Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Year 2017, the summary

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

2017 AD becoming history, so i decided to create a thread dedicated to all the historical and memorable events of passing year. That's how it looks in my eyes:

19958313.jpg

January 2017. Inauguration of Donald Trump marks the beginning of new (it's still unclear which exactly) period of US history.

19958314.jpg

March 2017. Adventures of Alexey Navalny in Russia. The unprincipled populist, he came out with new and unusual tactics of using teenagers in his rallies and throwing them against police, that was totally unexpected and very unpleasant surprise for the authorities. Being considered "political pedophile" and hated by wast majority of Russians, he managed to gain support of Western elites as "anti-corruption fighter" and "the main Putin's rival".

19958315.jpg

April 2017. Syrian crisis, IMHO this was the event of the year, underrated and barely even noticed by common people. Another "chemical attack", another stream of war propaganda, US representative posing in UN with photos of dead children, other representative visiting Moscow with arrogant ultimatum "Russia must publicly admit that was fooled by Assad and then chose the right side of history, or else..."

Frankly, i was almost sure that "yes, here is it, the trigger..." It was clear that ultimatum will be rejected and then... to my great surprise, nothing happened, USA just stepped back with loss of reputation.

19958316.jpg

April 2017. Korean crisis. The second attempt of US bullying failed the same way as the first one. Despite the stream of threats and "very powerful armada" of mr.Trump, North Koreans not only continued their missile program but even accelerated it.

19958317.jpg

May 2017. Emmanuel Macron became the new president of France. This was the victory of globalist and neoliberal elites and a sign that "populist and nationalist" tide can be stopped and reversed.

19958318.jpg

September-October 2017. Independence referendums in Kurdistan and Catalonia, both ended with formal "victory" which only led to complete defeat of separatists.

19958320.png

November 2017. Dethroning of Robert Mugabe. The whole thing turned into farce, till the very end the old dictator was refusing to admit what's really going on around him...

19958321.jpg

December 2017. Syrian victory and defeat of ISIS caused the mixed feelings in the West: irritation (which can not be voiced openly) and, at the same time, clear desire to take credit for this victory (especialy ridiculous in case of France).

19958322.jpg

December 2017. Olympic baiting of Russia reached its peak. IOC banned the Russian team and oficially cancelled the presumption of innocence in regards to all sportsmen of Russian origin.

• Yuli Ban, ddmkm122, Jakob and 1 other like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts
  • LocationLondon

January

20 January – Donald Trump is sworn in as 45th President of the United States.
21 January – Millions of people worldwide join the Women's March in response to the inauguration of Donald Trump as President.

February

11 February – North Korea prompts international condemnation by test firing a ballistic missile across the Sea of Japan.

March

10 March – The UN warns that the world is facing the biggest humanitarian crisis since World War II, with up to 20 million people at risk of starvation and famine in Yemen, Somalia, South Sudan and Nigeria.
29 March – The United Kingdom triggers article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, starting the Brexit Negotiations, the talks for the United Kingdom to leave the European Union.
30 March – SpaceX conducts the world's first reflight of an orbital class rocket.

April

6 April – In response to a suspected chemical weapons attack on a rebel-held town, the U.S. military launches 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles at an air base in Syria. Russia describes the strikes as an "aggression", adding they significantly damage U.S.–Russia ties.
13 April – In the 2017 Nangarhar airstrike, the U.S. drops the GBU-43/B MOAB, the world's largest non-nuclear weapon, at an ISIL base in Afghanistan.

May

12 May – Computers around the world are hit by a large-scale ransomware cyberattack, which goes on to affect at least 150 countries.
22 May – A terrorist bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, kills 22 people and injures over 500.

June

1 June – Amidst widespread criticism, the U.S. announces its decision to withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement.
7 June – Two terrorist attacks are simultaneously carried out against the Iranian Parliament building and the Mausoleum of Ruhollah Khomeini, leaving 17 civilians dead and 43 wounded; the first ISIL attack in Iran.
10 June – The 2017 World Expo is opened in Astana, Kazakhstan.
21 June – The Great Mosque of al-Nuri in Mosul, Iraq, is destroyed by ISIL.
25 June – The World Health Organization estimates that Yemen has over 200,000 cases of cholera.

