Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

A Real World 'Star Trek' Replicator Is Now Possible Thanks To New Breakthrough

nanotechnology molecular nanotechnology matter replicator molecular assembler Star Trek nanofabrication carbon nanotube 3D printing material science phase changing material

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,148 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

A Real World 'Star Trek' Replicator Is Now Possible Thanks To New Breakthrough

A startup with alumni from MIT and Yale says it's made a breakthrough in creating a next-generation material that should make it possible to 3-d print literally anything out of thin air.
New York-based Mattershift has managed to create large-scale carbon nanotube (CNT) membranes that are able to combine and separate individual molecules.
"This technology gives us a level of control over the material world that we've never had before," said Mattershift Founder and CEO Dr. Rob McGinnis in a release. "For example, right now we're working to remove CO2 from the air and turn it into fuels. This has already been done using conventional technology, but it's been too expensive to be practical. Using our tech, I think we'll be able to produce carbon-zero gasoline, diesel, and jet fuels that are cheaper than fossil fuels."

• Sciencerocks likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,782 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Think Mattershift will become an everyday common name for the molecular factory?

"Hey, I'm gonna use the mattershift in a second..."

Hmmm... sounds plausible.

• Yuli Ban likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Make food with it that people can eat and allow us to feed the entire world.

End hunger!!!

• Yuli Ban likes this

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

looks like it's decent for creating chemical solutions, so as a bulk ingredient creator sounds great. Depends on how easy it is to change from one set of ingredients to another.

Right now making any food from it looks like it would be a pretty big complicated and probably not perfect process.

I do actually prefer this as a means of changing CO2 into other forms. I'd like to see it used to make plastics, carbon fiber, diamond and graphene.

• Yuli Ban and BasilBerylium like this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nanotechnology, molecular nanotechnology, matter replicator, molecular assembler, Star Trek, nanofabrication, carbon nanotube, 3D printing, material science, phase changing material

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users