Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Bayeux Tapestry to be displayed in UK for the first time

Bayeux Tapestry United Kingdom Bayeux Paris London France 2023 Battle of Hastings 1066

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California August 1st 1906 C.E.

17 January 2017

The Bayeux Tapestry is set to be displayed in the UK after France agreed it could leave its shores for the first time in 950 years, the BBC understands.

French President Emmanuel Macron is expected to announce the loan during his visit to the UK on Thursday.

The Times said it could be five years before the tapestry - which depicts the Norman Conquest of England - arrives.

The paper said the loan was subject to the outcome of tests to make sure the 11th Century artwork was safe to move.

The tapestry tells the story of the future William I's conquest of England, culminating in the Battle of Hastings and the defeat of Harold in 1066.

It is on permanent display at a museum in the town of Bayeux, in Normandy, and has very rarely been moved.

However, President Macron is expected to announce the proposed loan at a meeting with Prime Minister Theresa May in the UK this week.

The Times said the agreement was made after "months of talks between culture department officials in London and Paris" but it has not yet been decided where in the UK the tapestry will be displayed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42713552

This will be definitely on my list of things to see in the future, Well will have to wait until 2023 to see this.

• Zaphod, caltrek and Mike the average like this
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationUK

Considering there is a chance it was actually made by nuns in my hometown Canterbury, I hope they display it there. Perhaps in the cathedral.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bayeux Tapestry, United Kingdom, Bayeux, Paris, London, France, 2023, Battle of Hastings, 1066

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users