Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The Crucible

science fiction education mindtech

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

When you take Yuli's idea of studentries to its logical extreme, you get the Crucible. The ultimate place of enhancement, hammering out the greatest possible minds inside its simulated fires.

A billion sophonts go into the Crucible. Their bodies are forsaken, their minds uploaded into a colossal data center--perhaps an asteroid, converted entirely to computronium. They will not rest again. Every second, their minds are subjected to another battle simulation. After a thousand battles, performance metrics are calculated. The half-billion who perform the best are kept, the rest are discarded. A half-billion more sophont minds are made to replace them, made by mixing and matching pieces of the other half billion.

The games begin again. And again. And again. Millions upon millions of generations go by in the sims. And finally, diminishing returns are reached. All minds but the top thousands are deleted, and the remainder are copied a millionfold and birthed into the world once more.

They have all been honed to a razor-sharp point. They are the best that their toposophic level can allow. They may look human in their new flesh bodies, but they barely act the part, for the Crucible has molded them into something else. Minds optimized for battle by the power of a genetic algorithm.

• Yuli Ban likes this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts
There is the distinct possibility that the environment you imagine as strengthening to one's ability to learn in fact may be detrimental. What I have noticed about the best minds is that they are quiet and that they are creative. One element necessary for creativity is rest not a combative atmosphere. Just a thing to ponder

MrDusk

MrDusk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVariable

wouldnt it be more ethical to reject the failures instead of destroy them? Idk about you but killing 500 million people because they werent good enough just seems shitty to me.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

wouldnt it be more ethical to reject the failures instead of destroy them? Idk about you but killing 500 million people because they werent good enough just seems shitty to me.

Ethics are of little concern here. And it would lower the stakes, thus diminishing the performance of those inside.

There is the distinct possibility that the environment you imagine as strengthening to one's ability to learn in fact may be detrimental. What I have noticed about the best minds is that they are quiet and that they are creative. One element necessary for creativity is rest not a combative atmosphere. Just a thing to ponder

This version of the Crucible is designed for militaristic purposes. A civilian variant would not be based around war games.

• Yuli Ban likes this

Spoiler

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,174 posts

@ Jakob,

You know, as much as I often disagree with you, you do have a vivid imagination.

• Yuli Ban and Jakob like this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

@ Jakob,

You know, as much as I often disagree with you, you do have a vivid imagination.

Thank you.

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: science fiction, education, mindtech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users