Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Aesthetically, has culture changed much since the 90s?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
Posted in this section as I believe we WON'T see any big changes to fashion, music and movies this century and it might be worth debating.

Firstly, I need to emphasise LATE 90s here for those picturing Will Smith's high top or a Liverpudlian in a florescent shell suit.

So I've been on a bit of a 90s nostalgia binge lately when it comes to moves, last couple of weeks I've found myself watching Fight Club, American Beauty, American Pie and the Big Lebowski.

Something hit me, these movies haven't really aged, especially in comparison to those from the 70s and 80s, obviously those decades are further away, but the way they stand out doesn't reflect the time scale.

Same with music, the likes of garage and dubstep have been and gone, but pop still sounds the same, Beyoncés songs sound he same as 90s Destiny's Child, and Lady Gaga may as well be Madonna. Foo Fighters still absolutely dominate scene and, in general, the genre hasn't progress too much from that grunge era.

Obviously technology has changed, the bulky TVs and phones really stand out, but other than jeans getting slimmer and beards getting longer, AESTHETICALLY, has much really changed?

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
I think the internet, which is incredibly pervasive in society compared to the 90s could actually be a cause of this freezing of pop culture.

New trends used to flourish in certain cities then slowly spread, but the internet and increasing globalisation has somehow homoginised world culture making it harder for culture to evolve.

70s
the-brady-bunch-tease-today-161125_2715d

80s
MV5BMjM1OTY3MDExM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODY3

90s
6362340176166035371737052555_Friends.jpg

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

Seems to me that we have become colder towards our follow man and far more backwards in mindset. Less liberal. :(

• Nerd likes this

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Seems to me that we have become colder towards our follow man and far more backwards in mindset. Less liberal. :(

I'm not debating that attitudes and politics have changed, but this thread is about pop culture.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,866 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

God Emperor Trump will make our culture so advanced and high-class that other countries will be unable to comprehend and will be like cavemen in comparison.

Spoiler

• eacao likes this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Oh is this about politics? Well yeah those people back in the 90's were decent human beans without these new trends where half the booty is hanging out of both men and women's attire. Sadly these degenerates have forgotten our christian values and have denigrated what it means to be american where white women marry white men and leaved minorities in the slums and hoods where they belong. 

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

Aspiring Immortal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

human beans

I love it when people make this typohuman-bean.png

"The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease" - Thomas Alva Edison   "Democracy for an insignificant minority, Democracy for the rich - that is the democracy of a capitalist society." - Vladimir Lenin   "We're all stories in the end, just make it a good one." - Steven Moffat  "Believing oneself to be perfect is often the sign of a delusional mind" - LCDR Data  "We know that the individual is weak, but we also know that society is a power." - Karl Marx  "Government is not the solution, to our problem, government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan  "Conduct yourself in this world as if you are here to stay forever, and yet prepare for eternity as if you are to die tomorrow" - Prophet Muhammad  "The best way to predict the future is to create it" - Abraham Lincoln  "To Infinity, and Beyond" - Buzz Lightyear

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

human beans

Could you be in a greater position of ignominy after your above post? After reading my post do you really think that was a typo? 

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

Aspiring Immortal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

human beans

Could you be in a greater position of ignominy after your above post? After reading my post do you really think that was a typo? 

I know that what you were saying was satire, including the typo, but this really cracks me up for some reason.  I have a childish sense of humor.

"The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease" - Thomas Alva Edison   "Democracy for an insignificant minority, Democracy for the rich - that is the democracy of a capitalist society." - Vladimir Lenin   "We're all stories in the end, just make it a good one." - Steven Moffat  "Believing oneself to be perfect is often the sign of a delusional mind" - LCDR Data  "We know that the individual is weak, but we also know that society is a power." - Karl Marx  "Government is not the solution, to our problem, government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan  "Conduct yourself in this world as if you are here to stay forever, and yet prepare for eternity as if you are to die tomorrow" - Prophet Muhammad  "The best way to predict the future is to create it" - Abraham Lincoln  "To Infinity, and Beyond" - Buzz Lightyear

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
Christ, what the hell happened to this forum.

6 replies all of which are off topic, I'm done here.
  • Yuli Ban and BasilBerylium like this

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Christ, what the hell happened to this forum.

