Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The Future of Mental Telepathy

Telepathy Mind interface weaponry mind interface prosthetics human to animal communication

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

I read the article I will link at the end of this post, and I begin to realize that this probably deserves its own thread. Topic tags I have listed for this thread include:

1. Telepathy.

2. Mind interface weaponry.

3. Mind interface prosthetics.

4. Human to animal communications.

So, the intent is to bring these four areas of mind/brain development into one thread.  In that way, we can began to see similarities in technological themes and developments.  Once that base line of information has been established, we can begin to speculate about the future of technological development in this field.  Of course, if you already have some ideas concerning this topic, feel free to express tweet like opinions, or perhaps even essay long type observations.

At any rate, here is the opening article as promised:

Are Human Beings on the Verge of Establishing Telepathic Communications?

http://mysteriousuni...ping-telepathy/

Introduction:

(Mysterious Universe) Telepathy, or the various related abilities to “read” other’s minds or communicate using means by means other than the usual face holes, is at the heart of a significant amount of both science fiction and paranormal research. Aside from allowing one to get extremely creeped out in public, the power to read or hear others’ thoughts would be of critical strategic advantage in politics, law enforcement, and the military. For that reason, the CIA and other clandestine organizations have experimented with various forms of telepathy over the years – to mostly no result. However, recent leaps in brain scanning technology, artificial intelligence, and human-computer interfacing have put humankind on the verge of developing real telepathy like never before. Will privacy become a thing of the past?

For years, many of the biggest names in technology including the no-longer-doubtfully-evil Facebook have been researching methods of technological telepathy. Some of the more terrifying iterations involve powerful artificial intelligence networks which can read your brain activity and recreate any visual information your brain is processing. To make things even more dystopian, MIT researchers have recently unveiled technology which can ‘hear’ and decode individuals’ inner speech. What will this spell for the future of interrogation, court proceedings? or law enforcement?

The device, called AlterEgo, consists of a goofy, obtrusive headset which detects and interprets minute electrical signals sent from the brain to the facial and vocal muscles. These signals are sent even when we are only ‘speaking’ inside our heads, meaning this system can essentially read people’s minds in real time. Through interpreting these signals, the device can essentially “hear” users’ inner thoughts. The device’s creators claim that they envision this system used to make technology use less obtrusive:

If I want to look something up that’s relevant to a conversation I’m having, I have to find my phone and type in the passcode and open an app and type in some search keyword, and the whole thing requires that I completely shift attention from my environment and the people that I’m with to the phone itself.

Human Beings Are On the Verge of  Developing Telepathy

Human Beings Are On the Verge of Finally Developing Telepathy Human Beings Are On the Verge of Finally Developing Telepathy

Human Beings Are On the Verge of Finally Developing Telepathy

• Casey likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Hyndal_Halcyon

Hyndal_Halcyon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Before I raise concerns, here's a handful.

• I've been playing around this concept long enough to have equipped an entire conceptual species with it.
  • Telepathy is an inborn ability of their species, embedded in the ever-so fluid brains of its constituent individuals as a semi-artificially developed lobe that handles all quantum internet traffic, establishing and destroying non-locality between similar lobe structures by functioning as a router. 
  • All those networked brains will essentially birth a cloud computing platform. With just about enough instances of those brains, quantum blockchain superorganisms are bound to wake up and assume the role of gods.
  • whatever kind of gods those would be, depends on whatever kinds of people there are. (might also be the other way around though).

Now, I think the article focused on the application of telepathy as a mind-controlled democracy - obviously political. It is as if having a literal technological window to the soul means the authorities can file a search warrant and enter through and seek or plant evidence there to protect every others' souls. I mean yes, technically they can but, that's not the only application .

I'd like to talk more about mind interfaces, which is exactly what telepathy is. it would be too revolutionary that it might just not happen at all but let's say that we already have devices that can:

1. read and translate rational thoughts into input signals
  2. process rational thoughts across hidden layers of neural networks separate from or embedded on our own neurons.
  3. write and broadcast irrational thoughts as an output

Firstly, just look at autocomplete feature of smartphones. With just about enough sample size, those telepathic devices can not only read and write. Sooner or later, they will learn (and believe me someone may already be teaching them) how to predict what they will read based on our inputs and what they will write based on what they will read and after that, well, the human brain is a prediction engine, but that's another thing. In the meantime, I just gotta say.

