Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

What's going on with Oumuamua???

interstellar space astronomy aliens

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,236 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

I don't wanna sound like a tinfoil hat guy, but something interesting is going on here. Have you seen the renderings of Oumuamua:

Eso1737a.jpg

It's not just the shape either. It's not behaving like a comet. There's no evidence of dust, no comet tail, no anything.

Seen on Reddit:

Astronomer here! I will never say this lightly, but we are, swear to God, actually discussing with some seriousness right now what are the odds that this was actually a spaceship. Which I 100% assure you has never happened before in my memory with seriousness. Basically, the dimensions of this thing being so much longer than it is tall, combined with the no dust part, are both highly irregular details. Not so irregular there's no natural way to explain them, but irregular enough that this is definitely not your normal space rock. And unfortunately we are not really going to get any more new data on this space rock, so I guess we'll be speculating about this for the rest of my professional career.

The issue though is it is tumbling, and no thermal emission was detected. But there's no way that doesn't mean it's the dead hull of an alien spacecraft from millions of years ago, my one colleague is arguing, and I'm arguing that if you had computer intelligence type beings perhaps they'd go to stasis for the millions of years the journey takes to wherever they were going (and in my scenario, they were just using us as a tidal slingshot sorta like how we slingshot by planets to save on spacecraft fuel). Soooo cool! :) But I'm sad if it was aliens that the aliens didn't want to hang out. :( (To be clear, it was most likely a space rock. But right now I believe we can't say for sure if it wasn't a space rock based on data.) Edit: Here is the paper (behind paywall) for those interested. Also, apparently there is some potential Hubble and Spitzer telescope data in the works, so we may get a few more details about 'Oumuamua in coming months!

/u/Andromeda321

As a person that works with space rocks for a living (my company owns 5% of all the known Martian Meteorites on Earth for example). I can tell you that I never seen a space rock that looks like that. It should have "barbelled" or split in two rotating like that. Not a 10x1x1 pipe with no dust. I don't know what it is. But as I said, I have worked with thousands of space rocks. This one is not normal. It could be a stone that entered an atmosphere and melted and reformed . But their are big problems with that as well. A "space ship" is as good as any answer right now.

androidbitcoin

• Yuli Ban and Alislaws like this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,236 posts

Now I admit it's really unlikely, especially because it's moving so slowly. If it were something like 1000 kilometers per second, I'd say definitely aliens, but 26 km/s is just too slow for a starship. Although I suppose it could be a stealthy probe and part of its disguise is slowing down to pretend to be an asteroid. Or it could be an interplanetary ship that for some reason wandered off from its home star system.

If it is a ship, it's almost certainly dead/broken/abandoned, but it might be something yuge.

Spoiler

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

I think its a hunk of metal splintered from an asteroid collision. Anyway, epic event. We need to have a space mission ready for the next one.

C2017U1.gif

• Jakob likes this

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • LocationCanada

HaloCE-PelicanDropship.png

My first thought when I saw this on the news. But yeah, it's probably just some cool looking asteroid fragment.

• Jakob likes this
If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. -Peter Ustinov

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

My first thought when I saw this on the news. But yeah, it's probably just some cool looking asteroid fragment.

That portal from the ark must have thrown some things through time.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,236 posts

Everyone's comparing it to the ship from Rendezvous with Rama. Cool story, by the way, would recommend.

Spoiler

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
I guess it formed as a vein in the crust of a destroyed planet?

At least no one gone the 'captains log' joke yet.
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,236 posts

Even if it is just space trash cast aside by some long-gone civilization, it would still be a great find. And it would disprove the rare earth hypothesis.

Spoiler

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts
They say it's extrasolar and may have life on it.

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • LocationCanada

Source?

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. -Peter Ustinov

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • 2,443 posts

Source?

It is thought to be an extremely dark object, absorbing 96% of the light that falls on its surface, and it is red. This colour is the hallmark of organic (carbon-based) molecules. Organic molecules are the building blocks of the biological molecules that allow life to function.

It is widely thought that the delivery of organic molecules to the early Earth by the collision of comets and asteroids made life here possible. ’Oumuamua shows that the same could be possible in other solar systems.

Https://www.theguardian.com/science/across-the-universe/2017/nov/20/interstellar-object-confirmed-to-be-from-another-solar-system

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

Thats a stretch, calling something an organic molecule does not make it life. There are organic compounds all over the place.

Outlook

Outlook

Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationWherever Alien Observer by Grouper could be played.
Technically, Titan is covered in organic molecules.
Everything is predefined.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

If it is a ship, it's almost certainly dead/broken/abandoned, but it might be something yuge.

Actually, this would be the best possible scenario. Even dead and broken spaceship would tell us a lot about its creators, their technology and society. While the active spaceship full of aliens would pose the greatest threat we (humanity) ever faced.

• Maximus, Jakob and BasilBerylium like this

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,236 posts

Actually, this would be the best possible scenario. Even dead and broken spaceship would tell us a lot about its creators, their technology and society. While the active spaceship full of aliens would pose the greatest threat we (humanity) ever faced.

Absolutely.

Spoiler

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • LocationCanada

Oumuamua: Race to examine Earth’s first interstellar visitor

IT’S unlike anything we’ve ever seen before. Now a group of astronomers are chasing after this mysterious, cigar-shaped asteroid.

SPACE RACE?

Oumuamua may be moving fast. But that’s not deterring a group of astronomers who want to seize this opportunity to study something that has originated far beyond our solar system.
They’ve launched an ambitious project — dubbed Lyra — to quickly build a probe and strap it to a fast rocket.
They want to send it chasing after Oumuamua before the interstellar wanderer drifts beyond our reach.
But the interstellar asteroid was already moving at 95,000 kilometres per hour when it was discovered approached our Sun. It’s since accelerated to 138,000km/h due to the ‘slingshot’ effect generated by the Sun’s gravity as it sped past.
It’s likely to pass the orbit of Jupiter in May next year.
This means any mission would have to be assembled fast. And the technical effort involved in placing a probe in orbit around the object would be much more difficult than the 2015-16 visit by Rosetta to Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.
And the probe itself would have to move faster than any other human-made object to catch up. Voyager 1, now itself on the edge of our solar system on a course into deep space, currently holds that honour at 61,300km/h.
But some believe we have the technology capable of propelling a probe fast enough to catch Oumuamua.

Meh, doesn't seem very official. Seems like a MarsOne sort of thing.

Edit: This article provides more detail about how the intercept would work: https://phys.org/new...r-asteroid.html

• Jakob likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,236 posts
Alien Probe or Galactic Driftwood? SETI Tunes In to 'Oumuamua

Ever since its discovery in mid-October as it passed by Earth already outbound from our solar system, the mysterious object dubbed ‘Oumuamua (Hawaiian for “first messenger”) has left scientists utterly perplexed. Zooming down almost perpendicularly inside Mercury’s orbit at tens of thousands of kilometers per hour—too fast for our star’s gravity to catch—‘Oumuamua appeared to have been dropped in on our solar system from some great interstellar height, picking up even more speed on a slingshot-like loop around the sun before soaring away for parts unknown. It is now already halfway to Jupiter, too far for a rendezvous mission and rapidly fading from the view of Earth’s most powerful telescopes.

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: interstellar, space, astronomy, aliens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users