Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Biomining: How microbes help to mine copper

Biomining Microbes Chile

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,284 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida, 2390 C.E.
Say bacteria. People think infection. Or yogurts.

But in Chile, bacteria are being used to get at something this country heavily depends on: copper.

Chile is the world's biggest copper exporter, and has the planet's largest known reserves of the red metal.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-17406375
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationAustralia
The world is going through a total metamorphosis. There is no time in history where we have achieved so much, which gives me hope for our civilisation being the first in all of human history to not collapse. But the biggest retardant to progress, I think, is not the politicians, but the population who are against progress because of religion, prejudice or being gullible. My family is among the prejudice section and I find it very frustrating trying to persuade them of things when they have such a galvanised outlook on something. Especially with GM where they refuse to buy GM products because they "don't like the thought of it" and they don't think "we should go down that road".

"Only take advice from people who have what you want"
"You wouldn't worry so much about what people think of you, if you realised how seldom they do" - Eleanor Roosevelt
"To improve is to change. To perfect is to change often" - Winston Churchill

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Well, in the coming decades, we futurists will have to be prepared to let them go as we progress forward. The world will become strange and blurred for them.
What are you without the sum of your parts?

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts
  • LocationCanada
I think it would be neat if we could genetically alter these critters to help us mine rhenium, which is one of the most in-demand and rare elements on Earth.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
  • LocationIllinois
This actually isn't surprising to me. Bacterial metal mining was talked about (albeit briefly) in a science fiction novel. The characters called it "bog iron" or something like that. There wasn't much information on it in the book, so I did some research and found out more about it.

Edited by Ru1138, 02 April 2012 - 02:42 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Biomining, Microbes, Chile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users