Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Year 10,000 problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

By the year 10,000 A.D, all computer time and software with a 4 digit encoding will be incapable of processing and keeping track of this date, which may lead to some complications trying to store and retrive data beyond this point. This should also be added to the timeline. Source here and here.

hqdefault.jpg

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

By the year 10,000 A.D, all computer time and software with a 4 digit encoding will be incapable of processing and keeping track of this date, which may lead to some complications trying to store and retrive data beyond this point. This should also be added to the timeline. Source here and here.

I don't think there will be any windows users by 10.000 AD. Or atleast those who remember what "windows" means...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

I don't think there will be any windows users by 10.000 AD. Or atleast those who remember what "windows" means...

Maybe so, but regardless I still think it'll be a nice addition to the timeline.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Maybe so, but regardless I still think it'll be a nice addition to the timeline.

Yes, as an obvious joke but one that is appreciated.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,236 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

No computers in existence today will be around in 8000 years.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

No, I really think this should be on the timeline

And no human alive today will be around millions, billions or even trillions of years from now (unless you're immortal). But yet they're predictions on the timeline that are that ahead, such as the sun destroying all the inner planets including Earth. We won't be around 5 billion years from now to see that but the prediction is still on there. Same goes for this prediction. You're right that no computer today will still be in use over 7 thousand years from now, but so what?

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
All in all, the final desicion goes to wjfox. If he wants to add this to the timeline great, but if not that's ok. I just wanted to share this prediction with y'all along with my 2 others I've posted.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,236 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

And no human alive today will be around millions, billions or even trillions of years from now (unless you're immortal). But yet they're predictions on the timeline that are that ahead, such as the sun destroying all the inner planets including Earth. We won't be around 5 billion years from now to see that but the prediction is still on there. Same goes for this prediction. You're right that no computer today will still be in use over 7 thousand years from now, but so what?

Don't be daft. Any computer built to last that long, or built around that time, will have an appropriate clock, so it's utterly pointless.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Don't be daft. Any computer built to last that long, or built around that time, will have an appropriate clock, so it's utterly pointless.
And as I told you I agree with you on that, but so what? 5 billion years from now we'll likely have the technology to move a whole planet from danger including Earth or simply move to a different planet altogether, so I'm not getting your point.

Whereas

Whereas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

[...]

And as I told you I agree with you on that, but so what? 5 billion years from now we'll likely have the technology to move a whole planet from danger including Earth or simply move to a different planet altogether, so I'm not getting your point.

Well, this year 10,000 'problem' is going to be far less of an issue than the "devastation" that was caused by the Y2K bug. If the deadline were 3 years from today, we'd probably have few complications patching everything important.

We can't exactly say the same about the Sun destroying the Earth. It may be far away, but that's not comparably trivial. Even if everyone moves to a different planet (or we move our planet itself), it's still at least noteworthy  from a historic point of view.

If you're wrong, how would you know it?

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

[...]

Well, this year 10,000 'problem' is going to be far less of an issue than the "devastation" that was caused by the Y2K bug. If the deadline were 3 years from today, we'd probably have few complications patching everything important.
We can't exactly say the same about the Sun destroying the Earth. It may be far away, but that's not comparably trivial. Even if everyone moves to a different planet (or we move our planet itself), it's still at least noteworthy from a historic point of view.
Well, even though I think this should be on here, I can see y'all don't want it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users