Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Mathematical secrets of ancient tablet unlocked after nearly a century of study

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,967 posts

Mathematical secrets of ancient tablet unlocked after nearly a century of study
Source: The Guardian

At least 1,000 years before the Greek mathematician Pythagoras looked at a right angled triangle and worked out that the square of the longest side is always equal to the sum of the squares of the other two, an unknown Babylonian genius took a clay tablet and a reed pen and marked out not just the same theorem, but a series of trigonometry tables which scientists claim are more accurate than any available today.

The 3,700-year-old broken clay tablet survives in the collections of Columbia University, and scientists now believe they have cracked its secrets.

The team from the University of New South Wales in Sydney believe that the four columns and 15 rows of cuneiform – wedge shaped indentations made in the wet clay – represent the world’s oldest and most accurate working trigonometric table, a working tool which could have been used in surveying, and in calculating how to construct temples, palaces and pyramids.

...snip...

“The tablet not only contains the world’s oldest trigonometric table; it is also the only completely accurate trigonometric table, because of the very different Babylonian approach to arithmetic and geometry. This means it has great relevance for our modern world. Babylonian mathematics may have been out of fashion for more than 3,000 years, but it has possible practical applications in surveying, computer graphics and education. This is a rare example of the ancient world teaching us something new.”

Read more: https://www.theguard...entury-of-study

Fucking amazing!

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,679 posts

I always like stories like this that suggest that the ancients were not nearly as stupid and ignorant as we sometimes think.  That is also why I hate the whole "ancient aliens" theory.  Such ideas are promulgated by people who simply do not understand that the best and the brightest of ancient peoples truly did operate at a genius level.

• PhoenixRu and Jakob like this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

idk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

The tablet not only contains the world’s oldest trigonometric table; it is also the only completely accurate trigonometric table, because of the very different Babylonian approach to arithmetic and geometry.

Sorry for the stupid question:

Why is it different?

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

I always like stories like this that suggest that the ancients were not nearly as stupid and ignorant as we sometimes think.  That is also why I hate the whole "ancient aliens" theory.  Such ideas are promulgated by people who simply do not understand that the best and the brightest of ancient peoples truly did operate at a genius level.

The "ancient alien" theory doesn't go against how intelligent people were in those times, we know they were smart. What leaves many people to that theory is how many object such the pyramids, Stonehenge,etc were built when the technology thousands of years wasn't advanced enough to build such structures. There's also evidence in certain ancient drawings and texts that depict beings not of this planet.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 4,679 posts

The "ancient alien" theory doesn't go against how intelligent people were in those times, we know they were smart. What leaves many people to that theory is how many object such the pyramids, Stonehenge,etc were built when the technology thousands of years wasn't advanced enough to build such structures. The

I disagree.  Your argument is premised on the idea that technological advances proceed in a linear fashion.  That is simply not the case.  For example, the battery has been invented and re-invented several times in history.  It often disappeared from historical memory (absent an archaeological site or two) because accompanying inventions like light bulbs were not made.

Although not convincing to me, your observation concerning  "ancient drawings and text" depicting aliens is not so easily dismissed.  I simply am not interested in spending the time debunking such assertions.  

As I have said before, that is not very scientific of me.  It is more the economist in me that has things on my mind of greater import..  So let me know if you do establish direct communication with any of these ancient alien critters and I will listen for a bit. 

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 4,679 posts

The tablet not only contains the world’s oldest trigonometric table; it is also the only completely accurate trigonometric table, because of the very different Babylonian approach to arithmetic and geometry.

Sorry for the stupid question:

Why is it different?

From the linked article:

The team from the University of New South Wales in Sydney believe that the four columns and 15 rows of cuneiform – wedge shaped indentations made in the wet clay – represent the world’s oldest and most accurate working trigonometric table, a working tool which could have been used in surveying, and in calculating how to construct temples, palaces and pyramids.…Daniel Mansfield, of the university’s school of mathematics and statistics, described the tablet which may unlock some of their methods as “a fascinating mathematical work that demonstrates undoubted genius” – with potential modern application because the base 60 used in calculations by the Babylonians permitted many more accurate fractions than the contemporary base 10.

So, apparently it was their use of 60 as a base.  It was as if they had sixty fingers to count on instead of just ten.

I suppose now some people are going to conclude that ancient aliens had sixty fingers :D

• Erowind and BasilBerylium like this

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationRussia

There's also evidence in certain ancient drawings and texts that depict beings not of this planet.

For example? Which drawings and texts? And keep in mind that these "alien beings" may actually be the semi-gods and semi-humans, or semi-humans and semi-animals, or finally semi-gods and semi-animals. Or some other mythological stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users