1. Businesses wouldn't be as challenging. depending on the level of integration, producers may already know what their customers will want and be there to provide it right on time.
  2. Frauds will become geniuses to have figured out a way to broadcast inconsistent information and get away with it regardless of these next-generation prediction engines.
  3. Memories will be files that can be shared, viewed, edited, deleted or otherwise.
  4. Memory conversion from one human-compatible format to another will be possible.
  5. Reality will be fragmented into orthodox, simulated, augmented, and various others in between.
  6. Psychokinetic prostheses would replace most buttons, switches, levers, knobs, sliders, touch-pads, etc.
  7. New programming languages for interfacing neurotransmitters and transistors will evolve as well.
  8. MindHacking will be more widespread than authorities will initially thought.
  9. Terms and Conditions will have extra sections that we might actually want to read because dude, it's our minds that'll be at stake.
  10. New Government Rules and Regulations regarding mind-mind communication
  11. Full Consciousness read-write because why not.
  12. Daydreaming will replace Web-surfing. Why use screens and papers when you can just buy a memory file from someone who has seen the news.

This is why telepathy is a scary thought. It's not just a means of mind-to-mind communication. it can also be mind-to-machine communication. we know pretty much what machines can communicate with, especially when the internet of things has matured. It's quite simple and safe to say that the same tech to give us telepathy will also give us telekinesis and when you have both, it's just the scale and degree of manipulation that will give us the rest of the superpowers even jean grey and prof. X will envy.

St. Elon Musk's neural lace is an inspired solution, along with what he said about merging our brains with our own AI's.

To me, both thinking structures are inherently flawed but also exclusively compatible because:

• Brains are flexible but neither efficient nor expandable. and
  • AI's are mostly rigid, making them efficient and modular

We should be the self-improving part of our AI's.

• Jakob and funkervogt like this

As you can see, I'm a huge nerd who'd rather write about how we can become a Type V civilization instead of study for my final exams (gotta fix that).

But to put an end to this topic, might I say that the one and only greatest future achievement of humankind is when it finally becomes posthumankind.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

I TRIED THE WRISTBAND THAT LETS YOU CONTROL COMPUTERS WITH YOUR BRAIN

https://www.theverge...ands-on-preview

Introduction:

(The Verge) EMG is widely used to measure muscle performance, and it’s a promising option for prosthetic limb control. CTRL-Labs isn’t the first company to imagine an EMG-based interface, either. Canadian startup Thalmic Labs sells an EMG gesture-reading armband called the Myo, which detects muscle movements and can handle anything from controlling a computer to translating sign language. (CTRL-Labs used Myo armbands in early prototyping, before designing its own hardware.)

This technology provides some clear benefits over the mass-market electroencephalography (EEG) headsets that are often sold as “mind-reading” devices. Those headsets pick up very broad brain activity patterns — often just a general state of concentration — and set them to trigger rudimentary computer commands. An EMG armband bypasses users’ noisy, complicated brains and draws from much clearer lower motor neuron signals before their relatively slow muscles react to those signals.

EMG isn’t foolproof. I tried Thalmic’s armband a few years ago, and although it could be eerily good at deducing my finger motion, it didn’t consistently recognize gestures, especially after I shifted the band or changed my arm position. “There are still challenges with EMG,” says neurotechnologist Chad Bouton, director of the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research’s bioelectronic medicine program.

One issue is interference from what Bouton refers to as motion artifacts. The bands have to process extraneous data from accidental hand movements, external vibrations, and the electrodes shifting around the skin. “All those things can cause extra signal you don’t want,” he says. An electrode headset, he notes, would face similar problems — but they’re serious issues for either system.

Reardon says CTRL-Labs’ band can pick out far more precise neural activity than the Myo, which Thalmic bills as a muscle-reading system rather than a brain-computer interface. And the band is supposed to work consistently anywhere on the wrist or lower arm, as long as it’s fitted snugly. (The prototype felt like wearing a thick, metallic elastic bracelet.) But Bouton, who uses EMG to find and activate muscles of people with paralysis, says users would get the best results from hitting exactly the same spot every time — which the average person might find difficult. “Even just moving a few millimeters can make a difference,” he says.

akrales_180516_2572_0132.0.jpg

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Starspawn found this article (see below) and started a separate thread with a link to it.  Because that thread is receding from the first couple of pages, I am taking the liberty of also citing the article here, as it is exactly the kind of news story I had in mind when I started this thread.

Microsoft is working on a Brain Computer interface, but for a good reason

https://mspoweruser....-a-good-reason/

Introduction:

(MSPowerUser) When we talk about computers connecting directly to your brain to interpret your thoughts and act on them, it evokes images of the Borg in Star Trek, but Microsoft is developing just such a technology, but for a very humanitarian reason.

Satya Nadella told attendees at Microsoft’s eighth Ability Summit in Redmond that Microsoft is developing brain reading technology to assist people with locked-in syndrome, a rare neurological disorder that only allows people to communicate by eye movement.

