Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

"NASA will have big Kepler AI assisted discovery announced on Thursday"

exoplanets space nasa kepler ai machine learning

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

NASA will have big Kepler AI assisted discovery announced on Thursday

NASA will host a media teleconference at 1 p.m. EST Thursday, Dec. 14, to announce the latest discovery made by its planet-hunting Kepler space telescope. The discovery was made by researchers using machine learning from Google. Machine learning is an approach to artificial intelligence, and demonstrates new ways of analyzing Kepler data.

It's...gonna...be...YUGE! (Hence the special thread)

• eacao, Yuli Ban and Maximus like this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 9,176 posts

Hopefully this means that it looked through all the candidates and found thousands of real ones. ;) Maybe dozens of habitable earth like planets. A.I is a very powerful tool that I'd expect could do this.

• eacao and Unity like this

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationSlocan Park, BC
There’s always a chance it could also be an alien megastructure. At best, it could be a docking bay, observatory or space habitat. But at worst it could be a weapons factory, prison or a space station to moniter all life on the world that it orbits to an Orwellian degree.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 9,176 posts

I think it is a shit load of planets.

Probably at least 100.

or At least one or more within the habitable zone of m, k and g class stars and are confirmed rocky. What would be more amazing if this is the orbiting a k or g type star and didn't have to deal with massive solar winds that m class deals with.

• Jakob likes this

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationSlocan Park, BC
^Would any of these planets happen to be in the Kepler star system itself?

Jakob

Jakob

• Members
  • 5,786 posts

There’s always a chance it could also be an alien megastructure. At best, it could be a docking bay, observatory or space habitat. But at worst it could be a weapons factory, prison or a space station to moniter all life on the world that it orbits to an Orwellian degree.

Nobody with the capability to build such a structure would be confined to planetary living.

• Sciencerocks likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 9,176 posts

What a sick fucking joke. Forcing people to wait a fucking week to announce that Kepler 90 has 8 planets that are hotter then hell.

Could have just as easily added it to the archives a week ago! Goddamnnittt!!!

• Jakob likes this

Jakob

Jakob

• Members
  • 5,786 posts

What a sick fucking joke. Forcing people to wait a fucking week to announce that Kepler 90 has 8 planets that are hotter then hell.

Could have just as easily added it to the archives a week ago! Goddamnnittt!!!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who was disappointed.

One new planet? Really?

The only consolation is that the two outer planets orbit at exactly the same distance that Venus and Earth orbit the Sun. Habitable exomoons?

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 9,176 posts

https://www.cfa.harv...b/kepler90i.pdf

IDENTIFYING EXOPLANETS WITH DEEP LEARNING : A FIVE PLANET RESONANT CHAIN AROUND KEPLER-80 AND AN EIGHTH PLANET AROUND KEPLER-90

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationCanada

Artificial Intelligence, NASA Data Used to Discover Eighth Planet Circling Distant Star

Our solar system now is tied for most number of planets around a single star, with the recent discovery of an eighth planet circling Kepler-90, a Sun-like star 2,545 light-years from Earth. The planet was discovered in data from NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope.

The newly-discovered Kepler-90i – a sizzling hot, rocky planet that orbits its star once every 14.4 days – was found using machine learning from Google. Machine learning is an approach to artificial intelligence in which computers “learn.” In this case, computers learned to identify planets by finding in Kepler data instances where the telescope recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets. “Just as we expected, there are exciting discoveries lurking in our archived Kepler data, waiting for the right tool or technology to unearth them,” said Paul Hertz, director of NASA’s Astrophysics Division in Washington. “This finding shows that our data will be a treasure trove available to innovative researchers for years to come.” 

The discovery came about after researchers Christopher Shallue and Andrew Vanderburg trained a computer to learn how to identify exoplanets in the light readings recorded by Kepler – the minuscule change in brightness captured when a planet passed in front of, or transited, a star. Inspired by the way neurons connect in the human brain, this artificial “neural network” sifted through Kepler data and found weak transit signals from a previously-missed eighth planet orbiting Kepler-90, in the constellation Draco.

While machine learning has previously been used in searches of the Kepler database, this research demonstrates that neural networks are a promising tool in finding some of the weakest signals of distant worlds.  

Other planetary systems probably hold more promise for life than Kepler-90. About 30 percent larger than Earth, Kepler-90i is so close to its star that its average surface temperature is believed to exceed 800 degrees Fahrenheit, on par with Mercury. Its outermost planet, Kepler-90h, orbits at a similar distance to its star as Earth does to the Sun.

I'll admit, on the surface, this announcement was pretty underwhelming compared to NASA's last "big announcement", which was about the TRAPPIST system. However, while the discovery of a scorched rocky planet might not be that exciting, the methods used to make this discovery raise the prospects of more exoplanet discoveries- especially ones that we may already have data on, but we've overlooked due to human error. In that sense, this is actually huge news; the TRAPPIST announcement was exciting, but it was sort of a lucky-one-in-a-hundred discovery. This is pretty dull, but it raises the prospects of systematically improving our methods of identifying exoplanets from vast amounts of data; in the long term, this will enormously benefit our search for exoplants, and over the next few years I bet we'll hearing about some pretty exciting finds using this technology. 

17-098.jpg?itok=b6BNrYum

With the discovery of an eighth planet, the Kepler-90 system is the first to tie with our solar system in number of planets (Credits: NASA/Wendy Stenzel)

• caltrek, TheComrade and Jakob like this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 9,176 posts

To be honest I think Kepler 80g is kind of interesting as it is 1.13 earth radi centauri.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1607.07540.pdf

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
I am taking away from this incredible news, regarding humans, when counting planets around stars, we need AI to count more than 7, no?
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

I am taking away from this incredible news, regarding humans, when counting planets around stars, we need AI to count more than 7, no?

To find them at least

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
Was being sarcastic. Found it really disappointing nasa would think it was worth hyping up. Nasa has always been one of the best things about USA and shouldnt be throwing away credibility on something borderlining on a publicity stunt.
  • Jakob likes this
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,723 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I'll take needless hype if it brings in new lovers of science and astronomy instead of continued apathy and flat earth memes.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exoplanets, space, nasa, kepler, ai, machine learning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users