Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Stone-Age Migration Likely Brought Plague to Europe

Stone-age migration plague Yersinia pestis genetic evidence archaelogy pre-historic Europe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

https://www.courthou...ague-to-europe/

Introduction:

(Courthouse News) – New genetic evidence suggests nomads migrating into Europe during the Stone Age might have been trying to escape the plague, but instead brought it with them.

These findings stem from an analysis of the plague-causing bacterium Yersinia pestis by scientists at the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History in Germany.

After screening more than 500 ancient skeletal samples, the team was able to recover the full genomes of the plague bacteria from six individuals.

The team’s analysis of these samples, published Wednesday in the journal Current Biology, reveals the plague entered Europe about 4,800 years ago and coincides with a large-scale migration of people from the Caspian-Pontic Steppe – in present-day Ukraine and Russia – into Europe.

The Y. pestis genomes, which were found in different parts of Europe, are fairly closely related, according to the team.

Plague-Skeleton.jpg?resize=196%2C300

A male individual (6Post) from the Haunstetten Postillionstraße site, with a dagger, flint arrow heads, bracelet and bone pin. (Stadtarchäologie Augsburg)

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts
Man this makes me think of Age of Empires wandering around on a nomad map trying to decide where to plunk down my town center
  • Frizz and BasilBerylium like this

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationArgentina

So the Black Death evolved from this?

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationRussia

New genetic evidence suggests nomads migrating into Europe during the Stone Age might have been trying to escape the plague, but instead brought it with them.

Among other things this also means that Jared Diamond was wrong when he told (in his book "Guns germs and Steel") that mass epidemics coming from domestication and livestock.

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • 2,335 posts
  • LocationPlato's Atlantis

Man this makes me think of Age of Empires wandering around on a nomad map trying to decide where to plunk down my town center

So off topic but can't wait to get my geek on when they release AoE4!
  • eacao and Unity like this
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users