Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Global Earthquake and Volcanism Thread

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

Exactly what you think it is about. Earthquakes and volcanoes are disasters which can have enormous global consequences and can change the course of history. This thread will be a discussion on current seismic/volcanic hazards, risks of future hazards, preparedness and other scientific tidbits.

Without further ado....

34,000 flee Moung Agung as tremor magnitude intensifies

Thousands have been told to leave their homes as seismic activity has dramatically increased at the volcano which last erupted in 1963 killing more than 1,000 people. Last eruption was VEI5 and this could well be one of the largest eruptions so far this century should it occurs and could potentially threaten many lives on the island of Bali as well as disrupt air traffic across the Southern Hemisphere.

https://www.theguard...emors-intensify

• eacao likes this

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
Seismic activity in the western hemisphere seems like a precursor to a yellowstone Eruption.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

Seismic activity in the western hemisphere seems like a precursor to a yellowstone Eruption.

If Yellowstone erupted I'd be booking it the to the east coast, I'll build a shanty raft if I have to. The Ocean would likely treat a refugee better than the societal chaos that would follow such an event. I guess I'd try to make it to somewhere on the other side of the planet, although effects would be felt worldwide.

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

Volcano eruption could be "hours away"

Massive increase in seismic activity at the Mount Agung volcano on Monday and Tuesday has Indonesian experts fearing a very large eruption within hours

https://www.theguard...ity-mount-agung

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Yellowstone supervolcano may blow sooner than thought

Scientists working in and around Yellowstone National Park say that the supervolcano sitting under the tourist attraction may blow sooner than thought, an eruption that could wipe out life on the planet.

According to National Geographic, the researchers, from Arizona State University, analyzed minerals in fossilized ash from the most recent mega-eruption and found changes in temperature and composition that had only taken a few decades. Until now, the magazine reported, geologists had thought it would take centuries for the supervolcano to make the transition.

The discovery, which was presented at a recent volcanology conference, comes on top of a 2011 study that found that ground above the magma reservoir in Yellowstone had bulged by about 10 inches in seven years.

"It's an extraordinary uplift, because it covers such a large area and the rates are so high," the University of Utah's Bob Smith, an expert in Yellowstone volcanism, told the magazine at the time.

https://www.usatoday...anet/757337001/

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationCanada

Yellowstone supervolcano may blow sooner than thought 

Friday the 13th never disappoints.

• Yuli Ban and BasilBerylium like this
If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. -Peter Ustinov

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

Magnitude 6.5 quake hits Costa Rica coast, shakes capital
Source: AP

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (AP) — A strong earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.5 shook Costa Rica on Sunday night, knocking items from shelves and sending people rushing outside in panic.

The country’s Public Safety Ministry said there were reports of two serious injuries as a result of the quake, but did not provide additional details.

Electricity was knocked out in some areas as power lines and poles fell, but there were no reports of major infrastructure damage from the tremor, which hit in a lightly populated area on the Pacific Coast. The government reported some rockslides obstructing highways near the epicenter.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake was centered about 10 miles (15 kilometers) southeast of the town of Jaco, which is about 60 (100 kilometers) miles southwest of the capital, San Jose. The quake was at a depth of about 12 miles (20 kilometers).

Read more: https://apnews.com/f...r&utm_medium=AP

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

Powerful earthquake strikes near Iraqi city of Halabja
Source: CNN

A magnitude 7.2 earthquake has hit near the Iraqi city of Halabja close to the Iraq-Iran border, according the US Geological Survey.
The temblor, centered about 350 kilometers (217 miles) north of Baghdad, was felt throughout Iraq, USGS said. The extent of any damage was not immediately available.

Iraq's Meteorological Organization issued a warning on Iraqi State TV urging citizens to stay away from buildings and to refrain from using elevators.

Developing story - more to come

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2...uake/index.html

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,064 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

==Deleted==

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

Iran-Iraq earthquake: death toll rises to 335

Rescuers battle to find survivors trapped under collapsed buildings after the 7.3 magnitude quake

Saeed Kamali Dehghan, Martin Farrer and agencies

Monday 13 November 2017 04.23 EST
First published on Sunday 12 November 2017 18.38 EST

A powerful magnitude-7.3 earthquake has rocked the northern border region between Iran and Iraq, killing more than 328 people in Iran and seven in Iraq and injuring thousands more.

Iran’s semi-official Isna news agency raised the death toll to 328 on Monday morning, after a quake struck the country’s western provinces at 9.20pm local time on Sunday. Local officials said the death toll would rise as search and rescue teams reached remote areas.

More than 70,000 people were in need of emergency shelter, the Iranian Red Crescent said.

https://www.theguard...q-border-region

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

https://www.theguard...q-border-region
<snip>
First published on Sunday 12 November 2017 23.38 GMT

A powerful magnitude-7.3 earthquake has rocked the northern border region between Iran and Iraq, killing more than 400 people and injuring thousands more.

Iran’s state-run Irna news agency has raised the death toll to 407 and said 6,700 people were injured after the quake that struck the country’s western provinces at 9.20pm local time on Sunday. Tremors were felt hundreds of miles away in both capitals, in Tehran and Baghdad.

