Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The Ability to Retrieve Lost Memories

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Outlook

Outlook

Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWherever Alien Observer by Grouper could be played.
A while back I read this: http://www.human-mem...es_storage.html

I read it out of curiosity. It would come later to my mind, where late at night, out of nowhere, I remember a scene from a book I read 4 years ago, which honestly I thought I forgot. Nevertheless it started to unlock more memories of that book and the memorable imaginative aspects, which I always thought I forgot about.

According to the link, which explains human memory (although I'm not sure to what accuracy), it states that such forgotton things are a result from a neural pathway "derailing" so to speak, meaning that clusters of memory are still there but inaccessable to our mind unless by the off chance when the planets align.

It had me thinking, what are the possibilites of lost memory retrieval arriving in our life time, and how might it affect us.
  • eacao, Maximus, Whereas and 1 other like this
Everything is predefined.

Whereas

Whereas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

People with 'superior autobiographical memory' remember and can recall pretty much everything that they've experienced. But there is at least anecdotal evidence of people without that, who in a sufficiently deep hypnotic trance have experienced their *entire* life play out before their eyes in a few hours. Personally I'm assuming we all technically memorize pretty much everything, but most people can not recall most of what they've experienced.

Scents are well known to be able to help with unlocking memories involving them, because they're hooked up to our memory through a different pathway than the rest of the senses. We also know that some "lost" memories are easier to recall in a similar state of mind to that in which they were made (e.g. when drunk). And we do know for a fact that hypnosis allows a person to remember things they had forgotten (e.g. a license plate they saw or excerpts of books they'd read) - though that has to be done properly, and botched attempts can make people remember events that have not actually occurred.

Speaking of which, our memories are unnervingly unreliable in general. There are simple tricks that can make people memorize events incorrectly (that have been shown to also work on the people with superior autobiographical memory) - and we wrongly memorize quite a few things in our everyday lives in the same fashion. Then there are even more ways to make people *incorrectly recall* their memories: never mind hypnosis, when experimental subjects were given the descriptions of three specific events from their respective pasts, they typically recalled all three. Unbeknownst to them, one of the three events was made up, and hadn't actually occured. Finally, there's the annoying fact than whenever we recall a memory, we also re-memorize it, possibly incorrectly because we may have not recalled it correctly.

In the future I predict that lifelogging will become mainstream. Nowadays you can only carry around a wearable camera that makes one image per second for purposes of your eventual review, but once we get to have brain implants, everyone is going to have not just the equivalent to, but a more reliable version of superior autobiographical memory (assuming no hacking shenanigans). We can see how even today's lifelogs are going to become more useful, since an AI could be used to search through the images for something (anything) from your past that you want to remember. Some lifeloggers posit that future generations are going to have a huge leg up on (us?) older generations in that they'll be able to retain all of their memories/complete personal histories, while we'll have already lost a lot of our own pasts to oblivion. But I'm assuming that much of our pasts are actually still locked away somewhere in our heads, and that a sizeable portion of that information could yet be salvaged with the help of a proper implant.

• Outlook and Infinite like this

If you're wrong, how would you know it?

techchic22

techchic22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationDublin

Nice topic, I'm always passionate about memory and people's ability to memorize things. I stand for opinion that our mind can remember pretty much everything if we already lived it once. We just couldn't recall it immediately.

Imagine our brain is organized and divided into many draws. The unimportant things or things happen once in lifetime we put it in a small draw, leave it untouched. The significant things or habits/routine we will put it in big draw, let it in first place so we can always take memories from that.

Take myself as an example, I travel back home quite a lot during school term with my suitcase. But I can never remember exactly what the password of my suitcase is, because it's not important for my daily life. It takes me awhile to wait for that kind of "draw" come to the front of my brain then I can take it out and use it. Make sense?

'The statement below is true.
The statement above is false'

:girlcrazy: :girlcrazy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users