Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Africa News and Discussions

Kenya Ethiopia Sudan Somalia Eritria East Africa Famine Famine Relief International Aid

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

^^^From articles I have read, Mugabe apparently wants to inflict his daughter's rule upon the next generation.  A bit much for his former military supporters, I suppose.

An ugly figurehead indeed.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

Continuation of the National Emergency With Respect to Burundi

(Federal Register) On November 22, 2015, by Executive Order 13712, the President declared a national emergency to deal with the unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States constituted by the situation in Burundi, which has been marked by the killing of and violence against civilians, unrest, the incitement of imminent violence, and significant political repression, and which threatens the peace, security, and stability of Burundi and the region.

The situation in Burundi continues to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States. For this reason, the national emergency declared on November 22, 2015, to deal with that threat must continue in effect beyond November 22, 2017. Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing for 1 year the national emergency declared in Executive Order 13712.

This notice shall be published in the Federal Register and transmitted to the Congress.

  THE WHITE HOUSE, November 6, 2017. Filed 11-7-17; 11:15 am]

[FR Doc. 2017-24464

Billing code 3295-F8-P

2c3403db577356331506c983607eb018.gif

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

^^^From articles I have read, Mugabe apparently wants to inflict his daughter's rule upon the next generation.  A bit much for his former military supporters, I suppose.

An ugly figurehead indeed.

I hope he is removed by force. Trash like this doesn't belong in power.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

Africa Roundup: Tech Awards

https://techcrunch.c.../11/14/1567447/

Introduction:

(TechCrunch) Logistics transportation company Lori Systems won best of show at TechCrunch’s Startup Battlefield Africa after gaining majority votes of the event’s 15 judges. The Kenyan-based venture pitched its platform to optimize all points of the cargo delivery supply chain ― from the trucks, to the suppliers, to invoicing and costs. Co-founded by South African Josh Sandler and Kenyan Gichini Ngaruiya, Lori Systems will now compete in TechCrunch’s flagship event, Disrupt San Francisco 2018.

Lori wasn’t the only winner at Startup Battlefield Africa, where 15 finalists presented before a full house and global audience via live stream. Agtech company Agrocenta ― which helps small holder farmers improve their value chain ― won the competition’s social good category. SynCommerce took honors in the gaming and entertainment category, which also included fashion. The Ghana-based startup helps sellers list and synchronize product inventory and sales across multiple sites, such as Shopify, eBay and Etsy.

Startup Battlefield Africa also included a panel lineup that discussed everything from investing in startups to solving Africa’s internet connectivity equation. Some of October’s bigger African tech headlines dropped around speaker-related companies.

The technology training and job placement company Andela raised $40 million in Series C funding. The financing came from CRE Venture Capital, a Pan-African venture firm, with additional participation from DBL PartnersAmploSalesforce Venturesand Africa-focused TLcom Capital.

Previous investors, including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV and Spark Capital, also joined in funding.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,966 posts
  • LocationLondon

Scientists warn Lake Victoria is dying

Scientists are warning that Lake Victoria, Africa's largest freshwater lake, is under threat of dying.

They blame over-fishing and pollution for severely damaged fish stocks.

A Ugandan fisherman has told the BBC his catch has declined in recent years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ctoria-is-dying

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

Final death toll hits 512 in Somalia truck bombing in October

http://www.latimes.c...1202-story.html

Introduction:

(Los Angeles Times) The final death toll in October's massive truck bombing in Somalia's capital is 512 people, according to the committee tasked with looking into the country's worst-ever attack.

The final toll is a dramatic increase from previous estimates of more than 350 killed. The committee's report, obtained by the Associated Press, says another 312 people were wounded in the Mogadishu bombing and 62 people remain missing.

Somalia's government has blamed the Al Qaeda-linked Shabab extremist group for the Oct. 14 attack, which struck a crowded street. Security officials said the bomb weighed between 1,300 and 1,700 pounds as the extremist group's bomb-making capabilities grow.

The attack appalled Somalis, with some calling it their “9/11.” Thousands later marched in defiance against the extremist group, while the president announced a new military offensive.

Shabab often attacks high-profile areas in Mogadishu. Somali intelligence officials have said the massive truck bomb was meant to target the heavily guarded airport, where several countries have embassies, but instead detonated in the crowded street after soldiers opened fire and flattened one of the truck's tires.

01b3c1bb5ddede32aa5dde32c1d65b86.gif

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

400,000 young children in Congo could starve to death
Source: Axios

There are at least 400,000 severely malnourished children under 5 years old living in the Democratic Republic of Congo who could die within months without emergency intervention, UNICEF warned today.

The gritty details: After 18 months of conflict, displaced people and poor harvests, these children in the Kasai region are the most vulnerable in a population of 750,000 acutely malnourished children in what some say could become the "biggest emergency of 2018."
There have been ongoing fights between local rebel groups and government troups in the Kasai region after tribal chieftain and rebel Kamwina Nsapu was killed last year, Yahoo reports.

Due to this unrest as well as the everyday, ongoing violence in the African country, 3.9 million people have been displaced in DRC, according to the UN refugee report.

Read more: https://www.axios.co...2516918576.html

BBC video report: http://www.bbc.co.uk...i-s-hunger-road

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

One last push to end South Sudan's deadly civil war

http://http://www.al...4071246774.html

Introduction:

(Al Jaazera) I know and have seen war and its horror and cruelty in my own country. I have supported peace processes in conflicts since. But all of that didn't quite prepare me for my trip to South Sudan earlier this year.

Since civil war broke out in December 2013, South Sudan has spiralled into a deeper state of emergency. It's a brutal conflict, steeped in claims of ethnic cleansing. A deadly hunger crisis reigns over parts of the country: It is the civilians, the women and the children who are paying the price. The palpable hope of South Sudan's independence in 2011 - something so many of us celebrated in our region -  now seems very distant. 

Women - strong, hard-working and self-sacrificing women - told me, "We want to walk freely, we want to farm, we want to feed our families." They live in a city called Malakal, on a "Protection of Civilians" (POC) site. "At home, we used our hands for our work, now we have been turned into beggars, and we cannot provide for our families," Mary* told me. She lives on the site now, and like many women has been widowed by the conflict.

I visited what felt like a ghost town. Malakal used to be South Sudan's second largest city after the capital, Juba. Now, most of its former residents have fled to neighbouring Sudan- the country that they fought for independence from so fiercely - or they live in the POC camps.

The camp I visited is now home to many displaced women and girls; it is guarded by UN peacekeepers who line its outskirts, in tall watchtowers. They carry heavy weaponry in case the camp is attacked - which it has been, on several occasions.

7e3dbe1cd7c04a5ea1f6fe6bf4a28806_18.jpg

People displaced by fighting wait to get water at a United Nations Mission in South Sudan

(UNMISS) camp in Malakal, Upper Nile State [Andreea Campeanu/Reuters]

eb4f05529de04478ea65481f703bc578.gif

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts
https://hbr.org/2017...acturing-center

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Somalia, Eritria, East Africa, Famine, Famine Relief, International Aid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users