Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Alternate History: What if the Internet never existed?

alternate history historical what-if internet ARPANET world wide web CERN

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

• Time_Traveller, Erowind and BasilBerylium like this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

I am starting to think that the internet has made this country more evil and nasty. Trump wouldn't be president for one.

Loserterianism would be a back room group of idiots whining about how much they hate the government if they didn't have the forum of the internet. The internet has strengthen the hand of interest of greed and hatred against other people.

The little guy and the worker has been fucked hard.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

My theory is when people talk in real life they have to show compassion and morality or they're told to their face that they're wrong...This can turn into a fight.

On the internet people now can be as evil and this has transferred into the real world. People now are less restrained and don't give a damn about other people at all...

This belief system is greed and evil at its heart.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

Without the internet it would have taken me much longer to find my way to anarchism, but it would have happened eventually. I wouldn't have as much financial freedom because cryptocurrency would not exist. Finally, It would have taken me longer to find my way to intellectualism and I would probably have struggled much more while figuring out what my strengths are. Oh yah, and I may have actually gone insane without the internet to vent into as a tween and young teenager, my childhood was not pretty.

• rennerpetey likes this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationAustralia

I wouldn't have as much financial freedom because cryptocurrency would not exist.

Have you bought anything with a cryptocurrency which you couldn't with paypal / card?

Only take advice from people who have what you want.
You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

I wouldn't have as much financial freedom because cryptocurrency would not exist.

Have you bought anything with a cryptocurrency which you couldn't with paypal / card?

No I don't use the black market for anything. I meant that the amount of money I have is significantly higher because of cryptocurrency. 1500% returns are real. Figure this, even the average crypto investor--assuming their HOLDING not trading--makes more interest every day than the best savings accounts offer in a year. Beyond that, it's very empowering to be your own bank in my opinion, and unlike storing assets under the floorboards, if my house burns down I still have my assets.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,866 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

The internet was simply too big and too obvious an invention to ignore forever, barring the collapse of human civilization. With the right butterflies, you could maybe delay widespread adoption, so that in 2017 it's still only used by governments and universities. But eventually, someone in the private sector would see the commercial implications.

• Yuli Ban, PhoenixRu and rennerpetey like this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts
  • LocationRussia

No I don't use the black market for anything. I meant that the amount of money I have is significantly higher because of cryptocurrency. 1500% returns are real.

That's why i'm sure these "cryptocurrencies" are nothing but financial pyramids. Yes, pyramids are easy way to get easy money, the only problem is that their exponential growth can not last forever. And when pyramid collapses, thousands of naive "investors" are buried under its ruins. I saw it... i saw...

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
Cryptography based computing via blockchain and smart contract has and will continue to disrupt current financial paradigms. What the internet did to the entertainment and information industries, crypto is doing to the financial and business worlds. That thing that it's doing is democrotizing these spaces and putting immutable power in the hands of the individual. I can be my own bank, and hold contract with anyone on the planet all the while having an immutable system carry out those actions. No organization can interfere, that's why there is exponential growth. Yes, one day the growth will slow, but not for at least a decade. Imagine if you could have invested in TCIP circa 1973, that's what crypto is like. There are a lot of scam coins trying to hitch a ride though.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts
  • LocationRussia

Cryptography based computing via blockchain and smart contract has and will continue to disrupt current financial paradigms. What the internet did to the entertainment and information industries, crypto is doing to the financial and business worlds. That thing that it's doing is democrotizing these spaces and putting immutable power in the hands of the individual. I can be my own bank, and hold contract with anyone on the planet all the while having an immutable system carry out those actions. No organization can interfere, that's why there is exponential growth. Yes, one day the growth will slow, but not for at least a decade. Imagine if you could have invested in TCIP circa 1973, that's what crypto is like. There are a lot of scam coins trying to hitch a ride though.

^ ^ ^

Well, i've seen one financial pyramid - so-called MMM-2011 - with very similar quasi-revolutionary ideology: "We're unique, we're creating the new financial paradigm! We're taking power away from Big Bosses and redistibuting it among common people! That's where our money coming from! That's why they're trying to defame us! Don't listen to them!" Needless to say everything ended as always... i'm not going to dissuade you, only time will tell who was right. And still my intuition screams: "No PhoenixRu, stay away from this!" 

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

^ ^ ^

Well, i've seen one financial pyramid - so-called MMM-2011 - with very similar quasi-revolutionary ideology: "We're unique, we're creating the new financial paradigm! We're taking power away from Big Bosses and redistibute it among common people! That's where our money coming from! That's why they're trying to defame us! Don't lithen to them!" Needless to say everything ended as always... i'm not going to dissuade you, only time will tell who was right. And still my intuition screams: "No PhoenixRu, stay away from this!" 

I fully understand what a pyramid scheme is, and the big cryptocurrencies share no qualities with them.

No cult of personality is promising me money, I'm observing a trend and making investments based on good fundamentals. Ethereum for example is backed by the Ethereum Enterprise Alliance which consists of dozens of fortune 500 companies. Companies such as BP, Microsoft, Intel and Credit Suisse. When it comes to bitcoin, no one knows who coded the original software--one of my favorite modern mysteries--but the code has been audited and contributed to by thousands of developers and had millions poured into its open source development by companies and private citizens. When it comes to governments, my government acknowledges bitcoin and other cryptocurrency as an asset class. It is in the same category as gold and oil.

https://entethalliance.org <--- If all the companies on that list are part of a pyramid scheme--I'm sure I could recuperate my losses in what would be the largest class action lawsuit of human history.

This is one of the few times on this forum that I will call someone factually wrong. How much cryptocurrency will grow is mostly speculation and at best an educated guess. However, bitcoin and other large players are not and never will be pyramid schemes. With this all in mind, there are a lot of ponzi schemes started with useless cryptocurrencies designed for the purpose of scamming people.

Also, your president met with Buterin Vitalik to discuss ethereum. https://www.bloomber...-beyond-oil-gas

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

In my eyes, we'd be far closer to a true Orwellian society without the Internet. We're more of a Huxleyan one now because of the internet. 

When only a few corporations control what you see and they know that's the only way it can be, well... Look at North Korea. Absolutely no private or alternative news. Look at Eritrea for an even worse example. Only the State lets you see what they want you to see.

Switch the ideologies out for neoliberal capitalism, and you have the exact same thing in the entirety of the West in an internetless world. 

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 4,866 posts

In my eyes, we'd be far closer to a true Orwellian society without the Internet. We're more of a Huxleyan one now because of the internet. 

When only a few corporations control what you see and they know that's the only way it can be, well... Look at North Korea. Absolutely no private or alternative news. Look at Eritrea for an even worse example. Only the State lets you see what they want you to see.

Switch the ideologies out for neoliberal capitalism, and you have the exact same thing in the entirety of the West in an internetless world. 

We weren't Orwellian before the internet.

Spoiler

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

You sure about that?

I use Orwellian in the colloquial sense, by the way.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 4,866 posts

You sure about that?

I use Orwellian in the colloquial sense, by the way.

Not particularly in the West--the East is another matter, but then, a lot of parts of the East still are even with plenty of internet access.

Spoiler

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

My rebuttal: 

COINTELPRO

MK Ultra

How the C.I.A. Played Dirty Tricks With Culture

We had plenty of proto-Orwellian systems in place before the Internet. Without the Internet (but with the progression of computer technology), there's no doubt that these systems would have progressed past the point of no return at some point in history.

• Cody930 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alternate history, historical what-if, internet, ARPANET, world wide web, CERN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users