Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

What would a highly advanced future civilization be working on?

future civilization Far future

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
In Star Wars, the Death Star superlaser based on weaponizing kyber crystals was the big project the type III civilization of the Star Wars galaxy was working on. What other big project could a Type III civilization (one that has already achieved Faster than light travel) could be working on developing? Forget teleportation, time travel and the containment of a singularity. I have deemed all 3 of those to be impossible in my Type III civilization. What else could be the big project?

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

Nothing. You think here on Earth, we have anything that could be described as "the big project"? Like, ever in human history? Now imagine how diverse a K3 civilization would be. Spanning 150,000 light years. A billion billion political ideologies, languages, cultures, religions, even biological compositions (or lack thereof). An empire of a million planets could be an insignificant micronation that no one pays any attention to. Their energy budget would be a billion trillion times higher than a K1 civ (which is still hundreds of times higher than ours).

That doesn't mean they couldn't do whatever the fuck they wanted. Rearrange the stars in the sky? Just build Shkadov thrusters and send them flying. Create a baby universe? Yeah, that's possible too. Build a billion ships out of solid gold? Zip over to a metal-rich star and start starlifting. Sail about the galaxy in an artificial moon with an entire biosphere of boron-based life that waits on you hand and foot? No problem. Build twenty-mile-high walking, talking obelisks with your face on them on every habitable planet in the galaxy? Bring out the Von Nuemann bots. Get a girlfriend? OK, now we're reaching a bit, that's the purview of a Type 4 civilization.

Star Wars

Star Wars is weak, primitive. They're a type 1 civilization, nowhere near type 3. The Empire has, what, 69 million planets? And that's it? It puts them at type 1.7-1.8. A one-star civilization with a Dyson swarm could beat them. What could the Empire do against a superlaser that can strike in many directions at once, at any time, and for extended periods of time? That's a Nicoll Dyson beam. What about a trillion-strong swarm of kinetic missiles hurtling at them at 99% of light speed?  What about starships that constantly make copies of themselves while spewing missiles at them and making more copies of the missiles so they never run out?

• BasilBerylium and Alislaws like this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
Multiversal experiments

Exo-galactic exploration

I'd like to see a few hundred planets be terraformed and seeded with synthetic humans and ecosystems completely isolated from us and each other then observe their behaviors. These worlds would be completely devoid of fossil fuels, thus stranding them in perpetual primitivism.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,335 posts
These social experiments would last for thousands of years, with each world slightly different, ecologically.

It would be interesting to see how well they'd adapt to their respective environments.
- Alexander McQueen

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Nothing. You think here on Earth, we have anything that could be described as "the big project"? Like, ever in human history? Now imagine how diverse a K3 civilization would be. Spanning 150,000 light years. A billion billion political ideologies, languages, cultures, religions, even biological compositions (or lack thereof). An empire of a million planets could be an insignificant micronation that no one pays any attention to. Their energy budget would be a billion trillion times higher than a K1 civ (which is still hundreds of times higher than ours).

That doesn't mean they could do whatever the fuck they wanted. Rearrange the stars in the sky? Just build Shkadov thrusters and send them flying. Create a baby universe? Yeah, that's possible too. Build a billion ships out of solid gold? Zip over to a metal-rich star and start starlifting. Sail about the galaxy in an artificial moon with an entire biosphere designed to wait on you hand and foot? No problem. Build twenty-mile-high walking, talking obelisks with your face on them on every habitable planet in the galaxy? Bring out the Von Nuemann bots. Get a girlfriend? OK, now we're reaching a bit, that's the purview of a Type 4 civilization.

Star Wars

Star Wars is weak, primitive. They're a type 1 civilization, nowhere near type 3. The Empire has, what, 69 million planets? And that's it? It puts them at type 1.7-1.8. A one-star civilization with a Dyson swarm could beat them. What could the Empire do against a superlaser that can strike in many directions at once, at any time, and for extended periods of time? That's a Nicoll Dyson beam. What about a trillion-strong swarm of kinetic missiles hurtling at them at 99% of light speed?  What about starships that constantly make copies of themselves while spewing missiles at them and making more copies of the missiles so they never run out?

Is type 4 supercluster or universe?
- Alexander McQueen

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,335 posts
I also have to agree with jakob in regards to star wars being type 1. It just so happens they've managed to travel FTL. That doesn't mean they really are all that more advanced than us, they can only go places faster, that's basically the extent of their power; Even considering death star and that planet popper from the last movie. If a deathstar is the apex of their technology then they don't "seem" all too advanced. Technologically speaking, I'd say their about a thousand years more advanced than us today, notwithstanding FIT tech.
  • Jakob likes this
- Alexander McQueen

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,335 posts
It probably should be noted that , from my understanding, star wars FIT travel wasn't really an invention, so to speak, they just tap into the hyperspace which exists in their universe. It would be a whole other story of they had the power to fold the fabric of the cosmos at their beck and will, which they can't. Honestly, they just got lucky with hyperspace.
- Alexander McQueen

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,335 posts
Off☆topic again, but they also don't seem to be able to terraform planets, again they just lucked-out being able to breathe in every atmosphere in their galaxy. Allowing humans and other lifeforms to inhabit millions of worlds without the technicalrequirements we would need.
- Alexander McQueen

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

I think i've heard that an explanation for the number of habitable planets in the galaxy is that tens of thousands of years before the star wars episodes an ancient progenitor race terraformed everything but vanished later.

