Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

We Need More Antimatter: Here’s How To Get It

antimatter space interstellar

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,236 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

There's this very cool blog I found on the nets.

We Need More Antimatter: Here’s How To Get It

Antimatter is the ultimate fuel for high-speed space propulsion. While we can in principle make do with nuclear rockets for interstellar colonization, antimatter is in a different league entirely. They would enable interstellar travel at speeds of up to 30 to 70% of light speed, three to eight times higher than any form of nuclear propulsion, even the Orion ship that I love talking about so much.

The problem, of course, is producing antimatter in sufficient quantities. We need tons—literal tons—of antimatter to power a starship of any appreciable size. That is somewhat more than current antimatter stockpiles, which are barely capable of powering a lightbulb. Although antimatter production is increasing exponentially, we need to do better. Much better.

This blog will examine some of the weird and wonderful ways we could get more antimatter. Because antimatter is awesome. And so are rockets. Therefore, antimatter+rockets must be even more awesome, right? Right? Okay...just so as not to scare everyone off with my mad ravings about strange and futuristic things, I'll begin with methods that are mostly just extensions on existing technology, not some absolute craziness.

• FrogCAT likes this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Astralator

Astralator

100 Billion Suns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationHamburg

A very enjoyable read, you shameless self promoter.

• Yuli Ban and Jakob like this

Playing God is actually the highest expression of human nature. The urges to improve ourselves, to master our environment, [...] have been the fundamental driving forces of all of human history. Without these urges to ‘play God’, the world as we know it wouldn’t exist today.” - Ramez Naam

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Yes, enjoyable, but it's not quite accurate, as there is a fuel even more potent than antimatter: black holes. Kugelblitzes, to be precise. I recall someone doing the math, and they said that the difference in power between an antimatter power source and a black hole power source is somewhere on the order of eight orders of magnitude. Antimatter fuel is used relatively quickly in one go and produces terawatts of power per second. A black hole can last for years and produces anywhere from exawatts to yottawatts of power per second. Not to mention that, if you managed to somehow play with its gravitational field, you might even break physics and produce a warp bubble that can help you get somewhere even faster, perhaps even slightly faster than light. You wouldn't go faster than light locally, but you'd zip along at ungodly speeds outside of your pocket of warped spacetime. 

Currently in the process of fact checking this, so give me a while to find the posts.

TLDR for the amount of energy you need to create enough usable antimatter, you could also create a black hole.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace

Yes, enjoyable, but it's not quite accurate, as there is a fuel even more potent than antimatter: black holes. Kugelblitzes, to be precise. I recall someone doing the math, and they said that the difference in power between an antimatter power source and a black hole power source is somewhere on the order of eight orders of magnitude. Antimatter fuel is used relatively quickly in one go and produces terawatts of power per second. A black hole can last for years and produces anywhere from exawatts to yottawatts of power per second. Not to mention that, if you managed to somehow play with its gravitational field, you might even break physics and produce a warp bubble that can help you get somewhere even faster, perhaps even slightly faster than light. You wouldn't go faster than light locally, but you'd zip along at ungodly speeds outside of your pocket of warped spacetime. 

Currently in the process of fact checking this, so give me a while to find the posts.

TLDR for the amount of energy you need to create enough usable antimatter, you could also create a black hole.

Well not really more potent. Just more energy dense per volume NOT MASS depending on the size of the blackhole. It is equviliant to anti-matter if we go by mass.

• Jakob likes this

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antimatter, space, interstellar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users