Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Tablet Operating Systems

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: What Tablet OS (20 member(s) have cast votes)

What OS do you want on a tablet?

1. iOS (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Android (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Windows 8 (10 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I have been thinking about getting a laptop lately, so I considered a tablet. The only thing that keeps me away from buying one is the mobile operating system. I want to be able to create with Microsoft Office, run .exe files and browse the internet easily; and I want it all on a tablet. So I haven't bought one yet. Windows 8 will be great for tablets, as you can run a full operating system on your tablet! The disadvantages of a tablet vs a laptop are easy to foresee.

A tablet does not have
  • A keyboard
  • A big screen size
  • Specs of a laptop
  • Great battery life
The windows 8 tablet will still be the best option in my opinion because I hardly ever use my phone or mobile OS for games.

I would be able to carry a mobile keyboard with me in my backpack for school, or for work (which my job uses a computer for everything).

The battery life could be a problem, but most of the time you are near an outlet, and you are probably using a keyboard when you are using the full OS, thus you are carrying a backpack or something to bring a power cable with. In a couple of years graphine or silocine will allow much more battery life though.

Specs, it is apparent that laptops and tablets are going to fight it out to the death. Laptops are dying, so companies like Acer and Apple are releasing ultrabooks. Tablets coming out this year will have 4 cores (a 5th one for power management). With that many cores and a gig of RAM already in phones, who knows what they can put in a high quality tablet, performance is not as big an issue than it was just one year ago.

Screen size, theseshould do the trick if you are that dedicated to your screens, I know its probably more than you will spend on the tablet, but its what we have now and it will only get better, smaller and cheaper in time.

EDIT: Windows 8 will have an app store. Hopefully, lots of good apps will be released for it. Either way you can run full programs like iTunes (which is the best music player for a desktop in my opinion.

Edited by SG-1, 08 May 2012 - 02:13 AM.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

RCM88x

RCM88x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
The only way I believe that Windows 8 will overtake iOS and Android is if they have an open app store like Android. iOS kind of a joke on tables but it still preforms the best out of the three because its meant to run on a iPhone. Personally I'm for android simply because of the openness and customization options compared to the others.

Tumaini12

Tumaini12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationUK
It would be so much better if one could install old, familiar Windows software on a tablet, instead of having to download - even pay for - a whole range of new apps, be it Android, iOS or Symbian. When I got my first Android phone I found that the bookmarks in many of my pdf ebooks didn't register on any of its pdf reader apps. Some pdfs created in Windows don't work at all in Android.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
There is always the piratebay haha. If you have Microsoft Office and the tablets don't have CD drives, you could pirate it. Or maybe you could run an emulator. Could you get into the BIOS? If you could then maybe you could run linux, or another version of windows. If its possible than I think people will make ROMs campatible with touch controls. That was what always annoyed me, not being able to create in Microsoft Office and run .exes. You wouldn't have to hack the tablet at all since its all open like a real computer is. The mod community probably won't be really big and limited to creating bootable ROMs.

Fedricwalls

Fedricwalls

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Windows 8 is most beneficial OS using and favorable in tablets. People finds more advanced features and application which is included in latest technology. Today is a time of quick updated generation, every one is rushed to getting latest device with having all the functionality and utilities.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

A tablet does not have

• A keyboard
  • A big screen size
  • Specs of a laptop
  • Great battery life

All wrong

- MSi's upcoming Windows tablet has a slide-out keyboard
- Asus have a 14" tablet
- x86/x64 tablets are quite powerful, though they do overheat a bit
- ARM tablets have great battery life, better than most laptops.

Edited by Nick1984, 14 June 2012 - 06:36 PM.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Some cool upcoming tablet/laptop hybrids

Samsung Series 7 Hybrid
Posted Image

Asus Transformer Book
Posted Image

MSi S20 Slider
Posted Image

Lenovo Ideapad Yoga
Posted Image

Asus Taichi
Posted Image

Dell XPS 12
Posted Image

Edited by Nick1984, 14 June 2012 - 09:14 PM.

