Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

What's sup, everyone?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

bbanks1995

bbanks1995

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I'm a fan of this website because I always fantasize about the future and technology, but I'm mainly interested in Full-Immersive Virtual Reality. In my opinion, FIVR would be the greatest invention in human history because you could have God-like abilities without any limits. I created an account because I hope to join discussions on that topic, and others. See you guys around.
  • wjfox, Yuli Ban, Frizz and 2 others like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon

Welcome! :)

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I'm a fan of this website because I always fantasize about the future and technology, but I'm mainly interested in Full-Immersive Virtual Reality. In my opinion, FIVR would be the greatest invention in human history because you could have God-like abilities without any limits. I created an account because I hope to join discussions on that topic, and others. See you guys around.

When did you discover the timeline?

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,228 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

*pretend to have godlike abilities*

You can fuck around with a computer game all you want, it still won't make you a god anymore than writing stories where I create and modify characters on a whim makes me a god.

Welcome anyway.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

bbanks1995

bbanks1995

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois

When did you discover the timeline?

A long time ago. I've been lurking around for years.

bbanks1995

bbanks1995

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois

*pretend to have godlike abilities*

You can fuck around with a computer game all you want, it still won't make you a god anymore than writing stories where I create and modify characters on a whim makes me a god.

Welcome anyway.

I guess, but at least it'll feel 100% real. That doesn't really compare to writing stories on paper.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
True FIVR is a long ways away; but there is a version that is a lot closer:

It might be the case that stimulating certain neural populations in the brain can be used to guide dreams. For example, if we record the brain as someone looks at pictures of dogs, and also when they think about dogs, we can discern certain patterns of neural activity related to the concept of “dog”. When these patterns are played back while you dream, using brain probes, you will see dogs in your dream. Maybe it will even be possible to specify the type of dog, and it’s size, color, and other attributes.

Evidence seems to suggest that the brain represents meaning roughly “additively”, in that a phrase like “dog looking out the window” is a combination of the activity representing “dog”, “window”, and “looking”. Upon learning this basic mental grammar, dreams can maybe be guided along very specific, complex storylines. It wouldn’t surprise me if this were already possible, and someone is researching it, in fact.

You probably wouldn’t need to get the neural code exactly right. The brain is creative and good at filling in gaps, and seeks coherence and harmony. You probably would just need to get in the ballpark, and the brain would do its best to find the closest reality to the signal that makes sense.

This kind of FIVR would have the advantage of not needing a supercomputer to render the world. The brain would do the rendering; and if you’ve had particularly vivid and memorable dreams, you know it can do an amazingly good job!

But who wants to do this while asleep? Can’t it be made to work while conscious?

Sure. There are such things as lucid dreams. It wouldn’t surprise me if they were easy to induce, either chemically, or through brain stimulation. Just lie back, relax, and in minutes you are lucid-dreaming a world that fits a script exactly.
  • Yuli Ban and Erowind like this

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Hi

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

I have to admit that I am not much of a fan about FIVR.  Still, that could very well be because I have not fully thought out its potential.  So welcome to our forum and I am looking forward to reading your contributions. 

It is also always nice for somebody who lurks "around for years" to come forward and express their interests.  It helps me to better understand the forum's audience and what sorts of news articles might attract their attention. 

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,731 posts

Welcome to the board...

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip