Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Future Computing Materials

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

chalcidfly

chalcidfly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey guys,

This is my first time on the forum. I've been looking for a place to share some of my ideas about what the future of computers could look like. I just wrote a blog post this morning about it: https://lincoln-b.co...ting-materials/

I'd love to hear some feedback!

Thanks,

chalcidfly

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

What's the point of making functionally identical knockoffs from "old-fashioned materials"? There's no difference between a smart notebook made of leaves of e-paper and a smart notebook (somehow, magically) made of wood pulp. Surely you're aware that digital pens are a thing if you really hate touch screens that much?

Since this isn't asking about materials so much as "what it looks like", I'll share my ideas (for the mid-late 21st century, the basic keyboard and monitor layout likely won't change much until then). So I'm picturing something like a hyper-thin (millimeter scale) sheet that's flexible enough to be rolled up and stashed away when not in use, rather like a scroll. It'll likely use biometric locks instead of passwords, which is more secure for everyone involved--you can't forget your fingerprint and someone else can't guess it. When you turn it on, it generates a holographic field like this. Instead of a two-dimensional desktop, you're now looking at a three-dimensional desktop. There will be advanced gesture control, so opening a file is just reaching in and touching it. You could also drag things on the screen around and shift their orientation. We probably wouldn't call it a "screen" anymore, but something more three-dimensional, perhaps a "field". Verbal control would also be an option. Any personal assistants would be at least on par with DeepMind, or slightly better. Nothing too fancy, it's supposed to be an assistant, not a cutting-edge research ai. Due to their portability, it would be easy to store lots of machines with different configurations and hardware--I could likely fit half a dozen in my drawer.

bbc-hologram.png

Source: BusinessInsider

Might expand upon this in my blog.

• Nerd and rennerpetey like this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

chalcidfly

chalcidfly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

That's an interesting idea! Is that picture actually how you envision it or was that just the closest thing you could find?

You are probably correct in saying that the basic keyboard-monitor layout will stay the same for a long time. What are your thoughts on mixed reality headsets, like Microsoft's HoloLens and the billion-dollar investments in Magic Leap?

What's the point of making functionally identical knockoffs from "old-fashioned materials"?

You're right, it's not about the materials themselves as much as the fact that they are recognizable and ordinary. My obsession the last few weeks has been in things like Dynamic Land that imbue regular objects with meaningful computing power. In Dynamic Land, things like paper and desks are brought to life by projectors in the ceiling and cameras that detect objects. My blog post was me following that same line of thought but putting the "computer power" into the objects themselves in the first place. I just don't think it's a good idea to give up on ordinary materials yet -- paper's been around for so long, and we applied so little of what's great about it into the world of monitors and touch screens.

What's your blog? Sounds interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users