• Frizz likes this

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Any advanced civilization would

1. Feed its population

2. Get rid of inequality

3. Educate its population

4. Set some major goals like fusion, cures for cancer or maybe human exploration of the planets

this is what we should be doing but of course we elect people that believe we should go backwards!!! lol

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Hyndal_Halcyon

Hyndal_Halcyon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

T3 civilizations that harness the power output of galaxies should naturally be working on becoming T4. This means:

• Rearranging entire constellations into modular geometric distances for easier transport (if you don't like wormhole tech, use skhadov thrusters)
  • Guided growth of nebulae directly into Matrioshka brains by seeding the dust clouds with artificial neurons that eat rotational energy, heat, and dust to create more artificial neurons
  • Postponing death of star systems by using magnets to control a star's rotation, mass ejections, surface temperature, and overall composition
  • Making biological versions of space habitats and arcologies that are von-neumann-capable and imbued with sentience for efficient automation
  • Making baby universes (easy shortcut to T4, because why a baby universe is also a universe, obviously)

However, the only sound method for FTL tech is spacetime origami, and that includes wormholes. So if you want something else for FTL tech, then it would be a science fantasy worldbuild so be careful.

As you can see, I'm a huge nerd who'd rather write about how we can become a Type V civilization instead of study for my final exams (gotta fix that).

But to put an end to this topic, might I say that the one and only greatest future achievement of humankind is when it finally becomes posthumankind.

Hyndal_Halcyon

Hyndal_Halcyon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Any advanced civilization would

1. Feed its population

2. Get rid of inequality

3. Educate its population

4. Set some major goals like fusion, cures for cancer or maybe human exploration of the planets

this is what we should be doing but of course we elect people that believe we should go backwards!!! lol

Wrong. An advanced civilization will have no need for all that. Their existence would become perpetual and indistinguishable from natural phenomena - they'll be like gods.

• They won't need food as you know it, but yes they will feed on something, although their digestive systems will choose to exhaust their food only as fast as they can recycle it. 
  • They won't try to get rid of inequality. It's part of the grand design of any civilization, because it drives change. Imagine if everyone is actually just the same person. Just how advanced is that. They should rather exploit inequality as a form of diversity.
  • They won't educate their population, because their population is already educated. What they might do is educate other species.
  • They wouldn't have to set goals because they've hit the evolutionary end - they are an advanced, not an advancing civilization. After that, the only goal to set will be self-perpetuation - spreading their own idea of being 'advanced'.

As you can see, I'm a huge nerd who'd rather write about how we can become a Type V civilization instead of study for my final exams (gotta fix that).

But to put an end to this topic, might I say that the one and only greatest future achievement of humankind is when it finally becomes posthumankind.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,239 posts

That doesn't mean they could do whatever the fuck they wanted. Rearrange the stars in the sky? Just build Shkadov thrusters and send them flying. Create a baby universe? Yeah, that's possible too. Build a billion ships out of solid gold? Zip over to a metal-rich star and start starlifting. Sail about the galaxy in an artificial moon with an entire biosphere designed to wait on you hand and foot? No problem. Build twenty-mile-high walking, talking obelisks with your face on them on every habitable planet in the galaxy? Bring out the Von Nuemann bots. Get a girlfriend? OK, now we're reaching a bit, that's the purview of a Type 4 civilization.

Star Wars

Is type 4 supercluster or universe?

Type 4 is usually universe but not always. They have an energy budget of 1046 watts, a billion times a K3 civilization or a billion billion trillion times a K1 civilization. They would undoubtedly be active across all of space and time and would certainly have a contingency plan for any universe-ending catastrophe (false vacuum...). I've actually seen it suggested that we couldn't observe a Type 4 civ at all because whatever they do would be simply misidentified as natural phenomena since there are no actual natural phenomena to compare them to.

Spoiler

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,517 posts
  • LocationRussia

What else could be the big project?

Seriously, I have not the slightest idea. The main problem with such predictions is that we attribute to them (i.e. distant descendants) our own agenda and motives. In other words, to guess what they will do, we should at least know what will they want and strive to. Only thing i know for sure: the distant future will be qualitatively different. Not "just like our world, but with bigger spaceships and faster computers". Nor it will be "usual capitalism, just with 1000 times bigger GDP per capita" (as Jakob may think).

As for Star Wars, yes, no matter how many planets this Galactic Empire includes, this is still the overgrown colonial empire of 18-19 centuries. Even their technology aren't much advanced: they're still using tiny spaceships with human (sic!) pilots to attack the bigger ones! This is just ridiculous.

