Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Electric Vehicles News and Discussions

electric vehicles hybrids batteries Tesla Prius Chevy Bolt Gigafactory EVs autonomous vehicles Elon Musk

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
^ Hope you don't mind, but I merged your thread with mine.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.
No, Don't mind WJ.
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Nom du Clavier

Nom du Clavier

Brain in a body-shaped jar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Location/dev/random

As to 500km range, well lets go with 300km range first ey.

500, 800 and 1000km will come along when advances and improvements in cell technology. give a take decade or two you'll have electric cars that'll have range of 1500km (single charge) and more.

Quite. Also, people generally don't drive 500km in one sitting anyway. If a battery can recharge in 15 minutes, an action radius of 500km is more than sufficient even for long distances. Think whilst people are at work, or during a break to stretch legs.
This amount of awesome cannot be from concentrate.

Andy

Andy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

A scheme that will allow electric car users to charge their vehicles across London has been launched.

From BBC

I love that the negative reaction is "the environmental gains are far less than they should be." Completely ignored the fact that localising emissions makes them easier to handle. From a Green Party member and all.
For everyone's sake, watch this video

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
The Rush To Electric Cars Will Replace Oil Barons With Lithium Dictators

http://www.fastcompa...nt-electric-car

alonzo-ny

alonzo-ny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I am not sure yet which would be better Hydrogen or Electric. Possibly Hydrogen can replace people who drive long distance a lot and electric for city drivers. I think I prefer hydrogen because it sounds cooler. Seriously though. I prefer whichever uses less energy ultimately. For electric we also need to solve the issue of rare materials in batteries.
  • wjfox and ddmkm122 like this

Innsertnamehere

Innsertnamehere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I believe the new tesla model s will have 3 ranges, 100km, 200km, and 300km. The shortest range will cost 40 grand less than the longest range. ($60,000 compared to $100,000) it will be a 4 door car, and will be marketed as a luxury vehicle.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://inhabitat.com...e-range-by-300/

Aluminum-Celmet Could Increase Electric Vehicle Range by 300%

by Timon Singh, 07/16/11

Much is being done to increase the range of electric vehicles, from improved lithium ion batteries to reducing the chassis weight. However, Japanese company Sumitomo Electric Industries (SEI) have developed a new material that they believe can improve the range of EVs by an impressive 300%.

The ‘super material’ is a form of porous aluminum called “Aluminum-Celmet.” It is a light-weight metal that SEI believes can be utilized in lithium ion batteries as its 3D structure can reportedly triple battery capacity. Made from nickel or nickel chrome alloy, Aluminium-Celmet is created through a combination of electro conductive coating, plastic foam, nickel plating and plastic foam. As a result, the material has a high porosity of up to 98%, which is much higher than other porous metals. Its mesh like structure also makes it easy to cut and mould for industrial purposes – namely hybrid vehicle nickel-hydrogen batteries.

Light, conductive and providing excellent corrosive resistance, SEI believes that Aluminum-Celmet is ideal for lithium-ion and other batteries that operate at high charge/discharge voltages. More importantly, if a material can be created than improves the range of EVs, then the general public will see the advantage of owning one. This discovery has the potential to increase the production of EVs, reduce the number of gas guzzlers and reduce carbon emissions.

Posted Image

:cool:

Sorok

Sorok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationQuebec
I read somewhere that the 'REAL' reason we're still in Afghanistan is because we discovered a huge vein of lithium worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 trillion dollars. Maybe this could help us further battery research for electric cars. Also, being that the unemployment rate in Afghanistan is somewhere in the neighborhood of 35%, the labor cost to mine this material would be dirt cheap. Electric cars won't hit mainstream US until the cost becomes competitive with combustion engine vehicles.
"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future"

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
I think im ready for some lithium dictators lol

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://www.physorg.c...liant-rare.html

Japanese researchers develop EV motor not reliant on rare earth metals

July 27, 2011 by Bob Yirk

Japanese researchers working out of Tokyo University of Science, have built what they describe as a motor for electric cars that does not require so-called rare earth metals; a move that could drive down the costs for such vehicles.

Rare earth metals are a set of seventeen metals that, despite their name, are not actually rare; instead they are widely dispersed in the Earth’s surface, making mining both difficult and expensive. Japan has been particularly sensitive to the use of rare earth metals in electric and hybrid motor creation, because the country doesn’t have a source of such materials of its own, and therefore must import it from other countries, most notably China, which some in Japan have accused of using monopolistic business practices. Thus, researchers in Japan have been hard at work trying to find either a substitute, or a way to make electric motors that don’t require the special properties of rare earth metals.

With the new motor, the researchers have opted for the latter and claim the new motor they’ve created has an output of 50KW and efficiency of more than 95 percent. They are calling it the “Switched Reluctance Motor” because it produces its electric charge by using the difference in magnetic resistance via rotation, when the electricity running though a coil is turned on and off, which means the motor doesn’t need a permanent magnet.

The team, led by Associate Professor Nobukazu Hoshi, showed off their new motor (which looks like a big tin box under the hood) that they say is approximately the same size as the motor used in a Toyota Prius, at the Techno-Frontier 2011 trade show in Tokyo last week.
And while the team does acknowledge that their motor is not able to produce torque equal to current EV motors, and thus is not as energy efficient, they believe further research will lead to breakthroughs that will make it more then competitive in the marketplace. There is also apparently, an issue with noise and vibration, but the team says it’s a minor problem that will be easily corrected.

