Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Will it ever be possible to fully experience higher dimensions in FIVR?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

voluntaryist

voluntaryist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

I'm not referring to already-existing methods wherein you can explore the projections of four dimensional objects onto three dimensional space, or the mathematical treatment of higher dimensional objects.  To fully experience four dimensions, you would need a simulated four dimensional body.  In three dimensions, you experience the world via light striking the two dimensional surfaces of your eyes.  A four dimensional being would see via waves from the four dimensional surroundings striking throughout the volume of some sense organ (rather than its surface).  

Is it possible to take a mind that is the result of a three dimensional brain, that has only ever known three dimensional space, and have it perceive itself to possess a four dimensional body in a four dimensional space?

• Nerd likes this

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

I'm not referring to already-existing methods wherein you can explore the projections of four dimensional objects onto three dimensional space, or the mathematical treatment of higher dimensional objects.  To fully experience four dimensions, you would need a simulated four dimensional body.  In three dimensions, you experience the world via light striking the two dimensional surfaces of your eyes.  A four dimensional being would see via waves from the four dimensional surroundings striking throughout the volume of some sense organ (rather than its surface).  

Is it possible to take a mind that is the result of a three dimensional brain, that has only ever known three dimensional space, and have it perceive itself to possess a four dimensional body in a four dimensional space?

Well taken into consideration of how both animation and virtual reality are steadily advancing I do believe it possible for our conscious to percieve things we're not use to seeing. Actually it is possible as we see new things all the time, especially when go someplace new. We are 3rd dimensional beings, but it's said by some that humanity will soon become 4th dimensional beings as we understand more about space and reality itself. But in the case of VR especially FIVR, it can potentially prep our minds into understanding and being in a dimension higher than ours and awake our consciousness into a 4th dimensional state. If that makes sense to you

• Nerd likes this

Whereas

Whereas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Yes. Though you may be asking whether it is going to be possible to do so without brain augmentations... and if I had to guess the answer to that, then I'd say no. The brain is highly adaptable when it comes to interpreting sensory information: it's pretty much "plug & play", and will, for instance, figure out that it needs to interpret a sound-based sonar data feed as spatial information within minutes. Four-dimensional spatial data may not work with our visual/spatial centers, though. While I suspect the brain could have built these centers accordingly if a child were actually *raised* in such an environment, an adult's visual centers are rather fixed (repairing the eyes of an adult person who'd been blind since birth does not grant them sight, because they'd never developed said centers at the age when the brain does that).

If you're wrong, how would you know it?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

If we didn't have eyes, we wouldn't be able to perceive 2D space in the first place. Likewise, we could experience higher dimensions with augmentations without the need for FIVR. Inversely, we can't really perceive higher dimensions if we don't have the capability of doing so in the first place.

It's becoming my phrase of the year now— hardware enables software. Biological hardware, silicon hardware, it doesn't matter. You can't play GTA 5 (or even GTA 1) on a Commodore 64 for the same reason a dog can't speak like a human— hardware's just not there. A 4th spatial dimension could be staring us in the face right now, but we can't perceive it because we just don't have the proper organs. It might even be that you can't evolve these organs biologically and have to do so technologically.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

If we didn't have eyes, we wouldn't be able to perceive 2D space in the first place. Likewise, we could experience higher dimensions with augmentations without the need for FIVR. Inversely, we can't really perceive higher dimensions if we don't have the capability of doing so in the first place.

It's becoming my phrase of the year now— hardware enables software. Biological hardware, silicon hardware, it doesn't matter. You can't play GTA 5 (or even GTA 1) on a Commodore 64 for the same reason a dog can't speak like a human— hardware's just not there. A 4th spatial dimension could be staring us in the face right now, but we can't perceive it because we just don't have the proper organs. It might even be that you can't evolve these organs biologically and have to do so technologically.

Animation and high contextual photos has allowed us to visulize what a 4D space or image may look like, and if it truly is what we believe it to look like then we're completely capable of percieving a 4D environment. Though whether or not higher dimensional realms truly exist and if we're able to go into them is yet to be proven and still up for debate though when it comes to trying to simulate a 4D space via augmented or virtual reality, it gives us a clear sense of what it'll be like to inhabit a 4D space or realm.

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

To infinity, and beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

This is exciting, because if we can experience 4th dimensional things, then can we modify tech to experience 5th dimensional things, and what about 6th dimensional.  suddenly you're in the 3849573895th dimension and can go anywhere in the universe with a step.

Of course i don't believe this can be achieved until after the singularity, but still, the storage and free space and travel opportunities are amazing 

Pope Francis said that atheists are still eligible to go to heaven, to return the favor, atheists said that popes are still eligible to go into a void of nothingness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users