“How do you give them a language, because of just basically the ability to detect brain activity,” said Nadella.

Microsoft has in recent years brought a number of products designed to improve accessibility to market, including a Seeing Eye app which uses AI to describe scenes to those with visual difficulties and a new Xbox Adaptive Controller, which offers a cheap way for those with disabilities to connect adaptive controllers to their gaming console.

“To me, being able to sort of really take that and channel it, see things like at one week where you have these thousands of folks across the company come together and invent these new technologies has been eye-opening for me,” he said. “In fact, I’m just getting ready to even host a dinner with some of the researchers that are working on the brain — you know, human-brain interface.”

brain-computer-interface.jpg

If you would like to comment directly in the thread started by Starspawn, here is a link to that thread:

https://www.futureti...uter-interface/

• Yuli Ban likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Another good article found by Starspawn:

How to control robots with brainwaves and hand gestures

https://news.mit.edu...-mit-csail-0620

Introduction:

(MIT News) Getting robots to do things isn’t easy: Usually, scientists have to either explicitly program them or get them to understand how humans communicate via language.

But what if we could control robots more intuitively, using just hand gestures and brainwaves?

A new system spearheaded by researchers from MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) aims to do exactly that, allowing users to instantly correct robot mistakes with nothing more than brain signals and the flick of a finger.

Building off the team’s past work focused on simple binary-choice activities, the new workexpands the scope to multiple-choice tasks, opening up new possibilities for how human workers could manage teams of robots.

By monitoring brain activity, the system can detect in real-time if a person notices an error as a robot does a task. Using an interface that measures muscle activity, the person can then make hand gestures to scroll through and select the correct option for the robot to execute.

commanding-robots-with-hand-signals-brai

A system developed at MIT allows a human supervisor to correct a robot's mistakes using gestures and brainwaves.

Photo: Joseph DelPreto/MIT CSAIL

• Yuli Ban likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

This brain-controlled prosthetic will lend you a hand — and a whole arm

https://www.theverge...pernumerary-bmi

Introduction:

(The Verge) For years, scientists have been exploring how we can use signals from the brain to control prosthetic limbs. Usually, this work is focused on restoring motor function to people who have lost an arm or a leg, but new research from Japan shows how the same technology can also be used to augment existing human capabilities.

Engineers from Kyoto’s Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute have demonstrated how people can be taught to control a third robotic arm with their brains, even using the limb to multitask. As described in a paper published in the journal Science Robotics today, eight of 15 test subjects were able to successfully balance a ball on a board with their hands, while grabbing a water bottle with a brain-controlled robot arm.

Although this may sound like something out of science fiction, it’s important to stress that the functionality of this third arm is extremely basic. The prosthetic moved along a predetermined path and performed only a single gesture: closing and opening its hand. Similarly, the brain-machine interface used to control the arm is not some magical mind-reading device. It’s a cap fitted with electrodes that measure electrical signals produced by the brain. In this case, participants were asked to imagine opening and closing the robot hand. The scientists recorded this signal, and turned it into an instruction for the robot arm.

“What we’re measuring is leakage from the brain’s electrical activity,” Shuichi Nishio, one of the researchers involved in the study, tells The Verge. “We have to tune [the brain-machine interface] for each participant; selecting the right electrodes and frequencies.”

Even with these limitations, though, it is very interesting work. As Nishio and his colleague Christian Peñaloza point out in their paper, it seems to be the first time supernumerary limbs have been controlled using the human brain. Usually such prosthetics are operated using joysticks or, if connected directly to the human body, electrical signals from muscles.

Screen_Shot_2018_07_25_at_5.15.57_PM.153

Test participants had to balance a ball, moving it between colored shapes on a board, while grabbing a robot bottle with a robot hand.

• Alislaws likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Which reminds me of:

Doctor_Octopus_2004_film.jpg

https://www.bing.com...mage &FORM=IGRE

• Alislaws likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

TWO PEOPLE WITH PARALYSIS WALK AGAIN USING AN IMPLANTED DEVICE

https://www.theverge...mulation-device

Introduction:

(The Verge) After Kelly Thomas’ truck flipped with her inside of it in 2014, she was told that she probably would never walk again. Now, with help from a spinal cord implant that she’s nicknamed “Junior,” Thomas is able to walk on her own.

