Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

2019: First Floating City Starts Construction

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

This is a prediction for the year 2019. Plans are currently formulating for the first floating city to be built over the pacific ocean within the next year in a half. These plans are being made and dealt with between the French Polynesian and Seasteading Institute. They hope to have 250-300 residents in by the year 2020 and by 2050 they hope millions of people will inhabit the city.

Click Here for a source.

3C3369EB00000578-4127954-image-a-3_14846

• eacao, Jakob, Eterion and 3 others like this

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

I hope it goes well, I'd move.

• Alpha Centari and LWFlouisa like this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

I hope it goes well, I'd move.

I suspect a lot of people would like to move there, first people to live in a city hovering above ground (or ocean in this case).

Omosoap

Omosoap

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Yeah, I'm tempted too, especially now that I'm reading the book created by the Seasteaders Institute. It's changing my mind on some things, for sure. Democracy and capitalism don't work completely as they should on land, for instance, because there is no ability to easily withdraw yourself from participation in a nation. Also, climate change could be easily solved through aquaculture, for example. Lots of problems are solved if you are willing to think less like a landlubber it seems. Turns out people that live around water, like the Dutch, come up with some innovative out of the box solutions that are common among those that work and live around water (that are also educated). Water really does create a mindset of fluidity and creativity. I always did love working with fish and aquariums...hmm.

• Alpha Centari likes this

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Yeah, I'm tempted too, especially now that I'm reading the book created by the Seasteaders Institute. It's changing my mind on some things, for sure. Democracy and capitalism don't work completely as they should on land, for instance, because there is no ability to easily withdraw yourself from participation in a nation. Also, climate change could be easily solved through aquaculture, for example. Lots of problems are solved if you are willing to think less like a landlubber it seems. Turns out people that live around water, like the Dutch, come up with some innovative out of the box solutions that are common among those that work and live around water (that are also educated). Water really does create a mindset of fluidity and creativity. I always did love working with fish and aquariums...hmm.

Yeah, that's actually one of the main reasons why floating cities and complexes are being built, to provide a solution to areas heavily affected by climate change and rising sea levels. It's widely predicted that within the next few years (around 2020 onward) climate change will really start becoming noticeable with certain areas of the Arctic melting and becoming ice-free. But what really surprises me is how fast technology and material science as advanced to the point we can actually build a real life floating city! I've noticed for quite some time that as time progresses, a lot of the things we believed to be impossible or nothing more than Science Fiction winds up becoming a reality or Science fact. If you were to walk up to a random average person a century or so ago and tell them in the future we'll be building floating cities, autonomous cars and there will be a way for billions of people to interact, share and post things with each other across the globe instantly like we're doing now with the Internet, they'll likely either laugh at you or think you're crazy and try to lock you in a asylum.

LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNashChat

Sign me up for a residency and work Visa!

Floating on water is one thing. I'd still be hard pressed to believe in a Jetson's like scenario. Especially when Jetsons can't even predict something as completely basic as World Wide Web and Quantum Cryptography.

The reason is obvious, it's one thing if we're taking about turning water tanks into tiny houses. It's entirely another thing to propose something as ridiculous and unsubtle as Soda Fountain on a 2000 ft tall skewer.

(Yes I'm also critiquing 1950/60s fashion.)

Cerebrum Cerebellum -- Speculative Non-Fiction -- Writing

Luna Network -- Nodal Sneaker Network -- Programming

Published Works: https://www.wattpad.com/432077022-tevun-krus-44-sword-planet-the-intergalactic-heads

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Anywho I'm still waiting for wjfox's thoughts or feedback on adding this to the timeline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users