Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Triceratops and Torosaurus dinosaurs 'two species, not one'

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland 18th September 2014 C.E.
Posted Image

A study has rejected claims that Triceratops and the lesser-known Torosaurus are one and the same type of dinosaur.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-17192624
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday
That thing on its head look like the draws that butterflies have on their wings.

Edited by CyberMisterBeauty, 02 March 2012 - 10:31 AM.

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
I would say they're subspecies. I have an Uncle who's a paleontologist and he wrote a book about Horned dinosaurs, (title: Horned Dinosaurs), and in it, he talks about these horned dinosaurs of this type and how have many different subspieces where each have different horn configurations but similar heads. So, I think the story is a little confusing. The claim was saying the Triceratops was a young Torosaurus, when in reality is likely just really a subspecies, with the Triceratops being the most famous of these species.

Edited by Dead Redshirt, 04 March 2012 - 04:14 AM.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Archaeologists do a fine job but when we're separated from these species by tens of millions of years and have only a handful of fossils to work with, we're bound to find that some of our understanding is wrong, we'll never been 100% certain about these creatures and how they really looked. An interesting one to think about, if we found this skull and had no other information to go on, could we ascertain it belonged to a creature with huge floppy ears, a long trunk and giant tusks? More educated men could probably ascertain some physical features, but still... (as an aside, it's scary how this elephant skull is not a million miles from the shape and features of a human skull...)

Posted Image
~Jon

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
I could say with almost certainty that this skull belongs to an Hell Knight... that's before they migrated to Mars. The skull looks eerily similar!

Posted Image
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Here's another very interesting article which features my Uncle towards the end: http://www.nytimes.c...s-disputed.html
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users