6 replies all of which are off topic, I'm done here.

You're funny. If you think that something "happened to this forum" then you simply have not been here long enough to see the tangents people have gone off including myself. Especially myself.

• Yuli Ban and rennerpetey like this

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

on the contrary, i think the aesthetics of the post-internet age is a lot more quicker. noticed how it got from emo to gaga to lumberjack to kingsman real quick? then everybody predicted that the next wave would be cyberpunk. instead we got kpop.

• BasilBerylium likes this

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

on the contrary, i think the aesthetics of the post-internet age is a lot more quicker. noticed how it got from emo to gaga to lumberjack to kingsman real quick? then everybody predicted that the next wave would be cyberpunk. instead we got kpop.

Those are all extremely niche subcultures though.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts
  • LocationCanada

I know you aren't getting serious posts to this but I frankly feel this is too big of a topic to explore on this forum not that I have a particular interest in it. I think aesthetically the late 90s and early 2000s can be grouped into its own kind of era (I would typically date this to 97-02 with some hints of it in 95-96) followed by the peak 2000s era which I would say was (03-10) and then the current 2010s (10-current) aesthetics wise. The 80s I really think kind of covers the years (82-90) (91-95) kind of being this weird era where the 80s slowly formed into the 90s. With all that being said I typically can identify stuff by watching it into one of these eras. For the sake of my post I will focus on the first three eras I mentioned and will title them. As with all aesthetics my generalizations will be imperfect as there are exceptions to these trends which may have occurred at other times but there will be brief generalities.

First Aesthetic - Late 90's/Early 00's (1997-2002)

Maybe we can only tell with time but it is becoming increasingly easy to tell stuff from this period as compared to many of the others. This was truly peak mass commercialization and peak optimism from the 90s. Spiky hair and muscle shirts for guys with super tanned beach bods ruled the days for guys and every girl was trying to be a stick just like Britney spears. Any kind of technology from and production from this period looks laughably ancient. Hair is very identifiable very spiky for guys and often extremely straight and highlighted for girls. Lots of dreadlocks and pigtails in this time period too (god forbid).

Films often employing coloring techniques in their products to make productions often look really blue, red/orange, or less often green. I on occasion still get the feeling this is being done in productions but not as often as it was in this time period. Very unique sounds in this time period like disc jockey sounds heard in a lot of songs which I really don't hear in any music productions at all anymore. Eurobeat very widespread. Overall lots of really bubbly pop-music. However big garage band scene for grunge and other underground music scenes also hip-hop starting to take on the forms from the early 90s into the form it will evolve into by 2003-2010 period when it will become the big dominating music style of the period. Can safely say the end of this type of period was shortly after 9/11 when optimism of the 90s and new millennium faded into the more militaristic productions that would follow.

Some examples of the time period:

TV Productions:

I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)

Early CSI (Las Vegas version)

Austin Powers Films

Songs:

Britney Spears - Hit Me Baby One More Time

Backstreet Boys - Everybody

Roger Sanchez - Another Chance

The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

Outkast - Ms Jackson

Second Aesthetic - Peak 2000s (2003-2010)

I won't go into as much detail but basically this is when all the rap music productions and emo/punk scene was out. Basically everyone trying to wear their pants low. Lots of short hair styles and very orange colored as everyone needs to look touch and cool as we're at war and some shit. I'm too tired to explain this at the moment if I ever get around to it. Electronic music beginning to emerge around the end through fusions from hip-hop and rap bands. Punk and emo begins to fade near the end.

Third Aesthetic - The 2010s (2010-present)

Decade of lumbersexuals, dirty hipsters, vanilla chais, looking like a hobo, overproduced EDM super whispery voices, people who dress like they can't decide whether they are a boy or a girl. Colorful flat shoes, tight pants. You got the idea. Again everyone knows what this decade looks like and it is VERY different from anything in the 2000s or late 90s.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I mentioned this already.

And by the way:

BsDvkzeIMAAIWhr.jpg

4356e6f4b1a6502c23466f0081a8528c--duckfa

See how well it works?

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
Funny how the 1900s keep reappearing in fashion...

This hair style would've looked ridiculous in the 90s but very acceptable in the 40s

kev_thebarber1-undercut.jpg

azVE1qZ_700b.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users