July

4 July – Russia and China urge North Korea to halt its missile and nuclear programs after it successfully tested its first intercontinental ballistic missile.
7 July – The Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons is voted for by 122 of the 193 UN member states.
10 July – Iraqi Civil War: Mosul is declared fully liberated from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

August

5 August – The UN Security Council unanimously approves fresh sanctions on North Korean trade and investment.
17 August – The first observation of a collision of two neutron stars (GW170817).
21 August – A total solar eclipse (nicknamed "The Great American Eclipse") is visible within a band across the entire contiguous United States of America, passing from the Pacific to the Atlantic coasts.
25 August – A military operation targeting Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar "seems a textbook example of ethnic cleansing", according to the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights.
25-30 August – Hurricane Harvey strikes the United States as a Category 4 hurricane, causing catastrophic damage to the Houston metropolitan area, mostly due to record-breaking floods. At least 90 deaths are recorded, and total damage reaches $198.6 billion (2017 USD), making Harvey the costliest natural disaster in United States history.

September

1 September – Russian President Vladimir Putin expels 755 diplomats in response to United States sanctions.
3 September – North Korea conducts its sixth and most powerful nuclear test.
6-10 September – The Caribbean and United States are struck by Hurricane Irma, a Category 5 hurricane that is the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic basin outside the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. The storm causes at least 134 deaths and at least $63 billion (2017 USD) in damage.
13 September – The International Olympic Committee awards Paris and Los Angeles the right to host the 2024 and 2028 Summer Olympics, respectively.
15 SeptemberCassini–Huygens ends its 13-year mission by plunging into Saturn, becoming the first spacecraft to enter the planet's atmosphere.
19 September – On the 32nd anniversary of the deadly 1985 Mexico City earthquake, a magnitude 7.1 earthquake strikes central Mexico, killing more than 350, leaving up to 6,000 injured and thousands more homeless.
19-20 September – Just two weeks after Hurricane Irma struck the Caribbean, Hurricane Maria strikes similar areas, making landfall on Dominica as a Category 5 hurricane, and Puerto Rico as a Category 4 hurricane. Maria causes at least 94 deaths and damages estimated in excess of $103 billion (2017 USD).
25 September – Iraqi Kurdistan votes in a referendum to become an independent state, in defiance of Iraq; by October 15, the crisis escalates into a short-lived armed conflict over disputed territories.

October

1 October – 58 people are killed and 546 injured when Stephen Paddock opens fire on a crowd in Las Vegas, surpassing the 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting as the deadliest mass shooting perpetrated by a lone gunman in U.S. history.
12 October – The United States announces its decision to withdraw from UNESCO, and is immediately followed by Israel.
14 October – A massive blast caused by a truck bombing in Mogadishu, Somalia kills at least 512 people and injures 316 others.
17 October – Syrian Civil War: Raqqa is declared fully liberated from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
25 October – At the 19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China, Xi Jinping assumes his second term as General Secretary (China's paramount leader).
27 October – Catalonia declares independence from Spain, but the Catalan Republic is not recognised by the Spanish government or any other sovereign nation.

November

2 November – A new species of orangutan is identified in Indonesia, becoming the third known species of orangutan, as well as the first great ape to be described for almost a century.
3 November – Syrian Civil War: both Deir ez-Zor in Syria and Al-Qa'im in Iraq are declared liberated from ISIL on the same day.
5 November – The German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung publishes 13.4 million documents leaked from the offshore law firm Appleby, along with business registries in 19 tax jurisdictions that reveal offshore financial activities on behalf of politicians, celebrities, corporate giants and business leaders. The newspaper shared the documents with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists and asked it to lead the investigation.
12 November – A magnitude 7.3 earthquake strikes the border region between Iraq and Iran, leaving at least 530 dead and over 70,000 homeless.
15 November – Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe is placed under house arrest, as the military take control of the country. He resigns six days later, after 37 years of rule.
15 November – A Leonardo da Vinci painting, Salvator Mundi, sells for US$450 million at Christie's in New York, a new record price for any work of art.
20 November – Nature publishes an article recognising the high velocity asteroid ʻOumuamua as originating from outside the Solar System, i.e. the first known interstellar object.
22 November – The International Court of Justice finds Ratko Mladić guilty of genocide committed in Srebrenica during the 1990s Bosnian War, the worst massacre in Europe since World War II. He is sentenced to life in prison.
24 November – A mosque attack in Sinai, Egypt kills 305 worshippers and leaves hundreds more wounded.

