Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Future of the environment

Nature Environment Future Cynical Optimistic

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: The state of the earth for the next 1000 years (4 member(s) have cast votes)

What would happen to the earth

1. Become a barren wasteland (2 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. Humans leave which would result in a untamed earth (3 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. Humans die off and nature continues on (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Humans live in scheduled areas in the future after reduction of the population (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Ewolf20

Ewolf20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationColumbia,sc

For the next 1000 years, what would come about if:

• We ended up reducing climate change
  • Or not stoping climate change

Honestly, it's going to become Venus. No ifs, no buts, it's our destiny to die off. But I'm just being positive 92 and blunt. If we end up putting any one responsible for all this corruption and greed on the electric chair, I'd be happy.

Ewolf20

Ewolf20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationColumbia,sc

Thst's if we ended up inventing space travel to colonize the moon.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

None of the above. Only a small minority of people will voluntarily leave their home for a far-off and dangerous place. Tens of billions will stay on Earth, with billions more in orbital habitats, while their brothers and sisters in the stars develop the galaxy and push the frontier, numbering in the trillions and more.

Earth will be what those who stay behind want it to be. Hall Weather Machines will give us fine-grained control of the weather and climate. Synthbio and genetic engineering will let us create entire biomes at will, even with extinct species and completely new species--it's a given that someone is going to splice rhino genes into a horse and create a unicorn!

• rennerpetey likes this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Ewolf20

Ewolf20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationColumbia,sc
Anyone else?

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

Oh this was for the next 1000 years, my bad. In that case I agree with Jakob, but in the far future Earth will be the next Trantor. Although I don't see a eucamonopolis forming on Earth, there would be too much resistance to marring that planet like that.

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

Oh this was for the next 1000 years, my bad. In that case I agree with Jakob, but in the far future Earth will be the next Trantor. Although I don't see a eucamonopolis forming on Earth, there would be too much resistance to marring that planet like that.

If it's not an ecumenopolois, how would it be like Trantor?

• Erowind likes this

Spoiler

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

If it's not an ecumenopolois, how would it be like Trantor?

In that Earth would largely become abandoned as future human civilizations forget about it and the one on earth eventually collapses. Not saying that human civilization as a whole will ever collapse--I think we'll last until heat death takes us--but I'd be extremely surprised if there were still people on earth in a couple hundred million years.

• Jakob likes this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,628 posts

We'll probably destroy it all and have to find a new planet.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

We'll probably destroy it all and have to find a new planet.

What, like with orbital bombardment?

Spoiler

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

To infinity, and beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

in the next 100 to 200 years, as long as we don't kill our selves or have some kind of setback, we will be able to completely reverse climate change and actually bring back extinct species.  I believe that some people overestimate climate change's affect on us.  Not that it isn't horrible, but the Earth will have to throw a lot at us to actually set us back.

• Jakob and Ewolf20 like this

Pope Francis said that atheists are still eligible to go to heaven, to return the favor, atheists said that popes are still eligible to go into a void of nothingness.

MrDusk

MrDusk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVariable

Hard to predict a thousand years ahead but it certainly wont be anything like option 1 unless we experience some kind of nuclear holocaust where the survivors are just sterile twits.

Humans are very attached to where they set down roots. So I don't see humanity abandoning earth. Option 2 wouldnt happen unless the fate of humanities existance depended on it, and even then there would be some who would stay until the bitter end.

Humans might be idiots, but we arent stupid enough to just go and dye off like that. Or am I placing too much faith in humanity??? Probably too much faith. Alright I'll grant you that one as a valid option

And we don't need to reduce the population at all. Purely because we literally have everything we need on earth to support not trillions, but quadrillions of us. The only time that we won't be able to sustain that many is if we breed to the point that the very heat our bodies and machines will incinerate us. And even then we'd probably just install climate controll systems. What people sometimes dont realise is that we can build down as well as up, and keep doing so for a very very long time with the aid of technology. So option 4 is a bust as well.

Populations will grow and our habitats will verticalize with it. There is no need for population reduction.

• Jakob likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

breed to the point that the very heat our bodies and machines will incinerate us

Agree with absolutely everything you wrote, but to nitpick: this happens at 10 trillion people on a planet like Earth (Isaac Arthur did the math in his ecumenopolis video). We could go higher with some sort of radiators to transmit waste heat into space, but probably not to quadrillions. The broader Solar System, however, could certainly support quadrillions, and that's before Type II stuff comes into the picture.

Spoiler

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Hard to predict a thousand years ahead but it certainly wont be anything like option 1 unless we experience some kind of nuclear holocaust where the survivors are just sterile twits.

Humans are very attached to where they set down roots. So I don't see humanity abandoning earth. Option 2 wouldnt happen unless the fate of humanities existance depended on it, and even then there would be some who would stay until the bitter end.

Humans might be idiots, but we arent stupid enough to just go and dye off like that. Or am I placing too much faith in humanity??? Probably too much faith. Alright I'll grant you that one as a valid option

And we don't need to reduce the population at all. Purely because we literally have everything we need on earth to support not trillions, but quadrillions of us. The only time that we won't be able to sustain that many is if we breed to the point that the very heat our bodies and machines will incinerate us. And even then we'd probably just install climate controll systems. What people sometimes dont realise is that we can build down as well as up, and keep doing so for a very very long time with the aid of technology. So option 4 is a bust as well.