Local officials said the toll was likely to rise as search and rescue teams reached remote areas. More than 70,000 people were in need of emergency shelter, the Iranian Red Crescent said.
Earthquake hits border of Iran and Iraq – in pictures
View gallery

The hardest hit province was Kermanshah, where three days of mourning have been announced. More than 236 people died in the town of Sarpol-e Zahab, about 10 miles from the Iraq border. In Kermanshah’s Dalahu county, the local governor was quoted as saying that some villages had been completely destroyed.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

Tehran, Iran (CNN) At least 452 people were killed and thousands injured after a powerful earthquake struck near the border of Iran and Iraq late Sunday.

The earthquake is the deadliest of the year, eclipsing the one that hit Mexico City in September, and was felt as far away as Turkey and Pakistan.

Around 100 of the dead are believed to be from one town in Iran's Kermanshah province, the country's semi-official Mehr news agency reported.

The quake was at a depth of 23 km (just over 14 miles), which is considered shallow, according to the survey. It was felt across the region with aftershocks hitting Pakistan, Lebanon, Kuwait and Turkey, news agencies in those countries reported.
(Map of affected area, and pictures at above link)

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2...uake/index.html

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Part of the story concerning earthquakes is not only why and where they happen, but also the follow-up recovery efforts.

U.S. Sanctions Hinder Relief Efforts for Iran’s Earthquake Survivors

https://nonprofitqua...uake-survivors/

Introduction:

With major faults covering some 90 percent of the country, Iran often experiences earthquakes. The 7.3 magnitude earthquake last Sunday on Iran’s border with Iraq was the deadliest in the world this year to date. At least 530 lives were lost, 7,460 people injured, 12,000 homes were destroyed, and 15,000 more were damaged. The Kermanshah province was the area hardest hit, but cities as far away as Tehran and Baghdad felt the tremors.

Around the world, the Iranian diaspora and many others also felt the shaking, and some of them were compelled to respond to the emergency. Kianoush Rostami, the Iranian Rio 2016 Olympic weightlifter, put his gold medal up for auction via Instagram to raise money for the victims.

Al Jazeera’s Ted Regencia shares stories about good intentions hitting frustrating barriers. Members of the Facebook group Persian Americans (65,827 followers) gave $80,000 within the first few hours of their Facebook-based appeal, and by Wednesday, the sum exceeded $200,000. Facebook initially informed the group’s leader that the funds would be held until the US Department of Treasury authorized disbursement. On Thursday, Facebook dismantled the group’s fundraising page, informing the leader “personal fundraisers are not eligible to receive funds for nonprofits.”

An Iranian-American journalist used the YouCaring crowdfunding site to raise support for the earthquake survivors. YouCaring removed her page after she raised $2,000 in the first 30 minutes “because the country you provided is part of an embargoed region.”

“The United States Treasury Department does not allow our platform to disburse funds directly to, or be routed by proxy to a state or person that is currently located in an embargoed region,” the letter read.

I know some conservatives might respond that it is the Iranian government that brought about this situation though conduct that prompted the sanctions.  Yet, it is the residents of such countries that must suffer form this governmental nonsense.  

Or does that sound too much like I am  being an anarchist?

kermanshah-quake.jpg

Tasnim News Agency

[CC BY 4.0], via Wikimedia Commons

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

A magnitude 7.0 earthquake has struck in the Pacific near the overseas French territory of New Caledonia, the US Geological Survey (USGS) reports. Tsunami waves have been observed after the quake, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) reports. The quake was centered 82 km (51 miles) east-northeast of Tadine, on Mare Island, which has a population of over 5,600. The epicenter was 10 km (6 miles) deep.

http://endtimeheadli...-new-caledonia/

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Thousands stranded as Bali volcano alert raised to highest level

https://www.msn.com/...ID=ansmsnnews11

Introduction:

(Reuters) DENPASAR, Indonesia- Indonesia raised its warning for Bali's Mount Agung volcano to the top level four alert on Monday, closed the holiday island's airport and told residents around the mountain to immediately evacuate, warning of an "imminent" risk of a larger eruption.

Bali's airport was closed for 24 hours from Monday morning, disrupting 445 flights and some 59,000 passengers, due to the eruption and the presence of volcanic ash from Agung, but local officials said the closure could be extended.

Video footage shared by the disaster agency showed cold lava flows (lahar) at a number of locations on the mountainside. Lahar carrying mud and large boulders can destroy houses, bridges and roads in its path.

"Plumes of smoke are occasionally accompanied by explosive eruptions and the sound of weak blasts that can be heard up to 12 km (7 miles) from the peak," the Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) said in a statement after raising the alert level from three to four.

"The potential for a larger eruption is imminent," it said, referring to the visible glow of magma at Agung's peak overnight.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

Catastrophic eruption of Mount Agung within hours

Will likely cool the entire planet for a time.

http://www.dailymail...blow-hours.html

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

^ Depends on how much material it puts into the atmosphere. If it's a VEI 5 like Mount Saint Helen's, then it'll be negligible at best. If it's a VEI 6 like Krakatoa or Pinatubo, there'll definitely be a bit of an effect. If it's a VEI 7 like Tambora, then we're talking "Year Without A Summer" levels of cooling. But I don't think it's capable of being a VEI 7. The caldera just isn't that large. Would be cool if it were though and no one were at risk, no pun intended.

If it's a VEI 5, it might be able to bring global temperatures down 0.1° C for a year or two. If it's a VEI 6, that would go up to 0.3° C; for a VEI 7, it'd be 0.5° to 1°. All of which is welcome, but those little increments make worlds of difference.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

A 5.1 magnitude earthquake shook the east coast of the U.S. on Thursday, the United States Geological Survey reported.

More on this: http://www.foxnews.c...-baltimore.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users