Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Elon is Sending His Tesla To Mars

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

Apparently the touted 'silly' payload that SpaceX is going to launch on its Falcon Heavy Demo Flight will be Elon's personal Tesla. It isn't April 1 so I guess I have to take his word for it. I didn't believe it for a little bit. This is quite a PR stunt for both SpaceX and Tesla. Thoughts on the subject? Should he have sent something more useful? It will be an interesting artifact for future space archaeologists to find.

24232856_10213004328937003_4352446039916

• Zaphod, eacao, Jakob and 1 other like this

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

"I love the thought of a car drifting apparently endlessly through space and perhaps being discovered by an alien race millions of years in the future" --Elon Musk. Looks like I have something else to add to my sig.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

I hear some people complaining that this is a waste of resources. These people are ill informed. Below I debunk this.

1. The FH needed a dummy payload for its first launch, so Musk's old Model S that likely just sits in his garage is serving a purpose. A dummy payload was going to happen, so might as well throw something interesting and useful, see point 3.

2. A test launch isn't a waste of resources if it demonstrates future capability, especially if that is capability is deep space or Mars.

3. Its a PR stunt for SpaceX and Tesla, it will get those companies alot of attention as the launch comes and goes and we follow the progress of the car. People tend to relate to cars on a personal level so it's guaranteed to attract attention. So it serves a purpose for Musk and his companies.

4. In a cosmic perspective, its funny and random as hell.

• Jakob, FrogCAT and Alislaws like this

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

Wish he'd put a parachute on the housing carrying it and attempt to land it on mars. lol

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,227 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

Relevant: http://www.futuretim...hurch/?p=229451

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationCanada

In a few centuries, Martian kids will lie on some vast red plain and gaze up at the stars, and maybe, just maybe, someone will notice a small light streak across the Martian sky. Except this won't be some stupid communication satellite we 21st century Earth plebs are used to- no, this will be a Tesla Roadster, baby. Making a wish upon a star? Ha! How about making a wish upon a goddamn Tesla Roadster.

• Jakob likes this
If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. -Peter Ustinov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users