Populations will grow and our habitats will verticalize with it. There is no need for population reduction.

Here's the thing. 

If I become a rich man, rich enough to have my way, I won't allow quadrillions of people to infest Earth. I'll force many to move off world if I must. And I'm sure many others feel this way. In fact, I know many people feel this way.

That's what you're not understanding. Just because we can doesn't mean we should, and even if we could that doesn't mean we will.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

Here's the thing. 

If I become a rich man, rich enough to have my way, I won't allow quadrillions of people to infest Earth. I'll force many to move off world if I must. And I'm sure many others feel this way. In fact, I know many people feel this way.

That's what you're not understanding. Just because we can doesn't mean we should, and even if we could that doesn't mean we will.

No private entity, nor any government except in dire circumstances, has the authority to force people off their private property under threat of violence. If you try you will be arrested and I will be glad to see you end up prison.

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

Maybe if you hate people that much, YOU should leave, and take all the Malthusians with you. We don't want those kinds of people here.

Spoiler

Ewolf20

Ewolf20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationColumbia,sc

Here's the thing. 

so if we take the , leave the earth option, can we visit it for the sake of tourism? what would happens to the animals and indigenous people that live there? would they end up changing in some ways? like, if we had the means to finally teraform the moon and stay there for many years then come back to explore the earth, would the humans that were left behind call them, moon people? 

like, this would make for an aweosme sci fi story. thanks thread.

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

To infinity, and beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

I think that Earth would remain a very populated planet, but will be unharmed.  also, I don't like your options on the poll.

Pope Francis said that atheists are still eligible to go to heaven, to return the favor, atheists said that popes are still eligible to go into a void of nothingness.

MrDusk

MrDusk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVariable

Agree with absolutely everything you wrote, but to nitpick: this happens at 10 trillion people on a planet like Earth (Isaac Arthur did the math in his ecumenopolis video). We could go higher with some sort of radiators to transmit waste heat into space, but probably not to quadrillions. The broader Solar System, however, could certainly support quadrillions, and that's before Type II stuff comes into the picture.

Ah, my mistake, it's been a while since I've seen that video. But yeah we don't need to stop making little imps and monkeys anytime soon. Btw are you planning on redoing your timeline in future fiction anytime soon? Used to love reading those with my old account.

Here's the thing. 

Good luck moving Americans XP .  And it wont be a huge problem for an ecumenopolis. If need be we can just build further up and down. I've come to become a firm believer in that we can build infrastructure to get ourselves out of any resource problem or such and such.  But yeah, I can definitely see rich asses wanting the planet for themselves when it belongs to all of mankind. Alright add being forced out as one of the potential reasons option 2 could be a thing. Human stupidity and greed. Mind the uproar and kickback but.

so if we take the , leave the earth option, can we visit it for the sake of tourism? what would happens to the animals and indigenous people that live there? would they end up changing in some ways? like, if we had the means to finally teraform the moon and stay there for many years then come back to explore the earth, would the humans that were left behind call them, moon people? 

like, this would make for an aweosme sci fi story. thanks thread.

Nature reserves or gene banks for animals, probably gene banks considering what it would take for us to abandon earth.

Of course the indigenous peoples will have to change. Look how much everyone and everything has changed from year 0 - 12017 HEC (nearly 12018 now .... wow time flies) Groups might get their own reserves to practice out their way of life. Or someone might have the bright idea of saving space and placing them all in FIVR to live out their lives however they please without taking up as much valuable land space. The idea is a little morally bankrupt but we're talking the future here, and the future is anything but not inherently fucked regardless of the systems put in place or how it all works societally and technologically.

If we went to the moon to live or something I can guaruntee you we wouldn't be able to terraform it without a LOT of work. We're talking multigenerational and that is WITH a Sol scale trade network carting gas all over the place. Theres the issue of a magnetosphere and getting all the right gasses in place. Rotating the moon so you'd have an ok day and night cycle, keeping the atmosphere in place, and I havent even gone into what low gravity does to bone density and bodily organs over time. No you'd have people living in old lava tubes or highly protected and pretty fucking huge geodesic domes if our tech gets to the point where it can survive and be maintained in such conditions (probably is already but theres just something about huge lasers or missiles shooting asteroids out of the way that screams "if it fails we're screwed"). And will even enough people get there under those circumstances if at all to provide a stable gene pool where you dont have too many people engaging in incest to keep the population growing? and how will babies and little children be made to exercise so they dont lose all their bones?

I'd recommend some kind of habitat in space where you can maintain earthlike gravity with centrific force (or is it centrifugal? I always get those two mixed up) at least then people can live similarly to how they do on earth now without too much worry.

• Jakob likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

Ah, my mistake, it's been a while since I've seen that video. But yeah we don't need to stop making little imps and monkeys anytime soon. Btw are you planning on redoing your timeline in future fiction anytime soon? Used to love reading those with my old account.

Oh man, you're gonna love my new thread: http://www.futuretim...e-jakobs-canon/

Spoiler

Ewolf20

Ewolf20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationColumbia,sc

anyone else as well?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nature, Environment, Future, Cynical, Optimistic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users