Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Dinosaurs and prehistoric life

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,279 posts
  • LocationLondon

I can't believe we don't have a thread for this already. Here we can post general articles, pics, videos or discussions about dinosaurs and other prehistoric life. Since it's a fairly broad and important topic, I've pinned it.

I'll start with this AMAZING (and slightly scary) image...

Quetzalcoatlus northropi, the largest known flying animal. Lived from 72 million to 66 million years ago.

DaZd1N6VAAAod1T.jpg

Oh, and here's Meganeuropsis, the largest flying insect...

These were able to survive only because Earth's atmosphere had a lot more oxygen back then (283.5–290.1 mya).

1Ii3vdA.png

ThRP4CE.jpg

• Yuli Ban likes this

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Quetzalcoatlus has long been a fascination of mine because it was basically a *flying carnivorous giraffe*. It could absolutely swallow a human in one bite if it wanted. I'll do some digging and see if I can find an old sketch of Quetzalcoatlus I animated.

• wjfox, Yuli Ban, Erowind and 1 other like this
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,798 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Quetzalcoatlus has long been a fascination of mine because it was basically a *flying carnivorous giraffe*. It could absolutely swallow a human in one bite if it wanted. I'll do some digging and see if I can find an old sketch of Quetzalcoatlus I animated.

I've always wondered how that monster is able to support such a large head with a tiny thorax, let alone fly it. Heck, giraffes have tiny heads so supporting their heads with long thin necks wasn't so out of the realm.

I guess the Quetzalcoatlus' reverse-bending forelegs have to support the body's forward center of gravity due to the apparent greater mass in the head-neck section, hence the crawling behavior of this creature when it's not flying.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,279 posts
  • LocationLondon

The short-faced bear.

Scientists speculate that these delayed human migration into North America, because they hunted us in the Bering Strait.

0bfaoe9l06kz.jpg

• Yuli Ban and Erowind like this

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

https://www.npr.org/...s-to-extinction

We got em in the end though.

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

I'll do some digging and see if I can find an old sketch of Quetzalcoatlus I animated.

I found it:

https://i.imgur.com/EH1lIHI.gif

It won't let me post as a gif :\ 

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,155 posts
  • LocationMars, August 9th 2069 C.E.

Fossil of 'first giant' dinosaur discovered in Argentina

10 July 2018

They are the biggest animals to have walked the Earth, with some weighing as much as a space shuttle.

However, it is unclear how dinosaurs grew to such massive proportions.

A new dinosaur discovery from Argentina gives fresh evidence on the rise of the giants.

The animal used a novel strategy to become super-sized, involving very fast growth spurts and efficient bird-like lungs, say palaeontologists.

The fossil was found in the northwest of Argentina during a field trip. The scientists found four skeletons in all, one of a new species and three of related dinosaurs.

• wjfox likes this

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,279 posts
  • LocationLondon

These half-billion-year-old creatures were animals—but unlike any known today

Aug. 8, 2018 , 7:00 AM

So-called Ediacaran organisms have puzzled biologists for decades. To the untrained eye they look like fossilized plants, in tube or frond shapes up to 2 meters long. These strange life forms dominated Earth’s seas half a billion years ago, and scientists have long struggled to figure out whether they’re algae, fungi, or even an entirely different kingdom of life that failed to survive. Now, two paleontologists think they have finally established the identity of the mysterious creatures: They were animals, some of which could move around, but they were unlike any living on Earth today.

Read more: http://www.sciencema...any-known-today

wIGKNgb.jpg

• Casey, Yuli Ban, Erowind and 1 other like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,279 posts
  • LocationLondon

The Elephant Bird Regains Its Title as the Largest Bird That Ever Lived

Sept. 26, 2018

History has not been kind to the elephant bird of Madagascar. Standing nearly 10 feet tall and weighing up to 1,000 pounds — or so researchers believed — this flightless cousin of the ostrich went extinct in the 17th century, thanks in part to humans stealing their massive eggs, either to feed their own families or to repurpose them as giant rum flasks. Or both.

More recently, the bird’s designation as the heaviest in history was challenged by the discovery of the slightly larger, unrelated Dromornis stirtoni, an Australian flightless giant that went extinct 20,000 years ago.

But a new study seeks to restore the elephant bird’s heavyweight title. After taxonomic reshuffling and examination of collected elephant bird remains, researchers say that a member of a previously unidentified genus of the birds could have weighed more than 1,700 pounds, making it by far the largest bird ever known.

https://www.nytimes....phant-bird.html

QrbBV55.jpg

• Yuli Ban and Erowind like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users