Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Neanderthals were capable of making art

Neanderthals Art Spain Europe 65000 years ago La Pasiega Maltravieso Ardales

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,155 posts
  • LocationMars, August 9th 2069 C.E.

23 February 2018

Contrary to the traditional view of them as brutes, it turns out that Neanderthals were artists.

A study in Science journal suggests they made cave drawings in Spain that pre-date the arrival of modern humans in Europe by 20,000 years.

They also appear to have used painted sea shells as jewellery.

Art was previously thought to be a behaviour unique to our species (Homo sapiens) and far beyond our evolutionary cousins.

The cave paintings include stencilled impressions of Neanderthal hands, geometric patterns and red circles.

They occupy three sites at La Pasiega, Maltravieso and Ardales - situated up to 700km apart in different parts of Spain.

The researchers used a technique called uranium-thorium dating to obtain accurate ages. It relies on measuring the radioactive decay of uranium that gets incorporated into mineral crusts forming over the paintings.

The results gave a minimum age of 65,000 years ago for the cave art, modern humans only arrived in Europe roughly 45,000 years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-43115488

• Yuli Ban and BasilBerylium like this

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Makes one wonder what led to their extinction if they were capable of abstract thought - long thought to be something they lacked. Could it really just have been interaction and coexistence with Homo sapiens? If so, what did we have that they didn't?

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,150 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I think it's likely that they died out because they just died out and not due to some Romantic "lack of a certain human characteristic that the Noble Sapiens possessed" because we almost died out too. So the simplest answer is: we lucked out. They didn't.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Actually, upon closer inspection looks like we did have something over them - we were always more omnivorous. The Neanderthals that developed in the cold ice-age era environment of Europe were not - they were more carnivorous, since a lack of nutritious vegetation in the icy region couldn't support a massive brain's energy demands.

Perhaps when sapiens began encroaching on their territory, competing with the dwarves for their native megafauna prey and maybe overhunting, the dwarves had trouble coping in lean times and had to make a lot of compromises while the sapiens were able to subsist on berries, shoots and tubers.

Could also just be hanky-panky with the sapiens diluting their genes until their great-great-grandchildren looked nothing like em?

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Neanderthals, Art, Spain, Europe, 65000 years ago, La Pasiega, Maltravieso, Ardales

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users