Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Bias drive

space propulsion metric engineering clarketech

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

I learned about the bias drive a few weeks ago. Actually I first saw the term in Hannu Rajaniemi's Invisible Planets, but I thought it was just something he made up until very recently. No. Turns out it's for real. David Darling has this to say:

"The bias drive would alter the properties of space itself. It could reduce normal gravity on one side to produce thrust. Imagine a boat made from a block of wood with one pointed end and the other indented. The block is floating on water, and you drop detergent on it. Because the soap changes the surface tension of the water, the boat is pushed along."

Interestingly, the soap and boat metaphor appears in Liu Cixin's Death's End but there it's describing a different space drive, a sort of STL Alcubierre drive (I think).

Anyway, given that this drive works by manipulating gravity, are there other uses? Perhaps generating artificial gravity without spinning, antigravity tech, or gravitational weapons? Gravitic telekinesis? And does the bias drive have unique advantages that would prevent it from being made obsolete by other tech?

bias_drive_1.jpg

Image: Popular Science

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
It's like a alcubierre drive but for sublight travel

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: space, propulsion, metric engineering, clarketech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users