Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Accidental Nuclear Wars: A Timeline of Close Calls

History Timlines Accidental Nuclear War Cold War Military History

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

ACCIDENTAL NUCLEAR WAR: A Timeline of Close Calls

https://futureoflife...lls-a-timeline/

Introduction:

The most devastating military threat arguably comes from a nuclear war started not intentionally but by accident or miscalculation. Accidental nuclear war has almost happened many times already, and with 15,000 nuclear weapons worldwide — thousands on hair-trigger alert and ready to launch at a moment’s notice — an accident is bound to occur eventually.

The list of close calls above is too long for comfort, yet it’s likely very incomplete, given that these represent only America’s declassified events. Many other events may have occurred in the U.S. that we don’t know about, and we certainly don’t know about close calls the other eight nuclear countries have had. Many nuclear experts are concerned about a war between India and Pakistan, and if one of them were to accidentally start a nuclear war, the resulting nuclear winter could kill 1 billion people worldwide.

Moreover, there are signs of the Cold War restarting. The U.S. and Russia are both upgrading their arsenals, which means new weapons and new ways for something in the system to go wrong. The risk of accidental nuclear war is only growing, and barring major initiatives for risk reduction, it’s merely a matter of time until our luck runs out.

Most of the reports in the timeline above come from the Union of Concerned Scientists, the Nuclear Files, Eric Schlosser’s book, Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Incident, and the Illusion of Safetyor Mother Jones. They are either paraphrased or directly quoted, and each links to the original source.

See liked article for actual timeline.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Here is an article with the same idea, but with the timeline in a different format.  I actually prefer the Mother Jones format for the sake of clarity.

That Time We Almost Nuked North Carolina

http://www.motherjon...ps-near-misses/

Introduction:

(Mother Jones) Thanks to a steep learning curve in the design and handling of nuclear weapons, a continuing emphasis on readiness before safety, and a history of mismanagement, the United States military has had a frightening number of near-misses. (Click on the box below for our companion story about the disgruntled young men who babysit our land-based missiles.) Here’s an abridged timeline  (see article linked above) of scandals and close calls gleaned from media reports, military sources, and from Eric Schlosser’s must-read book, Command and Control, which chronicles in terrifying detail just how close we’ve come to the abyss.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Astralator

Astralator

100 Billion Suns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Reading this I do have to wonder, how the hell is human civilization still a thing?

Playing God is actually the highest expression of human nature. The urges to improve ourselves, to master our environment, [...] have been the fundamental driving forces of all of human history. Without these urges to ‘play God’, the world as we know it wouldn’t exist today.” - Ramez Naam

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,129 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Give it time.

• Zaphod likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Give it time.

Human extinction New dark age or AI overlords?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,129 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Possibly both! We shouldn't discount the possibility that World War III, rather than being the end of life on this planet, could instead be to modern neoliberal/oligarchical capitalism and liberal democracy what World War I was to nobility, aristocracy, and feudalism. In the wake of the latter, we got the former. And in the wake of the former, we get AI overlords.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

CoolGuy23

CoolGuy23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Curtis LeMay is one of my heroes lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: History Timlines, Accidental Nuclear War, Cold War, Military History

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users