Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Richest man alive

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,560 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Continuing from the Bill Gates thread now that Gates has lost that position.

Jeff Bezos is not only the richest man alive, but he's also nominally the richest man ever, with a net worth of $105 billion (in real terms, there have been richer men).

Who will be the next? Will it be Satoshi Nakamoto? Will it be proven that Putin's actually been #1 all along? 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

As for who will usurp Bezos' position in the immediate future it will probably be some chinese magnate/tycoon. Ma Huateng maybe? In the short to medium term though I would still place my bets on Elon Musk. I would estimate that if he delivers a reasonable amount of Model 3s and some of his other products like the solar roof tiles and the powerpacks both on an industrial scale as in Australia and at a residential scale then he will very likely grow his wealth in excess of 10 billion this year alone. Calculate in SpaceX and he might grow his wealth by 12-15 billion though I would be inclined to lean towards the lower end of that prognostication. Of course this will still leave him straggling behind someone like Bezos who could lose the entire net worth of Musk and still be in the top 5. 

As for Bezos his opening up of Headquarters 2 and the continued growth and popularity of AWS, Alexa, his media services tells me that we might expect a 120-130 billion dollar Bezos even allowing for some market corrections.

I find it highly likely that Bezos will be surpassed by decades end most likely by a Chinese equivalent from Tencent or Alibaba. 

• Erowind likes this

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationIn some cafe eating--yes eating--roasted coffee beans and reading semiotext(e)s

Bezos could do so much with that wealth, Arcologies, fusion research, solving world hunger or even funding a political campaign to change the paradigm on some ideological stance.

• rennerpetey likes this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,560 posts

Bezos could so much with that wealth, Arcologies, fusion research, solving world hunger or even funding a political campaign to change the paradigm on some ideological stance.

He's doing the lattermost, but only softcore-like. Nothing like the Koch Brothers, Mercers, or Soros.

For the most part, he's doing space exploration.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

As We Rise

As We Rise

Matthew 24:12, NIV

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
Why anyone would need that much money is beyond me.
  • Erowind likes this

The reality? There are millions of normal people who are starting to LIKE the idea of fascism BECAUSE there are literal bolsheviks flooding the streets and attacking people. I swear to God, when the Left actually gets the storm they've been preaching about, you won't even see it on the news. The population will just shrink from 330 million to 230 million overnight and nobody will ever speak of it again.

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Why anyone would need that much money is beyond me.

Because money is great.

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Not saying it will because i think a dot com is coming but this title could so Easily end up in the hands of a crypto king. Depending on how things rolled, Chris Larsen couldve scooped this title already and still could this year. And hes just the most recently obvious, Jed McCaleb couldve been seriously in it as well. I happened to have had ripple when it went up 1600% in the space of weeks, most people dont have an exact idea of just how wildly out of hand crypto is.

The way things are going even the crypto disrupters will get completely disrupted.

• rennerpetey likes this
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationUK

Elon Musk takes aim at £40bn payday - the world's biggest bonus

Elon Musk, the founder and chief executive of electric car company Tesla, would smash all pay records and become the richest man in the world if an extraordinarily ambitious new incentive scheme pays out.

The 46-year-old entrepreneur, who is already a multi-billionaire, has agreed to work unpaid for the next 10 years – after which he would collect an unprecedented $55.8bn (£40bn) bonus if builds the 14-year-old business into a $650bn company within a decade.

“Elon will receive no guaranteed compensation of any kind – no salary, no cash bonuses, and no equity that vests by the passage of time,” the company said of the new pay plan. “Instead, Elon’s only compensation will be a 100% at-risk performance award, which ensures that he will be compensated only if Tesla and all of our stockholders do extraordinarily well.

“For Elon to fully vest in the award, Tesla’s market cap must increase to $650bn.”

• rennerpetey likes this

_SputnicK_

_SputnicK_

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationUSA

There is an serious argument that Vladmir Putin is one of, if not the richest man in the world:

How Much Is Vladimir Putin Worth, and How Does He Spend It?

The world’s richest man?

Rumor has it that Putin could actually be worth as much as $200 billion.

Finally, let’s address those rumors that Putin is, in fact, the richest person in the world. The rumors say that he is worth somewhere near $200 billion, which would make him twice as rich as Jeff Bezos. The problem, as we’ve discussed, is that nobody can verify his wealth. Putin has wealth hidden in all sorts of different assets — be it investments, real estate, vehicles, etc. — all over the world. He may very well have hundreds of billions, but nobody can prove it.

The argument is that the system has been rigged in a way so that the Kremlin's power grants Putin access to not just corporate wealth but the assets of other wealthy individuals under him, resulting in a net worth much higher than currently estimated. If he owns a considerable chunk of the most expensive assets of Russia, then it is not a large stretch of the imagination to assume he is actually #1.

This is all speculation of course since his wealth has never been verified.