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace
I do hope the change goes smoothly with minimal damage. Natural gas is a good alternative too since it will last till 2050. We can't have this thing happen again so natural gas should also be included. Any veichle off oil is a good thing. We just need effeiciency rates to go up as well as recharging time.

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Maybe by 2050 electric vehicles will be completely recharged by the sun. The energy will be sourced from "photovoltaic paint". In other words, the "solar panels" would be painted onto the car. And nanotechnology would be used to keep the car completely clean all the time, such as hydrophobic nan-particles to ensure full sun absorption.
I'm a business man, that's all you need to know about me.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/14571994

Supercar maker Ferrari says no to making electric cars

The chairman of Ferrari says he does not believe in electric cars and that his company will never make one.

Luca di Montezemolo's comments will anger many who say electric cars offer the only environmentally-friendly future for the industry.

He said: "I don't feel they represent an important step forward for [fighting] pollution, CO2 and the environment."

He said instead that the company was working on other alternatives.

"We are working very, very hard on the hybrid Ferrari," he said.

"This should be the future and I hope in a couple of years you'll see it."

More efficient Ferraris

Despite a slow take up of electric motor technology the car industry has over recent years begun to invest heavily in it.

Nissan is one of the big manufacturers to commit to the idea with its Leaf design one of the first to go into mass production.

German car maker BMW is among the latest to announce its plans.

It recently unveiled two new models which will launch its new electric motoring division BMWi.

The i3 is an all-electric small city car, while the i8, a powerful sports car, combines an electric motor with a three-cylinder combustion engine.

Despite dismissing a fully electric model di Montezemolo says he is ready to embrace any technology that will make Ferraris more efficient.

"We have improved fuel consumption 30% and we are working day and night in this direction," he said.

"[Also] the Kers (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) that we are using in Formula 1 is an innovation that we will put in our cars very soon."

Follow our technology reporter Dan Whitworth on Twitter

Innsertnamehere

Innsertnamehere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
They will make an electric car adventually, it's just a question of how long. Not in the next 10-15 years that is for sure.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
Hybrid trucks to pass 100,000 mark by 2017

Medium and heavy duty hybrid trucks – which includes hybrid electric vehicles, plug-in hybrids, battery electric, and plug-in electric power take-off variations – are expected to surpass 100,000 vehicles annually by 2017.

According to a report by Pike Research, the global truck market currently stands at around 3.7million vehicles and will grow at a rate of 4.1 per cent annually to reach 4.7million by 2017. However, the market for hybrid and plug-in trucks will grow at a far faster rate – at around 47.2 per cent between 2011 and 2017.

At the heart of the growth will be the Asia Pacific market, which will be boosted by various government activities, and will reach 41,657 hybrid trucks sold in 2017 – followed by North America with 25,952.

Pike senior analyst Dave Hurst outlines that with fuel prices increasing, truck manufacturers are expanding their offerings to help reduce emissions and fuel usage. However, hybrid trucks still face a number of barriers particularly relating to the cost of the system – they all have higher upfront costs and that results in a higher total cost of ownership for the vehicles.

As such he believes that government incentives and emissions or fuel economy regulations will be vital in promoting hybrids and plug-in trucks.

http://www.thegreenc...ss-100000-mark/

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
China poised to be world leader in electric cars

Do you have an electric car-charging station in your neighborhood? In your garage? I didn't think so. They're still pretty scarce, but that situation is likely to be short-lived. By 2017, according to a new report from Pike Research, there will be more than 1.5 million charging stations in the U.S. But that's not the news; the important factoid is that there will be nearly 7.7 million places to plug in worldwide, and "The Asia Pacific region will lead global electric vehicle charging equipment sales due to strong government incentives and directives in China, Japan and Korea."

That's right, China in particular is prepared to swamp the current charging station leader - the U.S. - in just a few years. The Chinese government says it wants to have 10 million chargers in place by 2020.

Chinese consumers are currently being offered a staggering subsidy, 60,000 renminbi ($9,400 U.S.), to buy an electric vehicle.

Read more -- http://www.physorg.c...r-electric.html

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon
Researchers Find That Electric Vehicle Battery Cost Could Halve by 2018

http://inhabitat.com...-halve-by-2018/

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
It's really ready for some time... Well maybe besides charging. Tesla Roadster is a sports car, so it's not made to be efficient but to be cool. And it totally is with 100 kph under 4 seconds, 210 max and 350 km range. So really we don't need too much technical advancement, but shift in way we percieve cars, maybe little less hostility from oil companies and charging stations on every parking lot.
  • wjfox likes this
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

Paris is launching its first car-sharing project as it aims to clear its traffic-clogged boulevards.

Posted Image

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-15134136

Well it's the first time for Paris to start it's first electric car sharing scheme and have 1,000 electric car stations by thr end of 2012
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electric vehicles, hybrids, batteries, Tesla, Prius, Chevy Bolt, Gigafactory, EVs, autonomous vehicles, Elon Musk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users