Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

How much global warming by 2100?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,760 posts

How much global warming by 2100? This is science and it discusses the future so I wish to hear your opinion on the effects and how much???

My prediction.

1c warming the next 83 years +1c since 1880 = 2c.

12 inches of sea level change

Many islands going under

Miami flooding at the high tides

Many nation suffering greatly

I am sure this will cause a lot of wars over resources.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Global warming is becoming ever more noticeable and appearant as time goes on and relating to Climate Change is rising sea levels. It's actually predicted that by 2100 the majority of coastal areas around the world will be submerged in water, about double the level it is now, maybe more

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
One popular solution to rising sea levels in particular is to construct floating cities and metropolises. In fact the first floating city is expected to be build in the next year in a half by 2019. Here's the prediction I posted about it

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

There's many places around the Gulf and east coast that are getting 2-3 times the rate of sea level rise. Imagine for a second that this remains the same throughout the next 83 years!

There's going to be areas of the gulf coast and east coast that get 2-3 feet of sea level change.

Miami is going to be reduced in size and large part of florida will also be.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,966 posts
  • LocationLondon

How much global warming by 2100? This is science and it discusses the future so I wish to hear your opinion on the effects and how much???

My prediction.
1c warming the next 83 years +1c since 1880 = 2c.
12 inches of sea level change
Many islands going under
Miami flooding at the high tides
Many nation suffering greatly

I am sure this will cause a lot of wars over resources.

12 inches by 2100 is extraordinarily conservative. It is literally at the bottom end of the IPCC projections.

Rather odd given your pro-science and pro-environment stance.

The amount of heat stored in the oceans is gargantuan and will take centuries to reduce.

Similarly, your 2°C prediction is very conservative - although perhaps you're basing this on carbon sequestration/geoengineering efforts in the coming decades?

Under a business-as-usual scenario we're heading for 4-5°C and multi-metre sea level rises by 2100.
  • Sciencerocks and Wolfbane like this

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Are you calculating this based on current trends? It should be noted that countries are moving progressively towards renewable energy, and there will be massive jumps/shifs towards alternative fuels in the future.

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Are we condemned or is there still a solution?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Are we condemned or is there still a solution?

Or are some of us willing to let Earth become a wasteland and all of us get to survive despite all of that by artificial means?

Sounds pretty dystopian.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,966 posts
  • LocationLondon

Even if we cut all emissions to zero overnight, the Earth would continue warming for centuries. That's how bad the situation is.

• Sciencerocks, Yuli Ban and Erowind like this

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Even if we cut all emissions to zero overnight, the Earth would continue warming for centuries. That's how bad the situation is.

Hence the inevitable need for geo-engineering on a massive scale. It's the ONLY way out of this vicious cycle.

• Unity and Erowind like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

That's what I've been trying to tell people. That's why we need geoengineering. Saying we shouldn't at least try is like being in an out of control car, and then getting all whimpery and whining saying "No, no, just let it happen" instead of taking the wheel and trying to course correct.

We lost the right to have a debate on it decades ago.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

That's what I've been trying to tell people. That's why we need geoengineering. Saying we shouldn't at least try is like being in an out of control car, and then getting all whimpery and whining saying "No, no, just let it happen" instead of taking the wheel and trying to course correct.

We lost the right to have a debate on it decades ago.

Ah, great minds think alike. Just posted before you about the same thing.

• Erowind likes this

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

We need to start finding ways to suck the carbon out of the atmosphere. It is possible to solve this problem, we need a mobilization effort greater than that of WWII to accomplish it though.

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

As We Rise

As We Rise

I came back~!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

We need to start finding ways to suck the carbon out of the atmosphere. It is possible to solve this problem, we need a mobilization effort greater than that of WWII to accomplish it though.
For one, we could start with halting destruction of the damn forests and rainforests for profit. Then replant millions of acres of lost forestland.
  • Erowind likes this

Let us all come together and help save the world, one tree at a time.

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

For one, we could start with halting destruction of the damn forests and rainforests for profit. Then replant millions of acres of lost forestland.

Trees and Rainforests are useless, it would be better to focus on less oil spills so that our coral reefs and bacteria/algae in the ocean are healthy and can do their job.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Trees and Rainforests are useless, it would be better to focus on less oil spills so that our coral reefs and bacteria/algae in the ocean are healthy and can do their job.

Lol. Yeah man forget about those damn trees! Who needs them!?

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Wolfbane

Wolfbane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHarja
Man has poisoned his own house, and now knows not what to do.

Not wishing to abandon what he has, he seeks ways to poison it further with atmospheric preservatives. First his food next his air. But yet it IS the only way... Survival instincts run strong in you still, all the stronger as you lose what you have left.

Should Nature forgive his treachery? No... he lies to himself about it still.

All the riches of the world are worth nothing if the world is black silt in your hands.

It matters not how much temperatures rise by 2100. They will rise as high as it takes for Man to learn his lesson. Those who are born today may live to see this time... Look into their eyes and behold the bleak future you know not yet.

What is it to fear? If death is an end, then so be it. For there is no pain in that, except the pain that is left to the living. And if death is not an end, then what more than a wonderful journey...

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Man has poisoned his own house, and now knows not what to do.

Not wishing to abandon what he has, he seeks ways to poison it further with atmospheric preservatives. First his food next his air. But yet it IS the only way... Survival instincts run strong in you still, all the stronger as you lose what you have left.

Should Nature forgive his treachery? No... he lies to himself about it still.

All the riches of the world are worth nothing if the world is black silt in your hands.

It matters not how much temperatures rise by 2100. They will rise as high as it takes for Man to learn his lesson. Those who are born today may live to see this time... Look into their eyes and behold the bleak future you know not yet.

Actually it does matter how much temperatures rise by 2100. It matters a LOT

Wolfbane

Wolfbane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHarja
What matters more is how much Man will allow them to rise. His destiny is in his own hands.

What is it to fear? If death is an end, then so be it. For there is no pain in that, except the pain that is left to the living. And if death is not an end, then what more than a wonderful journey...

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

What matters more is how much Man will allow them to rise. His destiny is in his own hands.

Well now I understand, of course that matters more. But we cannot exactly choose how much it will rise, even if we stopped all emissions right now the temperature would still most likely increase, I guess nature chooses how much the temperature increases, not us, we can only influence nature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users