Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Your 2018 Predictions

2018 predictions technology science social politics AI artificial intelligence robotics military

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

India solidifies their position as the fifth largest economy in the world without being dependent on currency fluctuations.

Funny how i predicted this on the 23rd and a few days later it's all over the news. Guess you don't need to be a huge research firm to know simple stuff like this. 

• Yuli Ban, Erowind and BasilBerylium like this

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

What are your predictions for the 2018 American Mid-Term elections? (Other than Yuli Ban's, I already saw his)

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,740 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

India solidifies their position as the fifth largest economy in the world without being dependent on currency fluctuations.

Funny how i predicted this on the 23rd and a few days later it's all over the news. Guess you don't need to be a huge research firm to know simple stuff like this. 

Speaking of such simple stuff, I'm starting to wonder if 2018 is the first time we'll see a conflict break out over freshwater access (perhaps in Yemen?).

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,701 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Speaking of such simple stuff, I'm starting to wonder if 2018 is the first time we'll see a conflict break out over freshwater access (perhaps in Yemen?).

Speaking of freshwater access, I wonder what breakthroughs we'll see in 2018 with regards to saltwater and brackish water desalination. Anyone in the know with the graphene membrane development thus far?

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

One more:

• The cost of whole-genome sequencing falls below $500/genome (7).

I know I'm missing something, but I looked over the page and couldn't find anything that talked about a price drop next year.

Great news just the same, since there hasn't been much news on the pricing front since the massive drop down to $1000 (from about $5000 if I remember correctly, though it's been a long time) around the very beginning of 2014.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 6,999 posts

Oh, why go through the trouble of original composition when it is so much easier to cut and paste.

(Los Angeles Times) Scientists make New Year’s resolutions like the rest of us, but their lists are just a little more ambitious.

In 2018, they plan to fly machines into the sun’s atmosphere, onto the surface of Mars and alongside an object 4 billion miles away in the Kuiper belt. They’ll deploy a gene-editing system inside the cells of living people to fight a cancer-causing virus. They’ll try to see the edge of a black hole, and to win seats in Congress.

And that’s only some of what they have in store.

Here are 11 science stories we can’t wait to follow in 2018 (see link provided below).

http://www.latimes.c...-htmlstory.html

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Jakob

Jakob

• Members
  • 5,787 posts

Oh, why go through the trouble of original composition when it is so much easier to cut and paste.

Not to  mention boost your post count with ease while some of us try to hand-pick futuristic articles and write original content...

xD

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 6,999 posts

^^^ *Plays violin in background*

It is called "citation of evidence."

Arbitrary definitions of "futuristic articles" limit your content.  Don't blame me for your capriciousness.  

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Jakob

Jakob

• Members
  • 5,787 posts

^^^ *Plays violin in background*

It is called "citation of evidence."

Arbitrary definitions of "futuristic articles" limit your content.  Don't blame me for your capriciousness.  

This war is not yet over.

Jakob

Jakob

• Members
  • 5,787 posts

Oh. Maybe it is. 5350.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2018, predictions, technology, science, social, politics, AI, artificial intelligence, robotics, military

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users