Thomas and Jeff Marquis, who was paralyzed after a mountain biking accident, can now independently walk again after participating in a study at the University of Louisville that was published today in the New England Journal of Medicine. Thomas’ balance is still off and she needs a walker, but she can walk a hundred yards across grass. She also gained muscle and lost the nerve pain in her foot that has persisted since her accident. Another unnamed person with a spinal cord injury can now independently step across the ground with help from a trainer, according to a similar study at the Mayo Clinic that was also published today in the journal Nature Medicine.

For the nearly 1.3 million people who are paralyzed because of spinal cord injuries in the US, the hope is that standing and stepping can help bring more independence, improve circulation and bone density, and boost cardiovascular health. “There’s no real treatment for people with this type of injury,” says Susan Harkema, associate director of the Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center at the University of Louisville and senior author of the New England Journal of Medicinepaper. “This isn’t taking them back to before their injury, but it’s giving them significant, incremental return of function, and health — and that can make their daily lives substantially better.”

Spine_Ctr_1428___Kelly_Jeff.0.jpg

• Alislaws likes this

Alislaws

Alislaws

Democratic Socialist Materialist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationLondon

Which reminds me of:

Doctor_Octopus_2004_film.jpg

https://www.bing.com...mage &FORM=IGRE

I can't wait until I can have terrifying octopus arms controlled with my mind!

*​dramatic music*

Or perhaps they will control me... 

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Sciencerocks found this story:

BrainNet allows three people to communicate using brainwaves to play Tetris
October 1, 2018 by Bob Yirka, Tech Xplore
https://techxplore.c...ves-tetris.html

A combined team of researchers from the University of Washington and Carnegie Mellon University has developed what they call BrainNet —a system that allows three people to communicate with one another using only brain waves. They have written a paper describing their system and how well it works and have posted it on the arXiv preprint server.

Prior research has shown that it is possible for two people to collaborate to a limited extent using brain waves to play a video game. In this new effort, the researchers have extended the idea to include a third person.

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Psychokinetic prostheses would replace most buttons, switches, levers, knobs, sliders, touch-pads, etc.

Most, but not all. It wouldn't be smart to get rid of the simplest, mechanical input devices. 

• bgates276 likes this

bgates276

bgates276

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Psychokinetic prostheses would replace most buttons, switches, levers, knobs, sliders, touch-pads, etc.

Most, but not all. It wouldn't be smart to get rid of the simplest, mechanical input devices. 

Yeah, try programming code, writing legal doctrine, or having a nuclear arsenal fired with just your mind. 

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,798 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

How will we protect ourselves from a random thought caused by the persistently natural misfiring by neurons?   

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Alislaws

Alislaws

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationLondon

Yeah, try programming code, writing legal doctrine, or having a nuclear arsenal fired with just your mind. 

agreed, brain control will be too unreliable for a long time. 

As far as programming, I think in the future we will see AIs which can interpret human language (and later thoughts?), and build programs rapidly based off those discussions

You'll still have programmers who actually get stuck in and build systems when efficiency is critically important, Or who add new types of programs and functions to the resources the AIs use to build code for more mundane stuff.

Anywhere you are not doing anything ground-breaking, There will be AIs with huge libraries of code snippets (annotated in a way the AI can interpret) which can be assembled into programs that do various things where you can say " I would like a payment system for my website with the following features" and get something that works and eventually (once the bugs are worked out the system itself) the code produced would be bug free. 

The hardest part is building an AI that can come up with an accurate outline of requirements based off a conversation with a human. By the time someone solves that, the rest of the stuff will probably be in place. 

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

My point is that, even if "brain control" were highly reliable, it wouldn't be a good idea to re-engineer the built environment so objects could only be manipulated through thought. For example, it will still make sense to have old-fashioned, mechanical doorknobs for use on the occasions when your telepathic implant were malfunctioning or experiencing interference. If all else fails, just grab the doorknob with your hand and twist. 

bgates276

bgates276

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Brain control may be unreliable, but it wouldn't necessarily be the fault of an implant. It would be the fault of the brain itself: most people simply don't have that much executive control over their brain functioning to articulate exactly what they mean, or exactly what they want, all of the time.  While we are definitely a step up from monkey's, I don't think it is true that humans are completely rational animals, at least not most of us. Speaking for myself, I make mistakes all the time in my thought processes. I often catch them, after the fact, but if a brain implant acted on everything I thought, in real time, by that point it would be too late. I don't know, perhaps there could be clever features, built into mind-control software, to get around this limitation in human cognition.

• funkervogt likes this

Alislaws

Alislaws

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationLondon

My point is that, even if "brain control" were highly reliable, it wouldn't be a good idea to re-engineer the built environment so objects could only be manipulated through thought. For example, it will still make sense to have old-fashioned, mechanical doorknobs for use on the occasions when your telepathic implant were malfunctioning or experiencing interference. If all else fails, just grab the doorknob with your hand and twist. 

