims.
- "Women did not have a sense that they were being treated as an inferior being," and other little known historical facts.
- This thread, on Ronald Reagan's party switch, is chock full of "the Southern Strategy don't real"
...And more enlightening gems!
AND LET'S NOT FORGET... THE CHARTS!
Sits in corner, rocking back and forth, desperately trying to collect shattered pieces of my old, comfy world