Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The future of Animals

animals future

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,939 posts

Let's try to keep this thread about the actual future of animals, not current events (which as I say should really be in the off-topic forum).

Here's an interesting question to ponder: are we going to bring any animals to the stars? And if so, which ones? There won't be any need to bring them, certainly, because robots and lab-grown meat account for any possible use they could have, but animals of high cultural significance would probably be brought from home. One of the stories in my story thread touches upon this:

[The Indian colonists of Ross 128 b] also created a herd of 50 cows from frozen embryos, an act which clearly influenced many other Terran colonists: the first American ship to Proxima brought 51 cryopreserved bald eagles from home.

They might also be used for biosphere building on worlds that have little to none, but it seems more likely we'd engineer a biosphere on site, either from scratch or based on any existing biosphere that might be present.

There will also be any number of unwelcome stowaways like insects and rats, as Randall Munroe suggests:

There might be a billion habitable planets in our galaxy. If we colonized them, we’d certainly bring mice and rats with us. If just one in a hundred were populated with small mammals in numbers similar to Earth’s, after a few million years—not long, in evolutionary time—the total number which have ever lived would surpass Avogadro’s number.

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,939 posts

Uplifting is a relevant topic, but we have a thread on that. Go there for posts about uplifting.

As We Rise

As We Rise

On and off and on and off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
Tl;dr, they're all going to go extinct.

Currently going through a shift in my views.

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

Fighting Corporations since 2020

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

lol, and then we'll bring them all back.

John Lennon dares you to make sense of this

Spoiler

CoolGuy23

CoolGuy23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDixieland

they evolve back into dinosaurs and be all like #DINOSQUAD

May We All get to grow up in a Red, White, and Blue little town!

Ewolf20

Ewolf20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationColumbia,sc

that seems realistic save for a few animals that can survive unless humans end up extinct as well. in other words, extinctions are not surprising. even extinctions like these, life starts over and new animals evolve. it may take many years in the process but now i feel better now. sure, we may never see these kinds of animals again and there's no knowing how all of these animals are going to look like but i guess we humans might as be one of those unique animals that would never be seen again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: animals, future

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users