Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Shkadov Thrusters

shkadov thruster stellar engine space clarketech

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

And old Isaac Arthur, but one from which I've found inspiration for The Man Who Moved the Stars. Naturally. Thought I'd share it.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

no replies?

also curious how many views this has

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Astralator

Astralator

100 Billion Suns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationHamburg

It goes without commenting that anything by Isaac Arthur is phenomenal.

I have to say that the episodes about mega-scale constructions like these fascinate me especially. Any civilization that can boast about moving stars themselves is truly epic, in many ways.

I find it even more incredible that we measly humans could totally do this. Give us some time, resources and automation and once we reach K2 this is well within the realm of the feasible. Although I really only see an application for this if (a civilization, an ASI, whatever) controls several stars. I think there were clusters of matryoshka brains in Orion’s Arm.

Another use that just crossed my mind might be when the andromeda galaxy collides with ours. Any civilization in 4 billion years should possess fairly impressive observations and simulations and might opt to move valuable systems into safer positions. (Given that space is pretty much emptiness I am not quite sure how necessary this, given that you would have to start your manoeuvres centuries/millennia in advance).

Playing God is actually the highest expression of human nature. The urges to improve ourselves, to master our environment, [...] have been the fundamental driving forces of all of human history. Without these urges to ‘play God’, the world as we know it wouldn’t exist today.” - Ramez Naam

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shkadov thruster, stellar engine, space, clarketech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users