You're right about the safety/convenience isues and I don't think there will ever be a situation where it is somehow cheaper to have an electronic door handle than a regular one, and the gains on something like that are non existent, unless you have some disability that makes opening doors the normal way impractical. 

You might get big corporate offices where you need to use your implants so they can keep track of everyone for security reasons I guess. At most people ​may ​ get electronic locks on their front doors which would probably have brain interface controls.

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Brain control may be unreliable, but it wouldn't necessarily be the fault of an implant. It would be the fault of the brain itself: most people simply don't have that much executive control over their brain functioning to articulate exactly what they mean, or exactly what they want, all of the time.  While we are definitely a step up from monkey's, I don't think it is true that humans are completely rational animals, at least not most of us. Speaking for myself, I make mistakes all the time in my thought processes. I often catch them, after the fact, but if a brain implant acted on everything I thought, in real time, by that point it would be too late. I don't know, perhaps there could be clever features, built into mind-control software, to get around this limitation in human cognition.

In the future, posthumans will look back at contemporary humans and see our inability to control our own thoughts and emotions as flaws every bit as tragic as our arbitrarily limited lifespans. 

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

This article was found by Yuli Ban:

Speech Recognition via fNIRS Based Brain Signals

In this paper, we present the first evidence that perceived speech can be identified from the listeners' brain signals measured via functional-near infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS)—a non-invasive, portable, and wearable neuroimaging technique suitable for ecologically valid settings. In this study, participants listened audio clips containing English stories while prefrontal and parietal cortices were monitored with fNIRS. Machine learning was applied to train predictive models using fNIRS data from a subject pool to predict which part of a story was listened by a new subject not in the pool based on the brain's hemodynamic response as measured by fNIRS. fNIRS signals can vary considerably from subject to subject due to the different head size, head shape, and spatial locations of brain functional regions. To overcome this difficulty, a generalized canonical correlation analysis (GCCA) was adopted to extract latent variables that are shared among the listeners before applying principal component analysis (PCA) for dimension reduction and applying logistic regression for classification. A 74.7% average accuracy has been achieved for differentiating between two 50 s. long story segments and a 43.6% average accuracy has been achieved for differentiating four 25 s. long story segments. These results suggest the potential of an fNIRS based-approach for building a speech decoding brain-computer-interface for developing a new type of neural prosthetic system.

• Yuli Ban likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

‘Merging man and machine doesn’t come without consequences’ 

https://www.thenatio...uences-1.780792

Introduction:

(The National) We can see evidence of the phenomenal power of the human mind all around us, in literature, architecture, science and much else besides. But what if that power could be tapped into directly, in a way that lets us create and communicate by using thought alone? It may seem far-fetched, but the continued improvement of brain-computer interfaces (or BCIs), where brain signals are used as controllers, now makes this more than a theoretical possibility. Recent advances in the way signals are collected and interpreted may lead to changes in the way we type, play games and interact with the world. But merging man and machine does not come without consequences – indeed, it raises profound questions about the nature of humanity itself.

At the end of last month, researchers at the University of Washington in Seattle published a paper describing a network they had created named BrainNet (see also post #10 above), which allowed three people, communicating via electrodes attached to their heads, to play a simple Tetris-like game on a computer. The messages being sent between them were hardly rich in detail – effectively just “yes” or “no” – but the researchers’ success in connecting several minds prompted a bold vision. “Our results,” they said, “raise the possibility of future brain-to-brain interfaces that enable co-operative problem-solving by humans.”

Experiments such as these largely rely on electroencephalography (EEG), which detects electrical activity in the brain either via implants or a headset. Those signals are then interpreted as closely as possible, processed and used to control external devices such as computers. EEGs were first used in consumer technology more than 10 years ago – the computer game NeuroBoy and a maze game called Mindflex both depended on EEGs to demonstrate a kind of “mind control”. But a decade is a long time in technology, and experiments this year have demonstrated the speed of BCI development. In June, scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology demonstrated the use of brain signals to guide a robot. Project leader Joseph DelPreto told website Engadget that it makes “communicating with a robot more like communicating with another person”. Also this summer, researchers in Kyoto used EEGs to allow a person to control a robotic arm, effectively giving them a third limb.

ASIMRM-00007283-001.jpg?f=16x9&w=1200&$p

Once problems of speed and accuracy have been conquered, it could represent a gaming revolution where controllers are no longer needed, and experiences become fully immersive

Illustration by Kareem Halfawi for The National.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Telepathy, Mind interface weaponry, mind interface prosthetics, human to animal communication

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users