Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

IBM announces breakthrough in quantum computing, promising scalability

quantum computer computers computing quantum computer quantum computers quantum computing qubit supercomputer supercomputers

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Mr. Carmichael

Mr. Carmichael

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm curious to know at what rate qubits will develop in size. By that I mean how long it will take to get from a three qubit QC to a 250 one and beyond.

shane_allen

shane_allen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationMinnesotta
Dang... This is more readable then that Dwave.

Edited by shane_allen, 01 March 2012 - 12:52 AM.

Check out /r/futuretimeline and voice you opinion on when various technologies will emerge.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon

I'm curious to know at what rate qubits will develop in size.
By that I mean how long it will take to get from a three qubit QC to a 250 one and beyond.

I believe there was another post recently showing that the progress of QCs is currently following the same trend as traditional computers (I.e.) Moore's law
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://www.quantenbl...uantum-computer

SG-1

SG-1

Carpe Diem

• Members
  • 3,402 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Think about this:
Mankind has had digital technology since about 1943 which is only 69 years. Not even 70. Think about that, and then think that in 70 more years we will be starting to make some really amazing super computers.

Then think about this. It is possible for an alien race to have 3-5 billion years more experience with digital technology now than we have. How long ago did life start on Earth? Well about 3.8 billion years ago. Now wonder if we are in a simulation. The universe could be expanding into nothing because it hasn't "loaded yet".

I don't think we are in a simulation because why would someone keep a 3.8 billion year old computer around? Still, interesting to think about when your bored.

Mark your calendars

Never Yield

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
I think it simulation may be lot faster, you just press one button and it goes million years each second. By the time tentacled alien gets his coffe dinosaurs die and humans reach Moon.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quantum, computer, computers, computing, quantum computer, quantum computers, quantum computing, qubit, supercomputer, supercomputers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users