Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Interstellar sneakernet

interstellar interstellar communication sneakernet breakthrough starshot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

A week ago I wrote a highly detailed answer on Quora looking into the practicality of interstellar communication physical "letters" instead of laser or radio communication. As it turns out, it's surprisingly practical for any large-scale transmission, given the poor bit rate of electromagnetic communication over interstellar distances (at any reasonable laser power anyway). There's a lot of math there that I won't repeat over here, but anyway, discuss.

The conclusion to my Quora answer may be the topic of another thread.

• Infinite and Erowind like this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

Pretty cool, it still blows my mind that we could have a 50megabyte upload speed to another star system, granted the latency would suck. I feel like for smaller things people are going to want the faster transmission speed that an array would provide, and for larger bits of data an interstellar sneakernet. There are use cases for both. 

• Jakob likes this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
Awesome read Jakob!
  • Jakob likes this

Is minic an fhírinne searbh.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: interstellar, interstellar communication, sneakernet, breakthrough starshot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users