Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Launch Loops and Orbital Rings : A feasable alternative to space elevators

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

MrDusk

MrDusk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVariable

Thought I'd place this here as I just discovered the guy a while back and I love a lot of the topics he covers. Here he walks about a 'space escalator' type device called a Lofstrom Loop which is held up using active support structures. Which could get launch vehicles to higher altitudes so they don't waste fuel. And with a little planning and research we could build this without having to deal with carbon nanotubes.

But that isnt a solution we need to stick to, no a Lofstrom Loop could be the precurser to an orbital ring. A ring of wire or metal balls in a tube propelled in a circular motion to cancel out earths gravity with forward velocity by electromagnets that both propell the ring forward and repel themselves away from it, remaining stationary and giving a platform for positioning orbital stations or launch platforms, from there tethers could reach down to major cities providing a way up for regular people into space onto the stationary electromagnetic platforms.

Issac talks about it more here.

I'm posting this here because I think that we've been caught up in space elevator hype for too long that we arent looking at the alternatives, or how infinitely more awesome they are and sound. Also because I've been dying to discuss it with people XP

-MrDusk

• leoking2000 likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

Everyone watches Isaac Arthur.

• leoking2000 likes this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

That is pretty bad ass. I wish we were doing stuff like this instead of having a massive military budget.

MrDusk

MrDusk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVariable

Everyone watches Isaac Arthur.

. . . right. sooooo lets discuss the concepts anyway???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users