Tumaini12

Tumaini12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationUK

There is always the piratebay haha. If you have Microsoft Office and the tablets don't have CD drives, you could pirate it. Or maybe you could run an emulator. Could you get into the BIOS? If you could then maybe you could run linux, or another version of windows. If its possible than I think people will make ROMs campatible with touch controls.

If it's Windows, you could download a virtual CD drive to your tablet - and run CD-ROM images ripped from the original discs on your desktop PC.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Pretty much any external CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive will work with a Windows tablet, providing the tablet has a USB port.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

A tablet does not have

• A keyboard
  • A big screen size
  • Specs of a laptop
  • Great battery life

All wrong

- MSi's upcoming Windows tablet has a slide-out keyboard
- Asus have a 14" tablet
- x86/x64 tablets are quite powerful, though they do overheat a bit
- ARM tablets have great battery life, better than most laptops.

14" is small compared to a laptop with much larger screens. Tablets just don't work well with 20"

ARM is not as powerful as i7 and is used because a big processor will suck battery

Battery life, tablets run down really fast when steaming video and running high graphics games. Some laptops have graphics cards that help

Keyboard - most tablets will probably be like the asus transformer and not slide out. Sliding makes it bulky.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Microsoft Surface RT and Surface Pro http://www.microsoft...us/default.aspx Posted Image

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
It's hard to believe we've gotten to this point technologically. Look at the thickness of this tablet and keyboard. Very soon, they'll just disappear and become fully holographic.
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Tablets are just the result of evolution (moore's law), holograms will require entireley new tech, a revolution.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I think what he was saying is that the only way to really get "smaller" is to use holograms; which can be projected from a physical device. I think the next thing after ultrabooks and tablets will be roll-up technology and printed electronics after that. Holograms today require a lot of computation to be viewed from any angle so they get around it by tracking eyes (up to 4 on one I saw online) and displaying a hologram for those people only. As computations get faster and more powerful holograms can be projected for all angles and better GPUs will allow full color range. Holograms today exist, but are only able to be viewed from a limited amount of eyes and are monochrome with ~15fps. 2030 is a good time to pin holograms on. 2010s will see the start of bendable electronics and the 2020s with printed electronics. All of those technologies exist today in some form but will have to get better for consumers.

MoPawnch

MoPawnch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTexas Wilderness
I like windows but I've become hooked on the Android OS due to the smartphone I have. Maybe it's the phone techie part of me. I am always on my phone and I do all my stuff on the go and this has made me favor the Android OS. However, I do like windows if my tablet is able to read discs (but discs may end up obsolete), my windows programs can be run. Windows will probably find a way around this if we are fortunate, and find a way to convert disc based windows programs into tablet compatible programs. All in all, Torrenting will end up being my #1 source of software because my budget won't allow it so it won't matter either way. I look at torrenting as a way to test programs and if they are worth the money, I'll buy them. I want the operating system to support customization with ease (no IOS in that case), to be compatible with previous purchased programs (android in that case), and to be my technology toolkit. I really don't need a lot out of a tablet and I already have all the apps I need for android so really android is my pick.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
What made you favour Android over Windows/iOS when selecting a smartphone?

Edited by Nick1984, 24 June 2012 - 06:29 PM.

MoPawnch

MoPawnch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTexas Wilderness
Mainly because I love the Samsung Galaxy so much.

Tumaini12

Tumaini12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationUK
Agree with you there - I've had my Galaxy SII just 1 month and I absolutely love it. It has none of the bugs I found in the Xperia X10 (so far, anyway...) Bendable or printed electronics will likely be the next big thing. Having the functionality and storage of a smartphone or iPad woven into your jacket would be useful in may ways. Your newspaper could be a cheap roll-up screen which automatically updates its contents from whatever news websites you subscibe to - and it could do everything a tablet PC does as well.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
I'd love a tablet you could fold into a phone, provided the whole surface is a screen and there's no visible joints.

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

To infinity, and beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

past noobs, Windows 10 is the best.

Pope Francis said that atheists are still eligible to go to heaven, to return the favor, atheists said that popes are still eligible to go into a void of nothingness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users