Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The top invention predictions of the next decades?

future predictions future

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Each decade has one breakout invention

The '00's was: the iphone

The '10's was: the 3-D printer

What invention do you predict will be the major breakout innovation for the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's?

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,705 posts

2010's was electric cars and vertical reuable rockets

2020's will probably be the skylon air to space ship, Hyperloop going into full operation and laser gun like in star trek!

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
2020s - After decades of tech geek dominance being the new normal, biology has its best decade. Incredible gains in life extension/health/mods science. Health scanner on smartphone wins best invention.

2030 - The gains in biology push neuroscience into its great era, like evolution, biology starts to be replaced by the digital age. Best invention - Brain interface, beating out reverse ageing?!

2040 - singularity-like. Best invention - the 'Reload Saved Game' button, for when you really f' things up like Rick and Morty.

2050 - worse than Rick and Morty..
  • Casey and sasuke2490 like this
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,129 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I can't even fathom what'll be the dominant cultural innovation in the 2050s onwards. 

I mentioned in a status update that I've started 'shopping in robots and whatnot into photos, and that's helped me "normalize" the Future™ a bit so that I can see, say, 2037 as being a year filled with humans and gimmicky inventions and established innovations and whatnot rather than a Romanticized wish of the future. But it's the same problem I keep running into with fiction writing— introduce general AI, and all of a sudden you might as well be asking a voluntaryist conservative to imagine a world devoid of capitalism without describing it as a dystopia. Because you run into loads of questions like "Does AI invent things by 2090 that are found in the Far Future section of the timeline?" If so, what the fuck? If not, why? 

Same thing that's hurting the later books of Mother Meki— what will the world look like in 200 or 300 years? Is it possible that there's some sort of physical S-curve of existence where we lived roughly unchanged lives with a sense that the future wouldn't be any different all the way up to the 1700s, then there's 500 years of exponentially rapid technological growth, and then we reach "Peak Technology" where we can now fuck with the fundamental forces of the universe and all but conjure wine orgies from water vapor and live 10,000 years in virtual mega harems? At which point, wouldn't the Future™ resemble the Past™ in some way? We can't really improve the human condition or get more efficient after a certain point, no matter how fast we send out nanobots into outer space.

Would we reach that point when we invent ASI? And if we reach that point between 2045-2055, how on Earth do you quantify future technological development without saying

2045: We invent ASI

2055: We become a Type 1 civilization

2065: We crush the universe and become one with reality

I suppose that's the nature of the Singularity, which is what makes it such a bitch to write about.

"So... what are the top invention predictions of the next decades?"

O-oh, what? Oh, I dunno. Maybe brain-implant iPhones by the 2030s.

• FrogCAT likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

The 3-d printer is not even the breakout technology this decade as far as I'm concerned. That would go towards autonomous vehicles. 

• Sciencerocks likes this

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

The 3-d printer is not even the breakout technology this decade as far as I'm concerned. That would go towards autonomous vehicles. 

What do you mean when you say that it is not the breakout technology? I don't think it's ever been more popular or in more widespread use than it is today. Autonomous vehicles on the other hand don't even exist on the road today. Sure vehicles with autonomous features exist and even ones with potentially full autonomous capabilities exist like the Model 3 but that industry is still nascent. 

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,129 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

In the case of 3D printers, it may be more popular, but that's like saying 4 is more than 2. Compared to a number like 32, 4 is nothing. 

3D printers had a lot of hype earlier this decade, but the problem is that most people don't have much of a need for printing ceramic molds, so you mainly see it in universities, labs, and at the headquarters of start-ups. We need multimaterial printers. But even most universities and laboratories lack multimaterial printers.

I'd say VR was the breakout tech of the decade. The PSVR is an undebatable success. Even I wasn't expecting over a million units sold that soon. 

• TranscendingGod likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

BarkEater93

BarkEater93

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCanada

3D printers have actually been around for a while; the additive manufacturing process had big developments in the 80's. It's just that in the last decade they've evolved to be more versatile, efficient and compact, and so have gained wider recognition.

So I'm hesitant to predict precise inventions in a certain decade because usually it takes a while for new technologies to permeate in society, and anyways I'm more interested in technologies that have reached a point when they start to have a real big societal impact.

These are the big technological trends that I think will define the rest of the century. Most are already underway but I think they're going to see some very important inventions, and will have the biggest impact:

-Space-based Solar (solar satellites in geostationary orbit convert the Sun's energy to microwave radiation and beam it to Earth. Receivers will evolve to be used almost anywhere and be mobile. Will eventually almost completely replace fossil fuels)

-Energy Storage (batteries will evolve to be much more efficient, high powered and used in many ways like powering homes, vehicles, ... even entire industries. Combined with solar, we will see the eradication of wires, circuits and utility lines)

-Desalination of Ocean Water (Most of the world's population doesn't have clean water access, and also most people live near the coast. There will be better technologies to more efficiently convert sea water to fresh water, which will be consumed by a large chunk of the world's population)

-Robotics (Declining and aging population in developed countries plus higher standards of living will promote higher research into robotics to replace the most dangerous jobs and to maintain productivity)

-Genetics (Gene therapy and other techniques will radically reduce many degenerative diseases; providing a boost in life expectancy)

-Better and Cheaper Space Travel (spacecraft that can launch almost anytime and anywhere at low cost; more akin to the much reduced logistical hurdles of today's air travel; this will occur as space becomes increasingly militarized and commercialized)

Bubble99

Bubble99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

In the case of 3D printers, it may be more popular, but that's like saying 4 is more than 2. Compared to a number like 32, 4 is nothing. 

3D printers had a lot of hype earlier this decade, but the problem is that most people don't have much of a need for printing ceramic molds, so you mainly see it in universities, labs, and at the headquarters of start-ups. We need multimaterial printers. But even most universities and laboratories lack multimaterial printers.

I'd say VR was the breakout tech of the decade. The PSVR is an undebatable success. Even I wasn't expecting over a million units sold that soon. 

I think 3D printers will take off when they get better. Today 3D printers are kinda of crude.

When 3D printers can print different materials and more complex objects they will take off.

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
2020's: New era emerges for the internet, major progress in neuroscience, 3-d printing is becoming commonplace, progress in longevity is becoming awarable to the public
2030's: Autonomous vehicles are becoming widespread, holographic technology is appearing in cities and becoming integrable within various devices, AI is ubiquitous
2040's-2050's: Singularity like event is either already occurring or will soon
2040's: AI is reaching average human cognitive abilities, robots are common in the average home and seen in high populated cities and areas, humans are beginning to merge with AI, Transhumanism is becoming reality

From 2050-60 onward the predictions become quite vague and uncertain and from 2100 onward it becomes nearly impossible to accuratly predict what life will be like

dekoomer

dekoomer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

2020's Renewables starts to replace fossil fuels, mass adoption begins. 

2025's satellite internet and service makes a comeback, Networks of satellites capable of 1Gbs of low latency(25ms) internet is launched to low earth orbit by private space companies. 

2030's Homes are becoming more independent of the grid, with many homes getting and storing power from renewable and accessing gigabit internet thur ubiquitous low latency satellites. Traditional power and cable companies lowers prices and increase speeds in this new age of renewable energy and service competition.

housecutout.png

Sources:

https://arstechnica....and-satellites/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: future predictions, future

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users