Btw, there was a short story by Paul Anderson about some alien race wich accidentally discovered FTL and began their space expansion, but other than that, very backward. Eventually, they landed somewhere in modern USA and tried to terrorize humans by their most advanced weapon: muskets... does anyone remember the name of this story?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,239 posts

Seriously, I have not the slightest idea. The main problem with such predictions is that we attribute to them (i.e. distant descendants) our own agenda and motives. In other words, to guess what they will do, we should at least know what will they want and strive to. Only thing i know for sure: the distant future will be qualitatively different. Not "just like our world, but  with bigger spaceships and faster computers". Nor it will be "usual capitalism, just with 1000 times bigger GDP per capita" (as Jakob may think).

Well we probably will have bigger spaceships, faster computers, and much more wealth. You're right, of course, that it isn't just modern society with a bunch of shiny stuff added. I don't think I've ever said that it would be, except perhaps when I was much younger and less mature. The actual theme I generally try to convey is that the future will be surreal, full of constructs and technologies and yes, civilizations, that don't quite make sense to the unenlightened. Yet in spite of this, people adapt, life goes on, and the human condition never changes. That's the source of inspiration for most of what I write, the bizarre clash of old and new, comprehensible and incomprehensible. Yes there are high ais building diamond towers that walk and talk and do mysterious things for no apparent reason. But at their feet, there's a bunch of humans connected by thoughts in a living village, and despite the fact that it doesn't make any sense to us and makes our heads spin doesn't stop them from living, working, playing, eating, laughing, loving, as if it's completely ordinary to them. Which it is.

I think I'm rambling here, but I guess you could sum it up as "Human motivations in an inhuman future". Whereas pop sci-fi goes more along the lines of "Human motivations in a human future".

As for Star Wars, yes, no matter how many planets this Galactic Empire includes, this is still the overgrown colonial empire of 18-19 centuries. Even their technology aren't much advanced: they're still using tiny spaceships with human (sic!) pilots to attack the bigger ones! This is just ridiculous.

Don't let the spaceships fool you, I don't think Star Wars was ever meant to be science fiction, even George Lucas said so. I mean, it literally has magic. It's not exploring the implications of science and technology, it's just repackaging common fantasy themes that date back centuries. You could replace the spaceships with horses, the lightsabers with swords, etc. and you wouldn't lose the essence of the story.

Other than that, it's the point I'm trying to make--the Galactic Empire is an overgrown relic of an older way of thinking.

Btw, there was a short story by Paul Anderson about some alien race wich accidentally discovered FTL and began their space expansion, but other than that, very backward. Eventually, they landed somewhere in modern USA and tried to terrorize humans by their most advanced weapon: muskets... does anyone remember the name of this story?

It's by Turtledove. The Road Not Taken.

Spoiler

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,517 posts
  • LocationRussia

It's by Turtledove. The Road Not Taken.

Yes, this story! Thank you.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

After that list I posted last night helps the civilization get grounded I'd add.

1. It will take over other planets, moons and asteroids in the solar system to expand its grip on resources.

2. Work on anti-aging tech and prefect it to extend its life

3. Enhance its genetics in order to increase intelligence and become superior as a species.

4. It will figure out what makes the universe tick and use it to move faster and use the universe towards its own benefit.

4a. Worm holes? Warp speed travel? or maybe using blackholes for some form of time travel?

My point above was if society doesn't care about its own people how the hell is it going to move forward?

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,239 posts

After that list I posted last night helps the civilization get grounded I'd add.

1. It will take over other planets, moons and asteroids in the solar system to expand its grip on resources.

2. Work on anti-aging tech and prefect it to extend its life

3. Enhance its genetics in order to increase intelligence and become superior as a species.

4. It will figure out what makes the universe tick and use it to move faster and use the universe towards its own benefit.

4a. Worm holes? Warp speed travel? or maybe using blackholes for some form of time travel?

My point above was if society doesn't care about its own people how the hell is it going to move forward?

You would do well to read the OP more. It doesn't seem to be something you do often.

Spoiler

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAustralia

As others have said, many things at once. The Milliennium Development goals and CERN experiments and reusable rocketry and asteroid mining and fusion etc are the things we're working on today. 

But generally we can say that necessity is the mother of invension. Going to the Moon or building the transcontinential railroad in North America came about because there was an immediate and pressing need. 

A highly advanced civilsation might be working on a way to get a blue giant nearing the end of its life away from themselves. They might be trying to stave off a black hole that's going to disrupt their portion of the galaxy. They might be trying to synchronise computers across many star systems. 

Whatever they need in a timely manner. 

Only take advice from people who have what you want.
You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

CoolGuy23

CoolGuy23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationTennessee

lifting trucks like you wouldn't believe

• Hyndal_Halcyon likes this

May We All get to grow up in a Red, White, and Blue little town!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: future civilization, Far future

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users