December

5 December – Russia is banned from the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang by the International Olympic Committee, following an investigation into state-sponsored doping.
6 December – The United States officially recognises Jerusalem as Israel's capital.
9 December – The Iraqi military announces that it has "fully liberated" all of Iraq's territory from "ISIS terrorist gangs" and retaken full control of the Iraqi-Syrian border.
14 December – The Walt Disney Company announces that it will acquire most of 21st Century Fox, including the 20th Century Fox film studio, for $66 billion.
22 December – The UN Security Council votes 15–0 in favor of additional sanctions on North Korea, including measures to slash the country's petroleum imports by up to 90%.
24 December – Guatemala follows in the footsteps of the United States by announcing that they will also move their Israeli embassy to Jerusalem, followed by Honduras and Panama two days later.

• Yuli Ban, caltrek, TheComrade and 1 other like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Frankly, i was almost sure that "yes, here is it, the trigger..." It was clear that ultimatum will be rejected and then... to my great surprise, nothing happened, USA just stepped back with loss of reputation.

I am not quite sure why that was such a surprise.  As I pointed out before, nobody here cares about Syria, except the Pentagon and a handful of immigrants from that region.  Hardly worth starting World War III.

September-October 2017. Independence referendums in Kurdistan and Catalonia, both ended with formal "victory" which only led to complete defeat of separatists.

I think that conclusion is premature on both counts.  

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Because I am so lazy, here is my contribution:

http://www.futuretim...timeline/page-3

It doesn't cover the full year, but the timelines above make up for that deficiency.  

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

I am not quite sure why that was such a surprise.  As I pointed out before, nobody here cares about Syria... Hardly worth starting World War III.

I'm sure this is exactly the same thing that people told in 1914 "nobody here cares about this Serbia..." Anyway, this was just my opinion: "that's how it looks in my eyes".

PS also, i added illustrations in startpost :)

• Yuli Ban and ddmkm122 like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

I'm sure this is exactly the same thing that people told in 1914 "nobody here cares about this Serbia...

Good point!

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Hold on, we've still got the 30th and 31st, something can still happen!

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationIn some cafe eating--yes eating--roasted coffee beans and reading semiotext(e)s

BREAKING NEWS:

A naked man has somehow made his way into the the UN Assembly chamber and climbed atop the rightmost jumbotron. He is reportedly drunkenly singing new years songs as authorities try to coax him down.

/\ Alright reality, make it happen xD

• Jakob and Pisiu369 like this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Validating
  • 5,940 posts

BREAKING NEWS:

A naked man has somehow made his way into the the UN Assembly chamber and climbed atop the rightmost jumbotron. He is reportedly drunkenly singing new years songs as authorities try to coax him down.

/\ Alright reality, make it happen xD

^Let's do it together.

• Erowind likes this

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Terminally Lazy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationArgentina

2017 in a nutshell –

Spoiler

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

some progress in a world of backward leaders like Trump, Putin, Kim.

the silence breakers

fb2e62db19379d9302604557cbc37bd0.jpg

'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

some progress...

Well, i don't think this was such a progress: "Yes, me too!.. Me too!.. Include me in your list!.. This happened 45 years ago, the incredibly rich and powerful lustful man touched my young and beautiful leg! I was silent for all these years because, essentially, i liked it, but now i can't, now i want money and fame, i just can't miss such a chance justice!!!"

• ddmkm122 and Jakob like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users