"We are attempting to survive our time so we may live into yours." -Jimmy Carter, 1977

"In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone too far. Pictures came and broke your heart, put down the blame on VCR." -The Buggles, 1980

lain

lain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

a more interesting question is, how long before jack ma will steal jeff bezos' spot as the richest man in the world?

alibaba has a similar business model to amazon, so at the end of the day it'll boil down to the geopolitical dichotomoty of the pax sinica vs pax americana: as much as both the e-commerce empires are international platforms, they're still overly reliant on their home countries' economic\political systems - on the one hand, amazon leeches off federal govts' budgets, tax incentives and govt grants, and on the other hand in china politics has a clear hegemony over the private sector and if jack ma were to fall from xi jinping's\the communist party's grace then alibaba would be greatly harmed in the process (it would be a similar case to what happened between putin and khodorkovsky in the early 2000's)-. amazon's long-term monopolistic dominance - at least in the western emisphere- might start shrinking in the future if the underlying soundness of the american economic system and its geopolitical influence will continue eroding, even more so if china will keep replacing successfully the financial vacuum left by the US and establish the yen as a world's reserve currency - and of course the relationship between the chinese govt and alibaba is mutually beneficial, since it's a well-known fact that  china has a tendency to use private businesses to infiltrate and buy influence in foreign political systems-

• Yuli Ban and Jakob like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,560 posts

If ol' Volodya really is worth $200 billion (I can believe it, honestly), he's still gonna have competition.

Seriously, I thought Jack Ma was going to overtake Bezos as soon as 2020 but now I'm really not so sure anymore.

Jeff Bezos' Fortune Crosses $130 Billion As Amazon Stock Continues Climb

While Amazon has been trying to figure out what is causing digital assistant Alexa to laugh unprompted, founder and CEO Jeff Bezos has been laughing all the way to the bank. His fortune climbed past $130 billion this week.
Bezos became $2.1 billion richer on Friday, pushing his net worth to $130.5 billion, as Amazon's stock continues its relentless ascent. Shares have risen 5% in the past week and 85% in the last twelve months. That has quickly made Bezos the richest person on the planet and the first centi-billionaire in the Forbes Billionaire ranks.
The e-commerce king is followed by Bill Gates, the second richest man in the world, who became about $700 million richer on Friday. His net worth: $92.2 billion. Legendary investor Warren Buffett rounds out the top three, with a fortune estimated at $91.3 billion. His net worth swelled by $3.4 billion on Friday.

Motherfucker was worth $70 billion this time last year, and he almost doubled that. If he keeps up this level of wealth gain, he'll surpass even Putin's hypothetical net worth by year's end.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,560 posts

Jeff Bezos Is Making an Insane $230,000 a Minute Right Now

Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos started 2018 as the world’s richest man—and his net worth has positively skyrocketed so far this year.
Jeff Bezos’ net worth is based mostly on the price of Amazon stock, and Amazon shares have been soaring, up more than 50% over the past six months. Bezos started 2018 with a fortune worth nearly $100 billion, and he quickly added $10 billion to his net worth within the first two weeks of the year. By the end of January, Bezos was up up $20 billion year to date.
According to the Bloomberg Billionaire Index, Jeff Bezos’ net worth just hit $129 billion, up a whopping $30.1 billion thus far in 2018. Bezos now holds a huge lead over the world’s second-richest person, Microsoft founder and philanthropist Bill Gates, whose net worth is $92 billion, and who has made “only” $128 million in 2018.
Jeff Bezos’ net worth has been growing at a staggering pace. He added $35 billion to his fortune last year, and it seems like he will surpass that mark easily in 2018. Less than three months into the year, he has been expanding his fortune at a pace of better than $10 billion per month.

Fuckin' 'ell!!

To put that into perspective, Jack Ma's current net worth is $41.1 billion. Bezos made 3/4 of Ma's entire net worth in three months.

• Jakob likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • 5,952 posts

ALL HAIL ST. JEFF

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,560 posts

Our One True God-Emperor Has Arrived

Jeff Bezos inaugurated as God Emperor of Earth
customer-is-king-for-jeff-bezos.jpg

And He brings weapons
C7Vl_gtWkAAkj_Y.0.jpg
The actual fuck, this is real.

• Jakob, BasilBerylium and Rusty Shackleford like this

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

an4qh2w4euk01.jpg

He's no saint

• wjfox, Yuli Ban, Maximus and 4 others like this
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,560 posts

^ Exactly.

He is the Master of Reality (possibly literally).

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,671 posts

For real tho - we'll probably see the world's first trillionaire by 2050 and that blows my mind.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 19,560 posts

Right, so if Jeff Bezos were a state, he'd be the 58th wealthiest country on Earth.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,671 posts

tbf I refuse to go with the grain of hero-worshiping this neoliberal globalist pig. His atrocious behavior should not be overlooked, much less glorified. Always criticize the people in control.

I find especially disgusting the way he's trying to stage a race to the bottom by promising to move HQ2 to whatever town gives his company the most tax breaks. Exploitative.

• joe00uk likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • 5,952 posts

He is a great hero, but of course, he is not a divine being like St. Elon.

Also, I bet you're just jealous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users